Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys quick question, Android is supposed to be opensource or whatever.

A developer told me I can take Android change it to whatever i want it to do, and google will have no say in it and i can use it for free. So pretty much take whatever open source code is out on google, modify it and make my own OS out of it, use it and have complete control over it.

Is this correct? I have a feeling google still has control over it somehow, because how were they supposed to implement their strategy of putting their ads in there.

Can someone who has knowledge on this please answer.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    The ads are through the apps, not the os.

So yeah, it's fully open source and you can do what you want with it, create a rom (which many have, like 'cyanogen'). But if you wanna install an app that has ads, well, then there are the ads. Of course you could also implement an ad blocker in the rom.

It's the same with Chrome (or chromium, as the source is called). You can make anything you like out of it.

But take it from a former pre and current android user... it's not as good as webos.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Yes, Google does release their source code to the public, and they're fairly indifferent add to what happens to it. This is what allows companies like HTC, Motorola, and Samsung to customize the front end UI (with Sense UI, Blur, and Touch Wiz respectively). It's also what allows guys like Cyanogen to build their own custom ROMs and release then to the public. Where things got sticky for him was that things like Youtube and Google Maps are considered proprietary, and Google actually sent him a Cease and Desist letter over them (but not the OS). Here's Cyan's post on GIS own website about it.

The current state.. | CyanogenMod
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    Yes, Google does release their source code to the public, and they're fairly indifferent add to what happens to it. This is what allows companies like HTC, Motorola, and Samsung to customize the front end UI (with Sense UI, Blur, and Touch Wiz respectively). It's also what allows guys like Cyanogen to build their own custom ROMs and release then to the public. Where things got sticky for him was that things like Youtube and Google Maps are considered proprietary, and Google actually sent him a Cease and Desist letter over them (but not the OS). Here's Cyan's post on GIS own website about it.

The current state.. | CyanogenMod
    Ok so its pretty much open source then, so i can take the android OS without their propietary apps, make it look like WebOS have my own app store, and have complete control over it correct? like Cynogen is the OS based on android and he has complete rights over it, besides the intellectual property that google owns, correct?
    you should get the terms of use from their website. I'm sure they won't let just anyone do it, because they have to support it. certain parts of the OS stack are closed source, so it would also depend on whether the open source stuff would be sufficient, if you could fill the gaps, etc.

As long as you are a major phone maker, they won't care. But, if you want to put it on a toaster or a lawn mower... maybe not. Get their terms of use and a magnifying glass and check it out.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    you should get the terms of use from their website. I'm sure they won't let just anyone do it, because they have to support it. certain parts of the OS stack are closed source, so it would also depend on whether the open source stuff would be sufficient, if you could fill the gaps, etc.

As long as you are a major phone maker, they won't care. But, if you want to put it on a toaster or a lawn mower... maybe not. Get their terms of use and a magnifying glass and check it out.
    I'm not concerned about the closed source, i want to know whatever open source that they have under the apache license if i am able to take it modify it and use without google interfering with anything. It seems like the guy from the from that link did just that. I will try to take a look at the terms and conditions hopefully i can find them and its not 100 pages. the only info i found was on source.android.com
    I believe stuff like andoid market are part of the closed source and that you wouldn't be able to remove it.. But that's not to say that you couldn't implement the palm app catalog as well
  8.    #8  
    What i read is that the android app catalog, the maps, and youtube apps ect. are part of the "google experience" but you can opt to not use it.

I'm not concerned with the closed source, im just curious about the open source apache licsense, and if i can use whatever is under that licsense and have full control over the use.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    actually you can have it with no app market access. you actually have to play your cards right to GET access, as some tablet manufacturers are finding.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    so gseldi, you planning on making a webos-esque custom android rom?

ooh! You can call it WebOesque!
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    Hey guys quick question, Android is supposed to be opensource or whatever.

A developer told me I can take Android change it to whatever i want it to do, and google will have no say in it and i can use it for free. So pretty much take whatever open source code is out on google, modify it and make my own OS out of it, use it and have complete control over it.

Is this correct? I have a feeling google still has control over it somehow, because how were they supposed to implement their strategy of putting their ads in there.

Can someone who has knowledge on this please answer.
    i don't think that is correct. according to this article Google has very tight control over changing android. apparently it's open from the app developer perspective. But they excercise more control over who can alter the underlying software.

Point is, from a software (app) developer standpoint, the platform is open source. But that's once it's already installed on a handset. And after talking to a friend who's a sometime app developer the other day, I realize it's far easier to get an app approved for Android than for the iPhone. But from the pre-phone side of things - you know, the part where the actual Android software is developed before being loaded onto handsets - Google has a very tight hold, despite the Apache 2 license. Is the Android truly open source? | NetworkWorld.com Community
  12.    #12  
    I think i got my answer, i believe google has control over it when you want to use their version of android, you know with all the google stuff on it. But if you take whatever free code they have on the apache 2 license, customize it, change it, and do whatever you want to it, you can still use it for free, and i don't need googles permission if i want to load it on whatever device i plan. I only need their approval if i am going to use their branding.

Google has a say when you decide to use the "google Experience" because thats made up of their closed source also. For some reason we all think google owns android, they don't android is open source, so HTC, Google, Samsung, Motorola can all own their own flavor of android.

and anybody please correct me if i'm mistaken.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    so gseldi, you planning on making a webos-esque custom android rom?

ooh! You can call it WebOesque!
    lol, i was planning on using the android open source code to build an OS instead of building an OS from scratch and paying alot more for it, but even if i can use android open code to get most of it out of the way. I don't think i will be using android at all since they just got sued from oracle over the way Java is used in their platform.
    That type of legal action happens all the time between the tech companies and will likely take a couple years to flush out. Also, I believe the suit only takes issue with the use of dalvik cache and how it was "implemented". If you were not going to use this portion of the code, it may not impact you.

My guess would be that you would... since it is one of the strengths of Android... but it may depend on what your intentions are for this new OS.
    A lawn mower with webos? Badarse idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    That type of legal action happens all the time between the tech companies and will likely take a couple years to flush out. Also, I believe the suit only takes issue with the use of dalvik cache and how it was "implemented". If you were not going to use this portion of the code, it may not impact you.

My guess would be that you would... since it is one of the strengths of Android... but it may depend on what your intentions are for this new OS.
    Yes the issue is with dalvik, but i believe the whole android OS is heavily dependent on it since alot of it is written in java, Im sure there are ways to replace java in it.
    Ok so its pretty much open source then, so i can take the android OS without their propietary apps, make it look like WebOS have my own app store, and have complete control over it correct? like Cynogen is the OS based on android and he has complete rights over it, besides the intellectual property that google owns, correct?
    Two things to remember with your plans for greatness:

1. If you release your phone to the rest of the world, you'll have to release the OS open source software associated with it as a condition of the GPL.

2. Be prepared for a 'look-and-feel' lawsuit from HP if you attempt to profit from the WebOS appearance.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Two things to remember with your plans for greatness:

1. If you release your phone to the rest of the world, you'll have to release the OS open source software associated with it as a condition of the GPL.

2. Be prepared for a 'look-and-feel' lawsuit from HP if you attempt to profit from the WebOS appearance.
    I was just using webos as an example its not going to look like it, i think multitasking will be better then webos. Why would i have to release my OS? It's under an apache license which mean whatever additions i add i dont have to release back into the community. Thats why HTC hasn't released their sense ui interface, because they aren't obligated to.
    I was just using webos as an example its not going to look like it, i think multitasking will be better then webos. Why would i have to release my OS? It's under an apache license which mean whatever additions i add i dont have to release back into the community. Thats why HTC hasn't released their sense ui interface, because they aren't obligated to.
    HTC does release the (kernel) source code.

Froyo code for HTC EVO 4G, Droid Incredible goes open source -- Engadget Mobile

HTC - Developer Center
    Android OS is GPL, not Apache. If you use the Android OS for a device, you have to distribute the OS source code (or ensure its availability). If you make separate programs (like an interface) then you don't need to distribute it under GPL, but if you modify the source code of the OS, under GPL your modifications need to be "open" (i.e. distributed) too. That's the whole point of OSS and the GPL.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast