Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone done this switch, and if so how was it. Got the Evo on 6/4, and its cool, but damn Froyo 2.2 with it's battery life/bugs.

I also had the Pre when it 1st came out ala 1.1, and the phone was a jewel. I love the way it multi tasks, and it's notifications.

So, anyone out there did the switch?

Sprint|Samsung Epic
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I checked those out before posting the thread, but thanks.

I have a Pre and an Evo and the Evo battery life is better. I cannot think of anyone else who said that Android 2.2 made the battery life worse. Almost everyone has said it was better or the same.

What apps do you have running? Are you using a task killer?

There are a couple of Android apps that are notoriously big battery hogs.

Do you get good signal?

Do you leave 4G on when you are not using it?

Do you use JuiceDefender?

- Craig
    I would say you have an offending App or are sitting in a bad signal area for long periods.

EVO battery life is significantly better than my Pre.

EDIT: BTW 4G is pretty bad on the battery life. If you are leaving it on, this may be the culprit. Especially if you are going in/out of 4G areas. I would turn the 4G radio on when you are going to use it and otherwise leave it off.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    EVO (really Android 2.X) has very good idle/standby performance.
    My Pre sitting on my desk on wifi with nothing actively running, or being used and only checking a couple email accounts was dead within ~20hrs. It literally just sat on my desk the whole time.

My EVO easily lasts 16-20 hours of actual real life moderate usage.

Of courses actively using the phone is going to significantly drain the battery for either phone. But to me standby performance is huge.
    Running 2.2 on the Evo and I can easily get 30 hours on a single battery charge (standard battery). I'm very cautious of the apps I install, and have an airave at home to supplement my terrible reception.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Running 2.2 on the Evo and I can easily get 30 hours on a single battery charge (standard battery). I'm very cautious of the apps I install, and have an airave at home to supplement my terrible reception.
    WOW, you are a lucky one. Everyone that I know with an Evo, are all rocking extended batteries. My little brother is using a 2600Mah, and he loves it, but the look is horrible.

I have tried every tip/trick that Android Central has to offer, but I guess my Evo is just a bad unit.

I guess I have to pay my local Sprint store a visit soon.

Thanks for all the replies...

Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    WOW, you are a lucky one. Everyone that I know with an Evo, are all rocking extended batteries. My little brother is using a 2600Mah, and he loves it, but the look is horrible.

I have tried every tip/trick that Android Central has to offer, but I guess my Evo is just a bad unit.

The thing that helped me the most was minimizing the sync frequency. I have Facebook syncing only once a day, scaled the weather back to every 6 hours and turned off sync for things like stock, news, etc.

Having anything using a data connection in the background will easily kill your battery. Twitter, Facebook, etc. especially if you're in a low-coverage area. Also, use wifi when you can but when you're out and don't have access to wifi turn the wifi radio off; having your phone's wifi turned on and it continuously looking for an access point will also quickly drain a battery.

I use the stock battery with no task killers. I get really great battery life using all the common sense stuff I used to do with my pre. Turn off radios that I'm not using. Keep syncs to a reasonable limit (but I keep my gmail accounts on push), dim the screen when appropriate, etc. Same stuff I do with a laptop. With widgets, it takes a tap or two to fully configure my device for a specific situation. In fact, there are apps that will do this automatically for you.

As of this writing, I've been unplugged for just over 11 hours and I have 71% battery remaining.
    I tried android for 3 weeks via a hero while waiting on an EVO to come in and decided to return to the far easier to use pre. I've also played with an EVO a fair amount... While android has some delightful apps and the EVO has an amazing browsing experience it is SO much easier (and fun) to execute basic tasks like calls and texts on the pre (sped up thanks to uberkernal of course). Very glad to be back and based on that experience, sticking with this until the next palm phone comes along...

What apps do you have running? Are you using a task killer?

Do you get good signal?

Do you leave 4G on when you are not using it?

Do you use JuiceDefender?

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by lastidavailable View Post
    it is SO much easier (and fun) to execute basic tasks like calls and texts on the pre
    Really?

Call: Long press search button and say "Call [person's name] on the mobile phone."

Text: Long press search button and say "send text to [person's name] [message]."

Reminds me of that GEICO commercial...so easy...
  13.    #13  
    milominderbinder

What apps do you have running? A few, nothing major...

Are you using a task killer? No...

I found the main one, and its called Locate Me which runs with Weather Bug Elite. I deleted it last night, and good lord the difference in battery life is amazing.

Do you get good signal? Yes on 3G, and 50/50 on 4G...

Do you leave 4G on when you are not using it? Its off now...

Do you use JuiceDefender? No...

Will I finally found something on Evo or Android that I would love on the Pre, especially if they come out with a Touchscreen only interface. Swype - Swype | Text Input for Screens which is one of the coolest things I've checked out in a while.

Very cool and the guy who showed it off on his Evo thinks it is one of the best things 3rd party on any platform. I asked what he thought of Froyo and he's words were simple...it sucks and he tried to speak search the same he did instantly with Swype auto input and it just didn't work. For him, Froyo killed his tasks kiling application functions...Froyo just reloads them and he's been using taskmanagers "killers" since the original G1 and now he can't on his Evo.

Not sure since I use a Pre, but still interesting getting someone else non-webOS opinion and good to see something interesting like Swype, which would be a great addition for Palm's webOS present and future line-up. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Will I finally found something on Evo or Android that I would love on the Pre, especially if they come out with a Touchscreen only interface. Swype - Swype | Text Input for Screens which is one of the coolest things I've checked out in a while.

Very cool and the guy who showed it off on his Evo thinks it is one of the best things 3rd party on any platform. I asked what he thought of Froyo and he's words were simple...it sucks and he tried to speak search the same he did instantly with Swype auto input and it just didn't work. For him, Froyo killed his tasks kiling application functions...Froyo just reloads them and he's been using taskmanagers "killers" since the original G1 and now he can't on his Evo.

Not sure since I use a Pre, but still interesting getting someone else non-webOS opinion and good to see something interesting like Swype, which would be a great addition for Palm's webOS present and future line-up. Sorli...
    Task killers should never be used in the first place.
    That's an "Amen!" in my book.
    ...There are a couple of Android apps that are notoriously big battery hogs.

I found the main one, and its called Locate Me which runs with Weather Bug Elite. I deleted it last night, and good lord the difference in battery life is amazing...
    Did deleting Locate Me solve your battery problem?

I also had a battery drain with WeatherBug. I deleted it and installed The Weather Channel and it helped a lot.

- Craig

Well, my Evo also is not hot in the battery department, if I don't do anything spectacular (i.e calls, interntet, e-mails - 10 hr). Otherwise I am charging on middle of the day.
    That's interesting...that EVO owner said he used Task Killer or something like that like Crack..."run, and Free up 28mb of RAM...I loved it and found it very useful." I don't own one, so not sure really, but thanks anyways for the reply. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    That's interesting...that EVO owner said he used Task Killer or something like that like Crack..."run, and Free up 28mb of RAM...I loved it and found it very useful." I don't own one, so not sure really, but thanks anyways for the reply. Sorli...
    Yeah. There are basically two schools on task killers. You either love them or hate them. They really aren't necessary because android does a really nice job managing memory. However, some prefer to have as much memory available as possible and task killers tend to free memory more aggressively than the OS does (android tends to free memory on an as needed basis).

The issue is that one must be careful about which tasks are killed because some will be restarted by the OS. This can result in battery drain (task killed, restarted by the os, killed, restarted by the os, etc.). So some, myself included, prefer to just let android handle tasks and not worry about it.

On the rare occasion that I find an app behaving badly, I deal with that specific app accordingly.

In the end, task killers are a personal choice and I choose not to use them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast