1.    #1  
    So I gave the Torch a try. I really really wanted it to be great too. The email program is so wonderful on the BlackBerry; second best email client out there next to the desktop version of Outlook.

So with this new OS, I thought they would fix everything in my laundry list of complaints...I'm not sure if anything has been changed from their 5.x OS.

Sure the touch-screen is responsive (nothing like the Storm) and they finally have a webkit browser; but everything else is the same. Appworld is laughably bad. Storage for apps is so minimal, you would think a gigabyte costs a $1000 dollars to use; and the random reboots. I couldn't run Appworld longer than 5 minutes w/o the Torch rebooting (and I used 2 different OS versions and 2 different Appworld versions).

The Podcasts app wouldn't work...AT ALL. Like Appworld, I used 2 different OS versions and 2 different Podcasts versions and it still wouldn't work.

The webkit browser still identifies itself, to every website, as a mobile browser; so good luck getting the full web experience. Sure there are a lot of sites that let you choose between mobile and full versions; but more sites don't let you.

The WiFi is horrendous. In my house, sitting not 6 feet from the wireless router, the speed would be so slow I would disable WiFi to use at&t's network.

Oh, it also has color banding issues...

So I'm back to a reliable and fun device, that has zero problems. The Palm Pre Plus.
    Very interesting. Thanks for posting this!
    Thanks - good post! Nice to know
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by bergeronjc View Post
    So I gave the Torch a try. I really really wanted it to be great too. The email program is so wonderful on the BlackBerry; second best email client out there next to the desktop version of Outlook.
    Is this what you call damning with faint praise? Really? Outlook is a benchmark for email client goodness?
    I'm with Kupe on that one....
  6.    #6  
    I like Outlook. Maybe cause I spend 8 hours a day with it at work; still IMO it's the best email client out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by bergeronjc View Post
    I like Outlook. Maybe cause I spend 8 hours a day with it at work; still IMO it's the best email client out there.
    CLearly you have no IMAP email accounts.
    Well the people at Engadget said it sucks.... guess you just proved it.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    CLearly you have no IMAP email accounts.
    I've tried Thunderbird, GMail, Yahoo! Mail, AOL, Netscape email client (whatever that was called), a few I downloaded from download dot com, a client from GoDaddy, Mail.com and Entourage.

I think Outlook is great.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Well the people at Engadget said it sucks.... guess you just proved it.
    Yes it does. How about this for a bug:

The Favorites section/tab/folder/thingy will remove whatever favs you have set whenever you reboot (the Torch will reboot every day, w/o you doing the reboot). The thing is it doesn't completely remove the fav, it just removes it from the Favorite section.
    What that means is, when you go back to that icon you wanted Fav; you have to remove it from Favorites then add it back. I tried asking why on Crackberry and eventually they stopped ignoring my posts. I guess it's an incurable bug.

Thank God for the homebrew.

However, if the only thing you use the BlackBerry for is email and SMS, then it's awesome. Then again BlackBerry's have always been great for email.

RIM will be bought by Microsoft within 5 years.
    for scheduling/tasks/calendars and group projects... i agree.. Outlook is just fine and sets the standard google just added tasks not to long ago.. so they are on their way.. but not there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    for scheduling/tasks/calendars and group projects... i agree.. Outlook is just fine and sets the standard google just added tasks not to long ago.. so they are on their way.. but not there yet.
    Agreed, Outlook does fine with scheduling, notes, and tasks. But as an email client, Outlook is way behind the industry standard. And their on-disk storage system (.pst) hasn't been updated since 1998 - it's positively archaic.
    I have to agree with the OP, MS Outlook 2007-2010 is awesome and by far my favorite email/calendar etc client of all. I like the vertical look and email preview on the GUI the most, currently I am stuck on Lotus Notes 8.5 here at work and I can tell the difference...UGH!!!!

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)