Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was at the local pizza place, and the cute waitress asked me how much I liked my phone. Turns out she owns a pre as well, and even has preware loaded on it. Just thought I'd throw out that it isn't quite as bleak as we think. There have also been good radio advertisements lately, comparing the phone to a superhero's utility belt. The ad is actually quite good.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    I was at the local pizza place, and the cute waitress asked me how much I liked my phone.
    Pics or it didn't happen :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It isn't being inspired by the Pre and WebOS. Unless you're inferring this April 2009 BB ad was also inspired by the (not yet available or advertised) Pre and WebOS:
    [IMG]

However, the Pre and WebOS seem to be inspired by Apple:
    [IMG]

My my!

Amazing how people's preconceived notions can drive their world view.
    I was referring to how the apps are presented on the sides of the screen like weOS cards
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    ...I don't want anyone to see my Pre with the chunk of plastic broken out by the USB port, and I doubt HPalm wants anyone to see it either...
    Are you referring to the cover for the USB? Funny how out of all the BB's in my house I never once thought of the USB port looking broken because there wasn't a cover over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I was referring to how the apps are presented on the sides of the screen like weOS cards
    Thank you for proving my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru
    Hah! Classic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    I'll look into it ;-) (I think she actually comes to these forums, so perhaps she'll jump in here...)
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    Are you referring to the cover for the USB? Funny how out of all the BB's in my house I never once thought of the USB port looking broken because there wasn't a cover over it.
    Nope. I'm talking about a chunck of plastic that broke off. I'm very gentle with my gadgets. My pre doesn't have any other marks or flaws. The USB port crack just slowly appeared. It worked its way up into the screen. A second branch spread down from the middle of the crack, back to the edge and a piece the size of a tooth fell out.
    Umm, who in their right mind thought the Torch was a good idea?
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    You should hold the back of your Pre up to someone when they ask if its the Torch.

HP could just advertise webOS by Palm, so that people look into the capabilities of the OS rather than the hardware which we all know is frankly "old". Then that could get people into the mindset that its going to be on multiple devices, including smartphones.
    I think thats the wrong stance to talk outside of the hardcore. Again, casuals just want a phone that works and doesn't care about specs or operating systems....start talking about OSs and they get confused.
    I agree. I would venture to guess that most "casual" iPhone users don't even know the name of the Apple OS. Just like casual users refer to everything Android as a "Driod".
    WHich irks the hell out of me.

But i don't blame them with the commercials that were presented. Hell some people i've talked to don't even realize there are multiple Droids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Hell some people i've talked to don't even realize there are multiple Droids.
    I hear people constantly referring to any phone with Android on it as a "Droid". My brother-in-law has some LG touchscreen phone with Verizon and his wife is always calling it "his Droid".

Funny thing is, I pulled out my Pixi in front of a coworker and he asked if it was an EVO. Not sure how that even compares...
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I hear people constantly referring to any phone with Android on it as a "Droid". My brother-in-law has some LG touchscreen phone with Verizon and his wife is always calling it "his Droid".

Funny thing is, I pulled out my Pixi in front of a coworker and he asked if it was an EVO. Not sure how that even compares...
    That's a little better than some of the folks I know who call Androids "Google-Phones" (and they don't mean Nexus One).
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Honestly I could see how people could mistake the Torch for the Pre if they dont pay attention since they look similar.

As stated before it is all about advertising and public mindshare and that is something Palm really lacks at the moment.

Blackberry is a popular brand and has a strong public mindshare already. The Torch has only recently been released and I have heard many people talking about it where as I still get questions from time to time asking what kind of phone my Pre is.

If Palm had that mindshare than things may be different.
    I actually handled a Torch for the first time the other day (was a dummy unit on a display at Best Buy).

I love my Pre and certainly wouldn't want to give up webOS. But I have to admit that the Torch felt pretty good in my hands. The slider was fairly easy to open and close one-handed and seemed really solid & well made. No wobble or Oreo in the slightest. I like the slightly larger screen size. Might be a good place for Palm to start for a new device design.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12