Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    AppleInsider | Verizon, Apple iPhone talks continue toward possible 2011 launch

Shaw Wu with Kaufman Bros. issued a note to investors on Monday, in which he said he expects Apple to expand the iPhone to another carrier in the U.S. next year. Apple needs this, he said, to maintain high growth, as the company's smartphone nears saturation on the AT&T network.

The current front-runner is Verizon, which is said to be in talks with Apple for a "SVDO" iPhone which would allow both voice and data at the same time, something not possible with a traditional CDMA phone on Verizon's network.

While Wu believes that the iPhone will eventually come to Verizon, that could happen as late as 2012, he said, if Apple decided instead to go another route: both T-Mobile and Sprint.

"It is notable that signing up both T-Mobile USA and Sprint would almost be the equivalent of Verizon (in terms of subscribers)," he said. "For point of reference, AT&T has 90 million wireless subscribers compared to 93 million at Verizon, 48 million at Sprint, and 34 million at T-Mobile USA."

Wu said sources have indicated to him that important details are still being ironed out between Verizon and Apple, including technology and economics. But while the companies are in talks, he said it would be "premature" to rule out T-Mobile and Sprint.

However, the growth of Android on the Verizon network also provides Apple with an incentive to make the iPhone available on the carrier, he said. Making the iPhone available to Verizon customers would be the best way to address the growing presence of Android phones, Wu wrote.

While Apple and Verizon are said to be eying SVDO for the iPhone for now, the companies are said to be viewing that option as an interim device until a full-fledged long-term evolution (LTE) 4G phone debuts in a few years.

"From AAPL's perspective, the debate is whether it makes sense to roll out an interim CDMA iPhone sometime in 2011 or perhaps wait until LTE becomes more available in 2012," Wu wrote.
    Interesting. I still don't see the iPhone coming to Verizon until next summer at the earliest, but likely not until 2012.

The only reason people post these rumors anymore is to get site hits. I think when Steve Jobs says Verizon and iPhone in the same sentence and without laughing is when this will be news.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Interesting. I still don't see the iPhone coming to Verizon until next summer at the earliest, but likely not until 2012.

The only reason people post these rumors anymore is to get site hits. I think when Steve Jobs says Verizon and iPhone in the same sentence and without laughing is when this will be news.
    AT&T's latest filing did clearly state that a major exclusivity with them was about to come to an end. The only major exclusivity they have is the iPhone.
    I'm surprise sprint haven't gotten it yet.
    I still don't think Verizon wants the iPhone on the terms that Apple demands. Verizon is kicking their tail with Android, and they don't have the iPhone wrecking their network like it has AT&T. My money is on iPhone for Verizon in 2012, in time for widespread LTE availability, and right about when my upgrade is due.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I still don't think Verizon wants the iPhone on the terms that Apple demands. Verizon is kicking their tail with Android, and they don't have the iPhone wrecking their network like it has AT&T. My money is on iPhone for Verizon in 2012, in time for widespread LTE availability, and right about when my upgrade is due.
    There was a recent study that showed that Android users consume more data than iPhone users.
    People in a position to know are predicting a January launch for the CDMA iPhone 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    People in a position to know are predicting a January launch for the CDMA iPhone 4.
    Yep, and those same people "in the know" said the same thing earlier this year, and last year...

Steve Jobs is in the know.... I will wait on him. lol.

Yep, and those same people "in the know" said the same thing earlier this year, and last year...

Steve Jobs is in the know.... I will wait on him. lol.
    I hear ya. This time's a little different though - we have part orders, supply chain paper trails, and an actual model number for the CDMA device currently being field tested (N92).
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    There was a recent study that showed that Android users consume more data than iPhone users.
    link please?
    link please?
    It doesn't take much thinking to understand why that is. Until recently AT&T restricted a lot of applications from using their network, they were wifi only. Since the beginning applications have had freedom on Android to use the network as they please.
    I hear ya. This time's a little different though - we have part orders, supply chain paper trails, and an actual model number for the CDMA device currently being field tested (N92).
    China has CDMA....

I would be surprised if Apple had never previously tested a CDMA device.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I would be surprised if Apple had never previously tested a CDMA device.
    I'm sure they have but they've never released firmware that allows these devices (iPhone3,2 and iPhone3,3) to bypass iTunes activation for field testing purposes before.
    Thanks. That's really interesting. Especially in the context of the changes AT&T made to their data plans.

Based on what I hear from my iPhone-owning friends, this might be a bigger statement about the networks because they often "can't" consume data on their iPhones... whereas the Verizon network is pretty good so they use it more.

My guess is this will change drastically with the release of facetime and skype.

I also wish they published the stats for webOS, because I'll bet we use more than anyone else, just from Preware and Pre|Central!

I really appreciate the link. Thanks!
    Thanks. That's really interesting. Especially in the context of the changes AT&T made to their data plans.

Based on what I hear from my iPhone-owning friends, this might be a bigger statement about the networks because they often "can't" consume data on their iPhones... whereas the Verizon network is pretty good so they use it more.

My guess is this will change drastically with the release of facetime and skype.

I also wish they published the stats for webOS, because I'll bet we use more than anyone else, just from Preware and Pre|Central!

I really appreciate the link. Thanks!
    Not to mention that tethering comes standard now on the Verizon Android devices, free of charge I believe.
    It's what Verizon's been saying all along about their network vis-a-vis AT&T's. 'Faster' 3G is meaningless if only a small portion of a customer base can access it. This report makes AT&T's past claims about the iPhone blowing out their network due to its immense data consumption a true joke. It makes AT&T's recent decision to further limit individual data consumption with tiered pricing plans unconscionable. AT&T really does live up to their reputation as 'Industry Whiner' that Verizon made so clear to us all.

Nine months after my signature data test:

Oh no - my ping is getting slower!
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not to mention that tethering comes standard now on the Verizon Android devices, free of charge I believe.
    I don't know about the DroidX, but the adds for the Droid2 say a subscription is required. I assume that means they will charge for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's what Verizon's been saying all along about their network vis-a-vis AT&T's. 'Faster' 3G is meaningless if only a small portion of a customer base can access it. This report makes AT&T's past claims about the iPhone blowing out their network due to its immense data consumption a true joke. It makes AT&T's recent decision to further limit individual data consumption with tiered pricing plans unconscionable. AT&T really does live up to their reputation as 'Industry Whiner' that Verizon made so clear to us all.

Nine months after my signature data test:

Oh no - my ping is getting slower!
    It actually is meaningful. More than 60% of traffic on the AT&T network is from iPhones. However, 60% of their subscribers aren't using an iPhone.

By now they should have solved it, but when the iPhone launched it killed their network and they really never recovered....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast