Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    He loves his iPhone,but he travels on business to places in the US that don't have any AT&T service (like Sturgis,SD)
    He asked me if I could add him to my Sprint Family Plan. He would like to tether the Sprint phone to his laptop and have a phone that works.
    I'm currently using 3 phones on my plan,sharing 1500 minutes and usually use less than 1000 a month.

I would like to have an older iPhone (mainly for Shazam.) Would it be fair trade for him to add me to his AT&T family account?

Your thoughts and advice?
    I can't say I'd ever recommend adding a "buddy" to anything I have involving a contract that only I am obligated to pay. Heck, I only do that with immediate family...and after careful consideration. But that's just me.
    I don't know, most business calls are to land lines and the calls can add up pretty fast.
    how exactly is an iphone going to share a sprint plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    how exactly is an iphone going to share a sprint plan?
    Mi-fi?

He would like to tether the Sprint phone to his laptop and have a phone that works.
    if he is tethered to a sprint phone, what is he talking on?
    What sort of 'business' did your friend have in Sturgis, ND? Selling motorcycle parts or leather chaps?
  8.    #8  
    He would tether his laptop with a used Pre that I add Mobile HotSpot to. He doesn't use a phone much in places like Sturgis,as he's too busy making and selling pizzas and Cokes 15 hours a day. Generally, he only makes business calls to Sysco, if his pizza ingredients run low.

I would buy a used iPhone to add to his AT&T account.
    I see. He can use skype from his laptop.

your issue is can you add a friend or do you have to lie that he is family?
    I would get the Early Termination Fee plus $150 upfront. That would cover if he dies or quits paying. Did you want a used phone and another monthly bill before he wanted on your family plan, seems like you could get a used ipod touch for $100 and no monthly bill if you just want shazam. Anyway good luck.
    Plus you because tethering isn't smiled upon by Sprint, I would definitely worry about data usage calling Sprint's attention. He could seriously mess up your account in many ways (data, overages, termination, etc). Friends are friends... never go into a contract situation with them - fastest way to ruin a friendship. Small claims courts are full of friends helping friends out with cell phones and the whole thing going bad.
    Don't. Do. It.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I see. He can use skype from his laptop.

your issue is can you add a friend or do you have to lie that he is family?
    Sprint does not care if it is truly a family member, from my experience.
    Neither do any other carriers that I have ever dealt with.

EDIT: Having said that, I would be very wary of doing this. Unless you are VERY comfortable with the responsibility and your trust in your friend. You can monitor minute, sms and data usage near real-time online with your Sprint account.
  14.    #14  
    Shazam doesn't work on an IPod touch (Please don't ask

I appreciate the comments!!

I'm not too concerned about his overusing the Pre. He only has events that last a total of one month out of a year where he wouldn't use his own iPhone. Plus, I would be on his AT&T account with my (to be purchased used) iPhone.

Just thought of another way to help him without adding him to my account. I have a second Sprint line (with my old home phone number) and I rarely have calls on it. It is a Nextel phone,but I could get a used Pre (which I already had been considering doing) and let him use that phone for the one month..
    "Shazam doesn't work on an IPod touch (Please don't ask)"

WikiAnswers - Does Shazam work on the ipod touch 2 Gen
    "Shazam doesn't work on an IPod touch (Please don't ask"

WikiAnswers - Does Shazam work on the ipod touch 2 Gen
  17.    #17  
    I have a "friend" who tried to download Shazam to his iPod Touch 2nd Generation,but he didn't realize an Apple Headset with a built-in microphone was required to make Shazam work. I'll pass it on to "him." Thanks!
  18.    #18  
    My "friend" ordered a headset/mic for his iPod Touch and he said to thank you!
  19.    #19  
    My "friend" said the new headset /mic works great with Shazam on his 2nd generation iPod Touch.
    If he is going to use it just for data access, can you add a wireless card/USB dongle to your plan?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast