Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Can people point me to some videos demoing webOS and Android for some critical functions? I've tried some youtube searches, however I'm not terribly satisfied with those results when trying to compare what a webOS like use would be compared to Android. Deciding on a smartphone around christmas, and coming from winmo 6.1, so everything is open.

Priorities include calendar (mixing work and personal), personal hotmail and work exchange email, mapping/navigation software, and music playback. I couldn't see me using many apps if these core functions are handled correctly. One bonus would be 720p video recording, but I don't know if that is coming with webOS 2.0. Thanks.

Also one quick edit- I'm on tmobile, so already I am limited to get an unlocked ATT phone I believe, depending on what radios the new device comes out with.
    Last edited by phaet2112; 08/28/2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by phaet2112 View Post
    Priorities include calendar (mixing work and personal), personal hotmail and work exchange email, mapping/navigation software, and music playback. I couldn't see me using many apps if these core functions are handled correctly. One bonus would be 720p video recording, but I don't know if that is coming with webOS 2.0. Thanks.
    Okay, so here's a link to a video on this site with the Palm Pre in action..

I haven't seen it in a long time, but it should help.

But I can tell you from personal experience, the blended calendars and email works like a charm with gmail. I have no experience with hotmail, just gmail. Perhaps other Pre users can talk about hotmail integration. I know that there has been some issue with hotmail integration for all smartphones, but I don't know the specifics.

I like the google maps app, but it's safe to say that the implementation on Android 2.2 will be better. If you search the forums you'll learn that google maps has some issues on Verizon. There is a GPS fix app that helps everyone.

Music playback is good. If you can get your hands on Nanplayer, then do so. It is AWESOME. And in my opinion better than Android. (You can set playlists to play based on your location. How cool is that!)

No 720p playback. That's rumoured to be on the horizon with the next device.

And here comes my harsh reality statement.

If you need a phone right now with great Google maps integration and 720p video then go with Android.

But... if you are able to wait, just a little while longer. Palm is about to release a SUPER AWESOME phone. I don't know any more than most people, but there have been some very compelling signals that it will happen in a few weeks.

If you are able to be patient, then it WILL be worth it. WebOS is great, but the Pre is seriously lacking in the hardware dept these days. That will change soon, very soon. And when it does, trust me. WebOS will ROCK your world. The multitasking is the best in the industry. The touchstone is awesome. I know you have no idea why, but if you get one, trust me, you can't go back to plugging in your phone. The modding community is the best. I'm not just saying that. If you want to mod your Android, it will depend on who makes it, what version of Android, and then you'll have to figure out which mods work on which version. WebOS is super crazy simple to mod. And it works on every phone. Everywhere. And you have real 3D gaming. On every phone. Period.

If you need something right away, Android is a great platform. And no need to feel any kind of guilt or remorse. But if you're able to wait, just like, for another month, maybe month and a half, it will be worth it. Trust me.
    I can't wait. I am eligible for upgrade in november. I love webOS but I am really needing new hardware. I've played around with a few different android devices and just don't like them. I've played with my brother's blackberry and still no. When I heard about windows phone 7 I thougt "awesome!" But now that I've seen videos of it in action, I don't see it happening for me either. I HAVE to have a webOS phone. Even if that means holding on to my pre for a bit longer.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I've checked out some websites about "roadrunner" from HP and the potential high res display, 1.2ghz processor, etc. I am waiting until xmas or after, so waiting isn't a problem. That sounds good, and I like the syncing with the calendars and email. I think carriers may be a problem for me, being on Tmobile for cost and uncertain about which carriers HP will release the new Palm device to.
    I just bought a verizon pixi plus and absolutely love it. Does everything i need it to do...great form factor. If i want to due heavy browsing i use my work or home computer.
    A friend turned me on to webOS. She loves it! I do to!
    i don't know any more than you do, but I really think Palm/HP will come out with something very compelling.