1.    #1  
    Windows Phone 7 dev tools go gold September 16, Marketplace taking submissions in October -- Engadget

Microsoft's held the line since its February announce that Windows Phone 7 is going to be ready in time for the holidays this year -- and from what we've seen recently, we believe it -- so today they're announcing another small step in the process by finalizing the dev tools that first bowed at MIX in March. Specifically, the gold build will be hitting streets on September 16, just a little under a month from today, while the Marketplace will start accepting apps sometime in early October. Now, if you want to throw a little conjecture at this and make a few assumptions along the way, you could reasonably argue that Microsoft wants a healthy catalog of apps available for purchase on launch day one and that it'll probably take them at least a week or two to approve those first titles -- which means that if everything goes perfectly, we could theoretically see retail hardware on shelves by the end of October. Again, that's purely conjecture on our part, but it's pretty juicy to think that we could be playing with a Cetus in around two months' time, isn't it?
    It's not just the tools. They've already announced a formidable lineup of games and apps that will be available on day one, and they're not shy about publicly grabbing big names like eBay with whatever it takes to get them on board.

I'd love to see similar overtures from HP/Palm. Hot Apps aint cutting it.
    Palm would have done it if they could have. However it was a release hardware or die situation for them....so they gambled, released with dev tools and worked closely with a few folks instead.

Not the best strategy certainly but when your in between a rock and a hard place....

In the end the gamble didn't pay off and they required a rescue. HP will insure such gambles will not be required in the future.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Palm would have done it if they could have. However it was a release hardware or die situation for them....so they gambled, released with dev tools and worked closely with a few folks instead.

Not the best strategy certainly but when your in between a rock and a hard place....

In the end the gamble didn't pay off and they required a rescue. HP will insure such gambles will not be required in the future.
    The tragedy is that 20 months after announcement, 14 months after launch, and 4 months after being acquired by a much bigger company...the situation is yet to be remedied. 1.4.5 remains in limbo on the majority of US carriers, so who knows when this mythic update with more APIs in the SDK will arrive and, more importantly, when we'll be able to see the effects of it?
  5.    #5  
    The only place that it matters why Palm couldn't do it right is probably in this forum. The last time I was given extra points for effort was in grade school. If Palm had wanted to launch their new devices with an existing catalog of apps they could have easily bundled Classic with the devices. What would that have cost them? A million? $1 per phone? Could it have even cost as much as one hot apps program?

I would anticipate that Microsoft is also going to offer some great terms for developers like 0% commission or something. Microsoft needs the apps a lot more than they need the 30% Anyone want to make any bets on what kind of catalog Windows Phone 7 will launch with? I'm guessing 1000 at launch and 5000 within 6 months.
    Tragedy does kind of seem appropriate doesn't it. My guess is that this will start to turn around when new hardware arrives and 1.4.5 finally fully releases.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I have a friend who has several apps developed for WinMo and he said that he received an email from Microsoft almost demanding that he port his apps to Windows Phone 7. He said that they sent him an emulator and detailed instructions on reformatting his applications. While the WinMo app catalog is not very large, if MS can get the majority of its developers to port their apps over to WP7 they should have a good app selection on launch day.

The up side is that MS is having to rebuild their app catalog from scratch for WP7. The Pre 2 with WebOS 2.0 should run all the apps that are already in the WebOS catalog.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 08/23/2010 at 03:09 PM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I have a friend who has several apps developed for WinMo and he said that he received an email from Microsoft almost demanding that he port his apps to Windows Phone 7. He said that they sent him an emulator and detailed instructions on reformatting his applications. While the WinMo app catalog is not very large, if MS can get the majority of its developers to port their apps over to WP7 they should have a good app selection on launch day.

The up side is that MS is having to rebuild their app catalog from scratch for WP7. The Pre 2 with WebOS 2.0 should run all the apps that are already in the WebOS catalog.
    At its high water mark, there were close to 30,000 WM apps in stores like PocketMax and Handango. if 1-in-10 apps are converted by launch date, that's a respectable start.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Anyone want to make any bets on what kind of catalog Windows Phone 7 will launch with? I'm guessing 1000 at launch and 5000 within 6 months.
    I don't know about general purpose apps but unless something really funky happens, Windows Phone 7 is going to be the second best mobile gaming platform the day it launches.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't know about general purpose apps but unless something really funky happens, Windows Phone 7 is going to be the second best mobile gaming platform the day it launches.
    Yep, I agree. It certainly has me interested for its XBox Live integration alone, and that's saying a lot because I'm not a huge gamer but I do thoroughly enjoy XBox Live.