Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Why use this over a laptop? How do you read an ebook on this thing? The most important question though is does it play Angry Birds?
    Isn't this what a big screen smartphone is for?
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Isn't this what a big screen smartphone is for?
    Oh no! You need the expansive real estate of an iPad to set up those especially tricky shots in Angry Bird!
  3. #43  
    Well its time for me to confess: I bought an iPad last night, and spent the evening setting it up - found this:

    1) Expose worked incredibly well compared to tabs;
    2) I do not like that Hulu forces you to Hulu+ on an ipad (meaning, fewer free programs);
    3) loved the unified email. Love love love it. I never want to use email on my laptop again;
    4) was pleasantly surprised by the keyboard. I'd used it before, but never for extended periods of time and was prepared to consider that a sacrifice in using an iPad, but it was absolutely not, not at all;
    5) pleased that the regular iPhone apps, doubled in size (which is an option, to fit the screen) still looked pretty darn good; and
    6) battery IS all that. I played with it all night, and its still at 80% this morning.

    I bought it knowing full well I have a month to decide if I want to keep it, and if I find some of the features lacking, like a camera, I will bring it back, but for now, I am giving it a whirl.

    didn't use my laptop at all last night.
  4. eps1lon3's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by omnicronx View Post
    Well not really.. if the touch had a battery that size it would most likely last a LOT longer than 10 hours. Its all about the screen, powering a 9.7" LCD (3x in size alone, forget the fact its also higher resolution) is the reason the iPad NEEDS a battery that big.

    The A4 cpu used in the iPad is most likely the real reason for the prolonged battery usage, its very efficient and uses a smaller 45nm process. If you look, the battery life usage is very similar to the iPhone 4. (10H video, 10H web on wifi, although 3g usage is a little bit lower)
    Meh, that wasn't my point. My point was just that the battery on the pad was many times larger than the touch's. I was just describing the similarities between the two. You're still spot on though.
  5. #45  
    I jail broke my iPad. To do this simply ( in your safari browser on your iPad) go to JailbreakMe. You will see a screen that looks like the ipad's home screen that says swipe to unlock. Simply swipe it and let it do it's thing. Once it is finished you will have an icon on your desktop called cydia. Open cydia and install from it the following...

    Backgrounder ( allows you to multitask)

    Proswitcher ( gives you palm pre cards while multitasking... You can even close a card by swiping up off the screen.... Just like the pre). Note you will need to go to settings, general, home and select double tap home button to search. Otherwise pro switcher will not work.

    Activator ( this works with backgrounder)

    Full force ( this allows you to force iPhone apps like Facebook or angry birds to display in high resolution as if they were perfectly optimized for the iPad).

    Cydelete ( this allows you to delete a cydia app
    Ike a traditional iPad app just by holding down on the icon)

    I have a picture of a verizon palm pre as my background.... And with the pro switcher cards it's as close to webos as we're going to get for the time being.... I have 6 apps open right now including pandora.

    Sent from my WebOS iPad
  6. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I jail broke my iPad. To do this simply ( in your safari browser on your iPad) go to JailbreakMe. You will see a screen that looks like the ipad's home screen that says swipe to unlock. Simply swipe it and let it do it's thing. Once it is finished you will have an icon on your desktop called cydia. Open cydia and install from it the following...

    Backgrounder ( allows you to multitask)

    Proswitcher ( gives you palm pre cards while multitasking... You can even close a card by swiping up off the screen.... Just like the pre). Note you will need to go to settings, general, home and select double tap home button to search. Otherwise pro switcher will not work.

    Activator ( this works with backgrounder)

    Full force ( this allows you to force iPhone apps like Facebook or angry birds to display in high resolution as if they were perfectly optimized for the iPad).

    Cydelete ( this allows you to delete a cydia app
    Ike a traditional iPad app just by holding down on the icon)

    I have a picture of a verizon palm pre as my background.... And with the pro switcher cards it's as close to webos as we're going to get for the time being.... I have 6 apps open right now including pandora.

    Sent from my WebOS iPad
    Take it up a notch and use Multifl0w.... Huge difference

    multifl0w - an iPhone multitasking interface

  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I jail broke my iPad. To do this simply ( in your safari browser on your iPad) go to JailbreakMe. You will see a screen that looks like the ipad's home screen that says swipe to unlock. Simply swipe it and let it do it's thing. Once it is finished you will have an icon on your desktop called cydia. Open cydia and install from it the following...

    Backgrounder ( allows you to multitask)

    Proswitcher ( gives you palm pre cards while multitasking... You can even close a card by swiping up off the screen.... Just like the pre). Note you will need to go to settings, general, home and select double tap home button to search. Otherwise pro switcher will not work.

    Activator ( this works with backgrounder)

    Full force ( this allows you to force iPhone apps like Facebook or angry birds to display in high resolution as if they were perfectly optimized for the iPad).

    Cydelete ( this allows you to delete a cydia app
    Ike a traditional iPad app just by holding down on the icon)

    I have a picture of a verizon palm pre as my background.... And with the pro switcher cards it's as close to webos as we're going to get for the time being.... I have 6 apps open right now including pandora.

    Sent from my WebOS iPad
    OMG!

    This is hilarious, and ironic, at the same time!

    For all those who are looking forward to a WebOS tablet, here it is, in full preview!

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    For all those who are looking forward to a WebOS tablet, here it is, in full preview!
    And months ahead of schedule ... with extra apps!
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Well its time for me to confess: I bought an iPad last night, and spent the evening setting it up - found this:

    1) Expose worked incredibly well compared to tabs;
    2) I do not like that Hulu forces you to Hulu+ on an ipad (meaning, fewer free programs);
    3) loved the unified email. Love love love it. I never want to use email on my laptop again;
    4) was pleasantly surprised by the keyboard. I'd used it before, but never for extended periods of time and was prepared to consider that a sacrifice in using an iPad, but it was absolutely not, not at all;
    5) pleased that the regular iPhone apps, doubled in size (which is an option, to fit the screen) still looked pretty darn good; and
    6) battery IS all that. I played with it all night, and its still at 80% this morning.

    I bought it knowing full well I have a month to decide if I want to keep it, and if I find some of the features lacking, like a camera, I will bring it back, but for now, I am giving it a whirl.

    didn't use my laptop at all last night.
    Welcome to the club.

    Now be prepared for people to tell you it's nothing but a novelty that does nothing that their laptop can't do, and how it's features are lacking.

    Once you use it for a week the keyboard gets even easier, and you will find yourself using it more and more. At home I probably do 80% of my web browsing on it.

    Enjoy!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to the club.

    Now be prepared for people to tell you it's nothing but a novelty that does nothing that their laptop can't do, and how it's features are lacking.
    That's absolutely true...for the people that say that.

    I don't think anybody is saying it's true for everyone. Enjoy your iPad. My iPad-owning friends enjoy theirs very much. It would be a colossal waste of money for me. Everybody wins.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Isn't this what a big screen smartphone is for?
    Um, reading newspapers, ebooks, websites, digital magazines, my entire library of technical manuals works far better on my 10 inch screen, compared to my 3.5 inch screen. Can you honestly say you dont see the difference?
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Um, reading newspapers, ebooks, websites, digital magazines, my entire library of technical manuals works far better on my 10 inch screen, compared to my 3.5 inch screen. Can you honestly say you dont see the difference?
    If i had an ipad and used it as much as you do, i wouldn't need an iphone. I'd probably get a Pixi or even a blackberry.

    But since i do have an iphone and think the screen is just fantastic on it, i don't see the need for an ipad. Yet. Maybe the next ipad with a more mature iOS might be worthwhile..
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Um, reading newspapers, ebooks, websites, digital magazines, my entire library of technical manuals works far better on my 10 inch screen, compared to my 3.5 inch screen. Can you honestly say you dont see the difference?
    I absolutely do, but if I had to read something on the go away from an outlet and inconvenient to a laptop, I'd rather do it on a 4-4.3-inch smartphone...and then quickly get to somewhere I could sit down with a laptop or netbook.

    1024x768/600 sucks as a resolution for me. I've used it on netbooks, and it involves too much scrolling. That's why the 11-inch, 1366x768 netbook is perfect, IMHO. It's great for the Web, and you can see true 720p HD video instead of squashed-down, letterboxed garbage.

    I'm not much of an eReader (almost all of the content you list aside from books is on the Web for free anyway), but if I was, I'd rather have a $99-$139 eReader. It's small enough to fit into the sleeve with the 11-inch netbook, and I could have both for the price of the cheapest, WiFi only iPad, but get more screen size, way more apps, way more capabilities, e-ink, way, way, waaaaaaay more storage, wired AND wireless printing, a videocam for Skyping, etc.

    Oh, and I wouldn't need ANOTHER computer just to move files on and off my machines. Again...just me. Great that your iPad works FOR YOU. I'd feel like I was robbing myself.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    But since i do have an iphone and think the screen is just fantastic on it, i don't see the need for an ipad. Yet. Maybe the next ipad with a more mature iOS might be worthwhile..
    Or just iOS 4.2 with multi-tasking and printing.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Or just iOS 4.2 with multi-tasking and printing.
    Nope. That "multitasking" is insufficient for my family. When you can open and queue multiple YouTube videos, Skype, and Facebook at the same time like a real computer, then we can talk.

    Also, what if I have to print at my parent's house? I guess I should tell them to buy a router and set up a home network on their ancient Compaq desktop just so I can wirelessly print?
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If i had an ipad and used it as much as you do, i wouldn't need an iphone. I'd probably get a Pixi or even a blackberry.

    But since i do have an iphone and think the screen is just fantastic on it, i don't see the need for an ipad. Yet. Maybe the next ipad with a more mature iOS might be worthwhile..
    Why a Pixi or blackberry and not an iPhone? Often I can buy apps and have them on both. For example, I love to use Omnifocus (task management program). They have both an iPhone and iPad app in which I can sync data between. Same for filemaker (database program).

    In addition, I use my iPhone as an iPod (I know its crazy). The music experience on the Pixi and blackberry is not nearly as good. I am not sure of you reasoning behind this.

    Yes, the iPhone 4 screen is incredible, but to small for the activities I use my iPad for.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Or just iOS 4.2 with multi-tasking and printing.
    But 4.2 will be on the iphone and offer the same? The ipad's OS needs to offer more. More capable apps. Ability to show multiple apps on device at same time..windows really.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Why a Pixi or blackberry and not an iPhone? Often I can buy apps and have them on both. For example, I love to use Omnifocus (task management program). They have both an iPhone and iPad app in which I can sync data between. Same for filemaker (database program).

    In addition, I use my iPhone as an iPod (I know its crazy). The music experience on the Pixi and blackberry is not nearly as good. I am not sure of you reasoning behind this.
    It's simple. If you have the iOS experience on iPad, why not get a phone that allows you to have a different OS experience and enjoy some of the things that iOS does not do as well?

    I love having regular access to WebOS and Android. More fun...you miss out on less. But you seem - in the most objective, non-insulting use of the word - like an Apple loyalist. Which is cool. A couple of my best friends are the same. They dutifully lineup for every big product launch. I'm sure it's fun and exciting.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Why a Pixi or blackberry and not an iPhone? Often I can buy apps and have them on both. For example, I love to use Omnifocus (task management program). They have both an iPhone and iPad app in which I can sync data between. Same for filemaker (database program).

    In addition, I use my iPhone as an iPod (I know its crazy). The music experience on the Pixi and blackberry is not nearly as good. I am not sure of you reasoning behind this.

    Yes, the iPhone 4 screen is incredible, but to small for the activities I use my iPad for.
    You mean you don't use your ipad as an ipod? Surely that 10" screen means an even better music experience :P
  20. #60  
    I'll say one thing: Looking at the hands-on videos of the Samsung Galaxy Tab, Apple should be flattered because they have copied the iPad experience as much as is possible, except they added a phone, GPS, and camera to it.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions