Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I understand what youn are saying and I agree. I was just calling him out on the battery life claim. If a laptop/netbook has the same battery life as the iPad, then it is going to be a lot bigger and heavier. I never said anything about HD video, and half of that 10 hours could be Netflix streaming.
    3lbs vs a 2lb ipad (ipad needs a case or you can't hold it well)? Seems "similar" again :P

If an ipad ever got the same functionality or features as my notebook then its going to need a much more capable OS, office, kb, etc. What you get with a very limited ipad still isn't worth a couple more hours of battery life or one lb less of carrying weight.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    The Ipad might be good with some things but its no notebook/netbook/laptop replacment by any means. Its made for quick operations/on the move work. Like others have said time and time again it is a Ipod on steriods. But I am going to be honest, I am comming from a biased stand point as I hate apple and just cant stand them. I hate walking into a library/coffee shop and seeing someone with their macbook/Ipad and acting as they are superior to everyone els just becasue they have a mac product. Apple is all about image. I just cant understand why people are willing to spend an extra 300-600 dollars on a apple product when they can buy a HP/Dell/Toshiba/Lenovo/Acer/Asus/etc for half the price and get the same service, probably alittle better even. Apple to me is all about saying, "hey im a ***** and have no idea about what i purchase as long as people say its cool and hip." If your a real techy then you would know better than to purchase an apple. Just my opinion on apple.
    The article really isnīt about the iPad, itīs about having the portable internet. Most everything he mentions like "limitless access to information" is true of ANY mobile internet capable device. iPad has a bigger screen, but 90 percent or more of what heīs "discovered" was already being done by millions on smartphones and pdaīs.

The iPadīs advantage is itīs packaging and speed. Two things that are easily imitated, if another company wants to put the money and effort into it. I hope HP doesnīt make just another plasticky also-ran, because webOS would truly shine on that form factor. Especially 2.0, now announced. Imagine stacks on the big screen? Virtual keyboard popping up by just tapping on the "Just Type" line?

PLEASE, HP, donīt blow it. Iīm holding back on the iPad just to wait and see the better version!
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I was so tired of the iPad's inability to multitask I jailbroke it... Now it does multitask but not even close to as nice as seen on the Pre. I will be getting the PalmPad when it comes out... My only hope is that it has a nice assortmant of medical apps as I use my i=ad in the ER every day.
    You might enjoy Expose on the iPad for a better task-switching capability when multi-tasking.
    (Begin rant here: )

I've thought long and hard about the iPad, and its potential benefit to me, and it all boils down to only one thing: reading lots of books instead of carrying many books around, and for that price, there are cheaper and better solutions.

I find it amazing that people want this new "toy". Seriously.

I DO get the "touch screen" fun of it all... I can absolutely appreciate that, but, when you take a step back from it, and look objectively, this isn't a device that is needed, but, one that was designed to create a product that will create more revenue for Apple, as its primary function, and not to really fill needs that arent already filled well with today's solutions in the market.

If I want real computing, I use my desktop PC.

If I need mobile computing, I use my laptop PC. (same sofware and internet access as above - no extra cost)
    If I have neither, and am in an airport, restaurant, etc.. I use my smartphone. (Palm Pre +).

I believe that Im representing more than most potential consumers - its a toy, and thats about it - why should I spend extra money on a device that can't do anything more than my other devices do, AND, what it does do, is slower and will cost me more money (in internet connection time, new device specific applications, and the cost of the new device, itself).

I do see, however, a specific need for tablet/pad devices in specific corproate/enterprise industries, where a smartphone, even a large one, might not be good enough:

-Package delivery services (UPS, Fedex, etc.. to obtain signatures, track packages, get last minute package information, pricing, placing orders from customers)
    -Medicine - doctors and nurses can carry one around with much better ease than a clipboard filled with tons of forms, to access the central database for the hopsital/health center.
    -Supermarkets/retailers - for inventory/ordering and central database interaction
    -Architects, engineers and surveyors, for field surveys of existing conditions, accessing construction documents for reference and/or revisions, etc..

But, for the consumer?

-Book reader.

Apple really has, IMO, put themselves into that position of selling something to create a market where there really was none.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, in the long run.. will these devices, by default, turn into smaller form-factor computers (like the mini laptops available now, just with a touchscreen?). If this does happen, then why buy this, when they are already available, and way more powerful, and can use existing services and applications you already have?

Or, will the consumer wake up and after the monthly additional bills come through, and realize that in this economy, where they are looking to cut costs, its probably the easiest decision to make to cut this one, and not feel any sort of technological sacrifice in doing so.

End of rant.. (sorry, just had to!)

Last edited by LCGuy; 09/01/2010 at 08:18 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

LCGuy,

Your rant is very well thought out, but it's a shame you can't try the iPad for a week or two. The iPad is the first Apple product I've ever paid for (was given a free shuffle once), so I'm far from a fan-boy. I was initially skeptical, but I haven't touched my Dell Mini 9 since I got the iPad. It won't replace my desktop at home or at work, but it's great for 80% of what I do at home and will be what I pack in my travel bag. I was like you, I had a long list of why I wouldn't like the iPad, but once I tried it, I was hooked.
    horatio;

My nephew had one a couple of months ago, wher ehe is using it for famly photo ablums.

I wasn't impressed, and it was somewhat clumsy for that use, I thought.

The iPad has no real appeal to me for everyday/semi-every day, or even occassional use, and, it is difficult for me to understand its appeal, OTHER than to buy a new "toy" to others, based on the above, but, "to each his/her own", for sure!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

If I want real computing, I use my desktop PC.

If I need mobile computing, I use my laptop PC. (same sofware and internet access as above - no extra cost)
    If I have neither, and am in an airport, restaurant, etc.. I use my smartphone. (Palm Pre +).

I believe that Im representing more than most potential consumers - its a toy, and thats about it

This is why random customers are not in product dev. You get too emotional.

Everything you just said is very specific to you, and you --as most people in here-- hardly represent the mainstream consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by omi205 View Post
    But I am going to be honest, I am comming from a biased stand point as I hate apple and just cant stand them. I hate walking into a library/coffee shop and seeing someone with their macbook/Ipad and acting as they are superior to everyone els just becasue they have a mac product.
    Wow. Hate much?

I'd ask you what they are actually doing (versus you making an assumption based on looks and/or products they have in hand) that portrays superiority to you, but I suspect it's just the act of being there that sends you in to such a judgmental tailspin.

I doubt they are literally saying a word to you or kicking your puppy.

Dang.. Some of you folks need perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    This is why random customers are not in product dev. You get too emotional.

Everything you just said is very specific to you, and you --as most people in here-- hardly represent the mainstream consumer.
    What Apple did made all kinds of sense. Make the ipod touch bigger. People know how to use it already. Can use the same simple apps that people already own for their iOS devices. There's definitely a market there.

I think what LCGuy and others are saying is that its just not really a needed product except for perhaps specific niches.

The main question is...is there a market there for others? I'm not sure. Android pads? Probably. But enough to split among a dozen or more makers? No idea.

Palmpads? Depends on HP getting webOS devices out and big name apps.

BlackPad? No idea since i'm not a RIM user. It's hard to imagine this doing well though.
    finngirl;

This is why random customers are not in product dev. You get too emotional..
    Emotional???? Ok, I shouldn't have put the smiley's in there.. you are right.. being friendly is an emotion, and that certainly swayed my post in a bad way.... NOT!!!!! (geez)

Have no idea what justification you have for this statement, but I CAN tell you, from experience, that random customers are used in the product market sampling prior to release; perhaps the average consumer is much more fickel and less pragmatic, on the whole, than i'd like to believe?

Well, now, I started off the post saying as much, prefacing my post. Addtionally, I DID say that "I believe that Im representing more than most potential consumers", however I freely admit that many may not think as I do; pragmatically speaking, this device makes no sense to buy or make room for, especially in a time when our economy has been in a very serious "pause", and the average consumer is feeling that pain in very real, significant ways (people losing jobs, homes, declaring BK, costs skyrocketing for college, etc..)

That's my opinion, and whether most will agree with it or not is certainly worth watching over the next year or so.

Believe me, if this did fill a vital need, I'd be the first to say it - I LOVE gadgets of all kinds - you should see me in a store like "The Sharper Image".. .
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/01/2010 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The fact is that the iPad is a huge success and is changing the the way that people use computers. If you don't understand why then you can try to figure out why, continue to be perplexed, or just ignore it like it's not happening.
    Don't think it's changing the way people use computers at all. It is changing the way they view computers, and I think they're beginning to see that if their needs are mostly media playing, games, browsing, email, and social networking....that there are now devices that do all of that in a more fun package with better battery life.

But it's just an extension of a computer. You need a computer to use the iPad in the first place.

There were tons of tablets shown at CES because a lot of hardware companies wanted to "be in the tablet space" but few or none of them were ready to pull the trigger until the iPad launched in April and was proven to be a success this Summer. Now they are scrambling to get their devices to market before the holiday season. Each is looking for some kind of differentiating feature whether it is useful or not.
    I haven't really seen much differentiating at all. There is no OS really ready for mainstream touchscreen tablet use right now aside from iOS, so that's the big roadblock. Android is fine except that it's difficult for tablet makers to get access to the market, get the latest version, and put it on robust hardware. Doing so at an iPad-esque price point is even more difficult. Windows 7 is not for tablets. WebOS will get there...eventually.

Once the competing tablet OSes are there, the competition will be there.

By the time that webOS tablet is launched sometime in 2011, the market will be littered with dozens of Android tablets and the next gen iPad, Windows 7 tablets, and a Blackpad. I see no reason why anyone would consider a webOS tablet over the others unless they happen to hate Apple, like waiting for software, or they want to connect to their favorite printer on a regular basis.
    Can't really make this statement until we see what WebOS 2.0 has or what the tablet offers hardware-wise. We don't even know what the BlackPad or next-gen iPad will offer. Too many variables and question marks.
    Untidyguy;

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The fact is that the iPad is a huge success and is changing the the way that people use computers. If you don't understand why then you can try to figure out why, continue to be perplexed, or just ignore it like it's not happening.
    Well, gee, thanks for your permission to do one of three things that totally do not apply to me, how I think, or how I posted! (However, somehow, I just don't feel as gracious as I think you want me to feel, by the condescending tone of your post, though).

For YOUR information, my post showed exactly how, in my opinion, it is nothing more than a "toy" and beyond unecessary. But, wow, what do I know, right?

I also offered two possible solutions at the end that might come to pass.

I also DID show how there might be a need for such a device in certain, dedicated industrial/enterprise situations, rather than consumers but, true to form, you didn't address that, did you? Bit, I digress...

In fact, the rest of your post clearly was meant to be your usual instigatng, negative HP/Palm, and Pro Apple (or anyone OTHER than Palm/HP), so, Im not even going to address it, as I dont take it personally - this is what you do every chance you get, here.

Thanks for the feeback, though, its been appropriately considered.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/01/2010 at 10:55 AM.

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Reasons for the iPad's excellent battery life: http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/j...oGMfcUka.large

That black thing that takes up about 70% of the device is the battery. The actual mainboard is the same size as the iPod Touch. Imagine running a touch on a battery that size, and you have the iPad (with a faster processor). So while it really is just a giant touch, its really the OS that makes it different. It's just a big screen formatted version of iOS with some specifically made apps. Those apps and a bigger screen are all that differentiate it from an iTouch/iPhone, and it works for some people. It's a shame Apple has a monopoly over this form factor as of right now.

That said, it's not too late to fight the pad wars. At the very least it would be easier than the smartphone segment of the market. HPalm could really do some *** kicking if the execution is right.
    I have an iPad, but I can't say it replaced my computer. No, no ma'am!
    I use it when I don't have any other option.
    Ya me too man, it sits in front of my TV for when I don't want to go to the computer, and it comes with me on long tips, thats about it.

I was also really bummed by the fact the TV out only supports 1024x768 4:3 (its native resolution).

This all being said, I'm don't see how my habits would be changed by a new device.. (android/palm powered etc).. So i don't really have a problem with the iPad in general.(aside from the damn TV out!!)
    That black thing that takes up about 70% of the device is the battery. The actual mainboard is the same size as the iPod Touch. Imagine running a touch on a battery that size, and you have the iPad (with a faster processor)
    Well not really.. if the touch had a battery that size it would most likely last a LOT longer than 10 hours. Its all about the screen, powering a 9.7" LCD (3x in size alone, forget the fact its also higher resolution) is the reason the iPad NEEDS a battery that big.

The A4 cpu used in the iPad is most likely the real reason for the prolonged battery usage, its very efficient and uses a smaller 45nm process. If you look, the battery life usage is very similar to the iPhone 4. (10H video, 10H web on wifi, although 3g usage is a little bit lower)
    Quote Originally Posted by omnicronx View Post
    Well not really.. if the touch had a battery that size it would most likely last a LOT longer than 10 hours. Its all about the screen, powering a 9.7" LCD (3x in size alone, forget the fact its also higher resolution) is the reason the iPad NEEDS a battery that big.

The A4 cpu used in the iPad is most likely the real reason for the prolonged battery usage, its very efficient and uses a smaller 45nm process. If you look, the battery life usage is very similar to the iPhone 4. (10H video, 10H web on wifi, although 3g usage is a little bit lower)
    The Ipad screen resolution is 1024x768 (786,432 pixels) versus the original iPhone/iPod at 480x320 (153,600 pixels) is 5.12 as many total pixels to illuminate and control!

You are right, that is likely the primary reason for the CPU and battery size - and this approaches the laptop computer issues known for years, regarding battery life.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/01/2010 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    The Ipad screen resolution is 1024x768 (786,432 pixels) versus the iPhone/iPod at 480x320 (153,600 pixels) is 5.12 as many total pixels to illuminate and control!

You are right, that is likely the primary reason for the CPU and battery size - and this approaches the laptop computer issues known for years, regarding battery life.
    That's not the resolution of the iPhone with an A4 powering it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That's not the resolution of the iPhone with an A4 powering it.
    Mikah;

Correct - its the iPod and original iPhone.

Just cutting and pasting from his post.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Amazon.com: Acer Aspire TimelineX AS1830T-3721 11.6-Inch Laptop (Black): Electronics

I mentioned "similar" and 10 hours vs 8 hours is similar. I'm sure the ipad is superior in battery life. But 8 hours isn't bad either considering its an actual computer running an i5 dual core processor. While an ipad is simply a bigger ipod. I'm not interested in 10 hours of video.
    Why use this over a laptop? How do you read an ebook on this thing? The most important question though is does it play Angry Birds?
    Last edited by mobileman; 09/01/2010 at 03:53 PM.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast