Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I think he mentioned some time ago that he was considering it. Just saw in his blog that he got one.

    Naturally, my first thought was "An iPad? What about the tablet that Palm is supposed to be making?" Well, he speaks to that in his blog post.

    I read the post and the only question in my mind is, how far off is the PalmPad (or whatever it will be called) that he couldn't wait? Sorry, it's just the way my mind works. Anyway, before anyone takes this to mean anything, his bottom line is it
    ...doesn’t imply anything about anything else other than the iPad is a useful tool...
    Also, webOS fans will enjoy the very last sentence of the post. :-)
  2. #2  
    I'm glad he's not being an fan boy and isn't some brand loyalty sheep who cling onto anything bad people say about other platforms and anything good about the Palm platform. Sad he has to go and explain why he bought an ipad in the first place, but I guess that's the reality of things.
  3.    #3  
    I'm not surprised he had to explain. The assumption is generally that you dogfood your own products (as he has stated). Nothing wrong with owning/using a competitor's product at all IMO, but I guess it's different when you start looking at the "perception" given off by high-level people. Remember Rubi's "I've never used an iPhone" or MicroSoft's "we Bing, Bing, Bing" comments?
  4. #4  
    Who's this Chuq guy?

    -Sent from my iPad.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Who's this Chuq guy?
    Chuq Von Rospach is Palm's new Developer Community Manager: Palm Hires Chuq Von Rospach as its New Developer Community Manager - Jobwire
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  6. #6  
    As said in The Art of War... you cannot hope to defeat an enemy if you do not study them closely and live among them (paraphrase).
    Actually, it's good to see these guys grab competing products and get to know them. This is how you learn and develop a 'wish list' that you can address with your own product.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Who's this Chuq guy?
    Nobody special.

    As to why I couldn't wait -- fair question, and the timing of our tablets is really irrelevant to the issue. I really needed a good e-reader, and I have some non-Palm personal projects involving my photography I want to experiment with. I could have bought a Kindle for the e-reading, but the other things I want to experiment with need more than a Kindle and a color screen, so the cost difference to move to the low end iPad was worth it. And most of what I'm doing will transfer easily to a different tablet once I have one (and I can carry it in public).

    For my, time is always a critical resource. Tools that conserve time are good investments. And I've been really interested in the tablet format since long before the iPad was announced, and so it makes sense now to have one I can experiment with so that the work I do on the webOS tablet down the road benefits from the experimenting I'm doing now.
  8. #8  
    Nice to meet you Chuq, its good to see palm hiring new people, as opposed to the senior staff leaving one by one for the past few months.
  9. #9  
    Great to have you on here Chuq! As I stated, I think it's great to see you guys trying out and using other products. I really have a need for a tablet-style device for my work but already know the iPad -while great looking - won't fit the bill for me and am waiting to see what HP brings. I hope there are many like you playing with competing products to get a feel for what is missing that really needs to be added to take that category to the next level.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Nice to meet you Chuq, its good to see palm hiring new people, as opposed to the senior staff leaving one by one for the past few months.
    Chuq is not a "new hire". He's been with Palm for a while.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by chuq View Post
    the timing of our tablets is really irrelevant to the issue.
    Interesting. I've never been satisfied with surface answers (again, just the way my mind works), but I can't debate this with you (for obvious reasons). In the end, it's not like you owe me or anyone else an explanation. All I can say is..."interesting".
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It does point out an important question, though, - Why would anyone wait for a webOS tablet when they could get an iPad right now?
    For me, it's because the iPad does nothing for me. It looks sleek, but I don't want a big iPod Touch - I'd rather save the money I'd spend on that and put it towards something that will suit my actual needs.

    Ok... back on-topic now
  13.    #13  
    I have friends that have worked at places like Coca-Cola and Kleenex who claim you'd be fired if you were to bring in a competitor's product to your job.

    Personally, I think it's crazy for a company to demand this. Just because I work for you, does not mean you control what I purchase/use. However, does anyone think it is a valid concern that some of these companies have? I ask because we've all seen how some places like to make it seem that someone is "endorsing" a product simply because they have a photo of them using it. Does stuff like that have an effect on perception (and thus sales/mindshare) at all? Isn't this why companies do photo ops with celebs and such?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It does point out an important question, though, - Why would anyone wait for a webOS tablet when they could get an iPad right now?
    Don't think too many people are waiting. Apple is selling every one they put out, but this isn't a death stroke for any competitor. Apple has stroked demand and set the bar. Now, we'll see what happens when iPad 2 hits and other competitors are actually available in brick and mortar stores.

    HP is definitely shooting to have...something...to offer by then.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I have friends that have worked at places like Coca-Cola and Kleenex who claim you'd be fired if you were to bring in a competitor's product to your job.
    I've contracted at Coca-Cola headquarters here in Atlanta. That's not an exaggeration. It even goes to ANY product owned put out by Triton Corp (Pepsi's owner) such as Taco Bell, Doritos or Pizza Hut.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I've contracted at Coca-Cola headquarters here in Atlanta. That's not an exaggeration. It even goes to ANY product owned put out by Triton Corp (Pepsi's owner) such as Taco Bell, Doritos or Pizza Hut.
    I almost did a contract with Coca-Cola years ago (back in my PowerBuilder days). I still think it's crazy, but I guess it's their building and their rules. Question: While not at work it wasn't a problem, was it? I mean, if your boss had run into you one weekend and you had a Pepsi in your hand, would it have caused problems the following Monday when you got back to work?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I have friends that have worked at places like Coca-Cola and Kleenex who claim you'd be fired if you were to bring in a competitor's product to your job.
    The iPad has no competitor, that is, unless you are thinking about all those Windows tablets HP has been trying to sell for almost a decade. HP makes Windows based computers, but I bet the place is full of Macs. It's not about dogfooding; it's about using the best tool for the job. Bottom line, if you want a tablet, you want an iPad. That's just the way it is right now.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The iPad has no competitor, that is, unless you are thinking about all those Windows tablets HP has been trying to sell for almost a decade. HP makes Windows based computers, but I bet the place is full of Macs. It's not about dogfooding; it's about using the best tool for the job. Bottom line, if you want a tablet, you want an iPad. That's just the way it is right now.
    I said "competitor's product" which is not the same as "competing product". But I hear your point.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by chuq View Post
    For my, time is always a critical resource. Tools that conserve time are good investments. And I've been really interested in the tablet format since long before the iPad was announced, and so it makes sense now to have one I can experiment with so that the work I do on the webOS tablet down the road benefits from the experimenting I'm doing now.
    Hey! Thanks for posting! Those are all good reasons to purchase an iPad - I feel the same way about mine. I'm also pleased to see you 'checking out' the competition. I was quite surprised when Jon Rubinstein declared never used an iPhone. It's always a good idea to see what the competition is up to ... and what the marketplace likes/dislikes about their products.
  20. #20  
    Got one too, and while I can say it's a good product, it could do with webOS running on it
    The thing I like about the iPad is yhe awesome battery life, something the webos table MUST have in order to be successful.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions