Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Android OS is GPL, not Apache. If you use the Android OS for a device, you have to distribute the OS source code (or ensure its availability). If you make separate programs (like an interface) then you don't need to distribute it under GPL, but if you modify the source code of the OS, under GPL your modifications need to be "open" (i.e. distributed) too. That's the whole point of OSS and the GPL.
    "The preferred license for the Android Open Source Project is the Apache Software License, 2.0 ("Apache 2.0"), and the majority of the Android software is licensed with Apache 2.0. While the project will strive to adhere to the preferred license, there may be exceptions which will be handled on a case-by-case basis. For example, the Linux kernel patches are under the GPLv2 license with system exceptions, which can be found on kernel.org" -source.android.com

"With the exception of brief update periods, Android has been available as open source since 21 October 2008. Google opened the entire source code (including network and telephony stacks)[30] under an Apache License.[31]

With the Apache License, vendors can add proprietary extensions without submitting those back to the open source community." -wikipedia

The kernel is GPL licensed, I understand about releasing the kernel if i make changed, but how much of the OS is in the kernel?

is this wrong?
    Last edited by gselsidi; 09/01/2010 at 04:34 PM.
    The kernel, the interface, and the bulk of the OS utilities are GPL. There are several included programs (Mail, GMail, Calendar come to mind) which are not GPL.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The kernel, the interface, and the bulk of the OS utilities are GPL. There are several included programs (Mail, GMail, Calendar come to mind) which are not GPL.
    How come htc isn't forced to release their sense ui?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    I'd wager because Sense isn't an OS, just a skin.
    rwhitby maybe able to clarify all these questions

he's like superman, just call his name and he usually responds
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by RBallard View Post
    I'd wager because Sense isn't an OS, just a skin.
    yea but its part of the interface. IDK what to believe either way like i said before probably not going to use android at all since of all the java issues with davlik and all. just wanted to know what options i had available.
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    yea but its part of the interface. IDK what to believe either way like i said before probably not going to use android at all since of all the java issues with davlik and all. just wanted to know what options i had available.
    SenseUI is no more an integral part of the Android OS than a 3rd party Mail program or yet-another-app-launcher. They are all programs that operate on top of the OS layer and may be proprietary or open source. SenseUI is like KDE or Gnome for handhelds - it's not an integral part of the OS.
  8.    #28  
    i dont know dude like i said before android states its software is apache license and the linux kernel is the gpl license. According to you then WebOS should be open source also, but its not, only the kernel is because its linux.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12