Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1.    #1  
    I've gotten this a couple times already. Sadly, the one who asked had never heard of the pre. *facepalm* <-no pun intended . Anyone else get the same reaction?
  2. mfaye9's Avatar
    Posts
    223 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    #2  
    Not yet but im sure its coming...
    I love my Pre :P



    Follow me on Twitter!
  3. #3  
    got it too. Like the torch was officially announced and then like 2-3 days later I got asked. Dumb.
  4. #4  
    Yeah I got asked the same dumba$$ question. At work. Where I sell phones. Where the only video presentation of a phone shows a Palm Pre.
  5. #5  
    Not yet though, since Blackberry's aren't that popular here... but I'm afraid my Pre will be mistaken for this instead:

    (Samsung Corby)



  6. #6  
    I got the "Is this a Corby?" so often I stopped counting.
    But I can tell you, it still hurts...
  7. #7  
    Everyone used to thnk my 755p was a BlackBerry, so I'm not surprised.

    Jim
  8. #8  
    How come everybody here can recognize the power of good advertising, but Palm seems oblivious to it?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by srath16 View Post
    I've gotten this a couple times already. Sadly, the one who asked had never heard of the pre. *facepalm* <-no pun intended . Anyone else get the same reaction?
    In fairness to BlackBerry owners...

    Give grandpa a chance to put his glases on.

    You should just be proud of him that he even has a cellphone!

    - Craig
  10. #10  
    I don't think its just good advertising.

    You know how hard it is (esp. in tech) to get into the mindset of general consumers?

    Apple does it because all apple products are hyped to no end regardless of advertising (which they are good at anyway). RIM has it because blackberry's are a staple in the business world and had a brief burst in the general smartphone world (though i think we'll see that turning around now).

    Palm had mindshare in the late 90s and a bit in the 2000s...but it quickly dropped off. Yeah some people had centros, but the centry was also cheap and one of the better smartphones on Sprint at the time. But no one was walking around talking about Palm as a company.

    Them coming out with the Pre was great in the tech world, but honestly, no one really cared outside of the blogs and us. My friends weren't asking me about the new Palm phone because my friends have forgotten who Palm was. A great commercial would've only gotten them so far as well because the mindshare isn't there.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    In fairness to BlackBerry owners...

    Give grandpa a chance to put his glases on.

    You should just be proud of him that he even has a cellphone!

    - Craig
    LMAO


    My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

    Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I don't think its just good advertising.

    You know how hard it is (esp. in tech) to get into the mindset of general consumers?

    Apple does it because all apple products are hyped to no end regardless of advertising (which they are good at anyway). RIM has it because blackberry's are a staple in the business world and had a brief burst in the general smartphone world (though i think we'll see that turning around now).

    Palm had mindshare in the late 90s and a bit in the 2000s...but it quickly dropped off. Yeah some people had centros, but the centry was also cheap and one of the better smartphones on Sprint at the time. But no one was walking around talking about Palm as a company.

    Them coming out with the Pre was great in the tech world, but honestly, no one really cared outside of the blogs and us. My friends weren't asking me about the new Palm phone because my friends have forgotten who Palm was. A great commercial would've only gotten them so far as well because the mindshare isn't there.
    Why do you equate 'advertising' with 'commercials?' Advertising is completely about mind share - commercials are a small part of that. You think Blackberries 'brief burst in the general smartphone world' was due to a few commercials? Is it possible you worked in the advertising division at Palm?
  13. #13  
    Honestly, I don't think HPalm is interested in stirring up any buzz right now. If they start a buzz, regular folks might start looking around. They'll find a bunch of negative press, and they'll see a lot of broken down Pre handsets folks are nursing along. I don't want anyone to see my Pre with the chunk of plastic broken out by the USB port, and I doubt HPalm wants anyone to see it either.

    They want to keep up interest in webOS but I doubt they want to call any attention to the aging Palm hardware.

    Wisest policy? No advertising, no buzz until the new hardware is ready and available. IMHO
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Why do you equate 'advertising' with 'commercials?' Advertising is completely about mind share - commercials are a small part of that. You think Blackberries 'brief burst in the general smartphone world' was due to a few commercials? Is it possible you worked in the advertising division at Palm?
    Because that has been the main blame "creepy girl in the bad commercials."

    They advertised elswhere...they had improved commercials, every day on my way to my job in NYC, i saw Times Square station plastered with posters of Palm phones...also in times square there was a huge billboard.

    So i think they were advertising as best they could. Hell, you know how Droid broke into the market? Not only from a TON of ads, but from Verizon doubling down on android if they didn't have the iPhone. Verizon reps were pushing and continued to push the phones.

    Now if your mention of advertising includes that type of marketing push then i agree, they needed to do better, i was just under the impression you were *****ing about the early commercials as most people on this site do.

    My mistake.
  15. #15  
    Got asked the same exact thing today. I had a Torch to show him and I quickly told him why I won't use it anymore and use the Pre.
    Last edited by bergeronjc; 08/23/2010 at 09:41 PM.
  16. #16  
    just say yeah its the Palm torch.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Now if your mention of advertising includes that type of marketing push then i agree, they needed to do better, i was just under the impression you were *****ing about the early commercials as most people on this site do.

    My mistake.
    It's a consistent, persistent message on broadcast media, print media, rolling media, signage, event sponsorship, event attendance/support, interview-interview-interview, newsworthy activities, giveaways, contests, social media, big clients, famous clients, testimonials, consistency, persistence, et al. Palm blew a disproportionately large chunk of their advertising on a bad TV commercial idea. It wasn't until months after the initial release that they expanded out into a small subset of the media I listed, regionally and half-heartedly. That's no way to get into people's heads.
  18. #18  
    Tell me this isn't being inspired by the Pre and webOS



  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's a consistent, persistent message on broadcast media, print media, rolling media, signage, event sponsorship, event attendance/support, interview-interview-interview, newsworthy activities, giveaways, contests, social media, big clients, famous clients, testimonials, consistency, persistence, et al. Palm blew a disproportionately large chunk of their advertising on a bad TV commercial idea. It wasn't until months after the initial release that they expanded out into a small subset of the media I listed, regionally and half-heartedly. That's no way to get into people's heads.
    I totally agree. Palm screwed up royally on their marketing. Their marketing people took everything they ever learned, and threw it out the window.

    Microsoft, RIM and Apple do marketing right (one more than the other). One way to make people want your stuff is make your stuff seem cool to young people. Palm made their stuff seem creepy to creep people (they completely forgot about everyone else).
    I just hope their brand manager got fired after those commercials. He/She doesn't deserve a marketing job.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Tell me this isn't being inspired by the Pre and webOS
    It isn't being inspired by the Pre and WebOS. Unless you're inferring this April 2009 BB ad was also inspired by the (not yet available or advertised) Pre and WebOS:


    However, the Pre and WebOS seem to be inspired by Apple:


    My my!

    Amazing how people's preconceived notions can drive their world view.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions