Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It's simple. If you have the iOS experience on iPad, why not get a phone that allows you to have a different OS experience and enjoy some of the things that iOS does not do as well?

I love having regular access to WebOS and Android. More fun...you miss out on less. But you seem - in the most objective, non-insulting use of the word - like an Apple loyalist. Which is cool. A couple of my best friends are the same. They dutifully lineup for every big product launch. I'm sure it's fun and exciting.
    because neither WebOS or Android offer me the music experience, email experience (iOS 4.0 email is the best), and access to my apps. I always have my iPhone on me. I do not carry my iPad everywhere. If I want to make an quick entry in my task app, or quickly check my corporate database on the go, cant do that on WebOS or Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You mean you don't use your ipad as an ipod? Surely that 10" screen means an even better music experience :P
    I dont go jogging with my iPad. Do you go jogging with your netbook?
    I'll say one thing: Looking at the hands-on videos of the Samsung Galaxy Tab, Apple should be flattered because they have copied the iPad experience as much as is possible, except they added a phone, GPS, and camera to it.

Yes they did. Everyone now who needs those features, can get a product with them in there -- at $1300. (800)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    because neither WebOS or Android offer me the music experience, email experience (iOS 4.0 email is the best), and access to my apps. I always have my iPhone on me. I do not carry my iPad everywhere. If I want to make an quick entry in my task app, or quickly check my corporate database on the go, cant do that on WebOS or Android.
    Like I said...my reasoning is for people that do not believe that one company/OS/suite of apps is the best at everything (i.e. most people).
    I dont go jogging with my iPad. Do you go jogging with your netbook?
    LOL...it gives me more of a workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Yes they did. Everyone now who needs those features, can get a product with them in there -- at $1300. (800)
    I think the price varies by country, and that's only in Europe. Here in the US, Verizon will subsidize it to some unknown extent.

I wouldn't mess with it anyway...I meant what I said about that rinkydink 1024x600/768 resolution. If I'm going to spend as much time with a device as I need to to justify a $500+ purchase, it ain't going to be looking at that low a resolution and watching 480p-ish videos with black borders everywhere.
    The point is, you CAN do this on your iphone. What it boils down to is it worth 499-829 more, to get a bigger version which makes things a bit more visually pleasing. Not yet is my opinion. I still have to lug around the laptop. Much of this is due to needing office, quickbooks, some tax & audit related programs, etc. But i do recognize my needs aren't the average consumer's needs.
    I think the price varies by country, and that's only in Europe. Here in the US, Verizon will subsidize it to some unknown extent.

I wouldn't mess with it anyway...I meant what I said about that rinkydink 1024x600/768 resolution. If I'm going to spend as much time with a device as I need to to justify a $500+ purchase, it ain't going to be looking at that low a resolution and watching 480p-ish videos with black borders everywhere.
    It will be interesting to see how well the subsidy argument will hold up here:

To some extent, everyone 'needs' a phone - they don't need this, and this won't be someone's primary phone, so the cost of ownership is the subsidized price PLUS the contract price.

Unlike a phone where the contract is a given, the phone really does seem cheaper. But here, the contract will be in addition to your phone, making the subsidy far less attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    It will be interesting to see how well the subsidy argument will hold up here:

To some extent, everyone 'needs' a phone - they don't need this, and this won't be someone's primary phone, so the cost of ownership is the subsidized price PLUS the contract price.

Unlike a phone where the contract is a given, the phone really does seem cheaper. But here, the contract will be in addition to your phone, making the subsidy far less attractive.
    Why couldn't one make this their primary phone? Samsung Galaxy Tab + bluetooth headset = more capable iPad for less upfront. That assumes, of course, that Verizon will have this available on a voice + data plan equivalent to, say, a Droid X. With iPad data being $30/month, would the monthly price of that plus an ATT phone be any cheaper, really, than having a Galaxy Tab and a bluetooth headset?
    The point is, you CAN do this on your iphone. What it boils down to is it worth 499-829 more, to get a bigger version which makes things a bit more visually pleasing. Not yet is my opinion. I still have to lug around the laptop. Much of this is due to needing office, quickbooks, some tax & audit related programs, etc. But i do recognize my needs aren't the average consumer's needs.
    I always hated this argument because it differs for every person.

Do I really need the 50 inch lcd I have in my living room, or would the 27 inch work too for 1/2 the price?

Do I need a BMW when a Chevy would do the same thing?

I use my iPad every day. When Im on the couch, its on my lap. I have no desire to ever touch my netbook or kindle again. It addition, it a fantastic business trip companion. I often don't need to take my laptop with me anymore on short trips. Can I do all of this on just my iPhone?...perhaps. But the experience is far better on the iPad. FOR ME, its worth the money.
    Nope. That "multitasking" is insufficient for my family. When you can open and queue multiple YouTube videos, Skype, and Facebook at the same time like a real computer, then we can talk.
    Ah - understood. So netbooks are pretty much out of the question here too then.

Also, what if I have to print at my parent's house? I guess I should tell them to buy a router and set up a home network on their ancient Compaq desktop just so I can wirelessly print?
    I don't think I can answer that one as I have no idea what your printing requirements are when you're at your parents house. Maybe my 89-year-old father could gift them with one of his spare routers and wireless access points.
    Why couldn't one make this their primary phone? Samsung Galaxy Tab + bluetooth headset = more capable iPad for less upfront. That assumes, of course, that Verizon will have this available on a voice + data plan equivalent to, say, a Droid X. With iPad data being $30/month, would the monthly price of that plus an ATT phone be any cheaper, really, than having a Galaxy Tab and a bluetooth headset?
    The same reason I wouldn't use my 3G enabled laptop as my primary phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ah - understood. So netbooks are pretty much out of the question here too then.
    Not really. My 11.6-incher has a stock Atom N270 with 2GB of RAM, and my wife can indeed queue multiple YouTube videos, see what's going on on Skype, and do this all while Facebooking. She only has to leave the browser to Skype. On iPad, she'd be doing this stuff one at a time and either jumping back to the homescreen or longpressing to bring up the task switcher.

All this on a smaller screen with crappier resolution on a device that cost more than double what we paid. It would also require an additional "connection kit" for her to hook up her camera and look at photo albums of our son growing up.

I don't think I can answer that one as I have no idea what your printing requirements are when you're at your parents house. Maybe my 89-year-old father could gift them with one of his spare routers and wireless access points.
    Thanks for that "typical" scenario...but, uh...I think we can agree that depending on wireless printing to be available wherever you go is a risky proposition for most, no?
    I always hated this argument because it differs for every person.

Do I really need the 50 inch lcd I have in my living room, or would the 27 inch work too for 1/2 the price?

Do I need a BMW when a Chevy would do the same thing?

I use my iPad every day. When Im on the couch, its on my lap. I have no desire to ever touch my netbook or kindle again. It addition, it a fantastic business trip companion. I often don't need to take my laptop with me anymore on short trips. Can I do all of this on just my iPhone?...perhaps. But the experience is far better on the iPad. FOR ME, its worth the money.
    The screen on the ipad is kinda fuzzy compared to the iphone. I'd say the experience is better on the iphone. IPad is awkward to use.

I'll leave it alone though. A big ipod works for you and that's great.
    A big ipod works for you and that's great.
    Yep, the same way a lot of people here are waiting for their big Pre to be released.
    Not really. My 11.6-incher has a stock Atom N270 with 2GB of RAM, and my wife can indeed queue multiple YouTube videos, see what's going on on Skype, and do this all while Facebooking. She only has to leave the browser to Skype. On iPad, she'd be doing this stuff one at a time and either jumping back to the homescreen or longpressing to bring up the task switcher.

All this on a smaller screen with crappier resolution on a device that cost more than double what we paid. It would also require an additional "connection kit" for her to hook up her camera and look at photo albums of our son growing up.

Thanks for that "typical" scenario...but, uh...I think we can agree that depending on wireless printing to be available wherever you go is a risky proposition for most, no?
    My 14" dell laptop with 8 gig Ram probably does it even better. Not sure why you are comparing a big netbook/laptop to an iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Are we really still arguing about how useful iPads are? There are probably two iPads out there for every webOS device which is amazing considering that the iPad was launched 10 months later most people need a smartphone and nobody really needs a tablet.
    Untidyguy;

Yep, the DISCUSSION is ongoing.

"Discussion: - That's people expressing thier personal views, ON TOPIC. I think most will find it interesting, no matter which side of the fence they sit on - its great to see how other people think - it expands one's mind and views.

But, you certainly have found a way to seque into berating WebOS and Palm, once again - every opportunity you get, it never, ever fails, but in this regard, its totally OFF TOPIC.

Please, stay on topic, and don't turn this thread into one where people have to start replying to you to defend WebOS.

Thanks, in advance!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

i just ordered an HP tm2 that should be here tomorrow.

4 pounds, full windows 7, full keyboard and trackpad, MULTITOUCH SCREEN, wacom pressure sensative screen + pen, 6+ hour battery life

i just cant be bound by a mobile OS yet.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    i just ordered an HP tm2 that should be here tomorrow.

4 pounds, full windows 7, full keyboard and trackpad, MULTITOUCH SCREEN, wacom pressure sensative screen + pen, 6+ hour battery life

i just cant be bound by a mobile OS yet.
    This is not a tablet, its a touchscreen laptop. Not sure what this has to do with an iPad.
    This is not a tablet, its a touchscreen laptop. Not sure what this has to do with an iPad.

it has to do with the fact a tablet doesnt have enough power to drive a full OS correctly. I WANT a tablet, but it wont do what I need it to....thus, I have gotten the next best thing
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast