Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just imagine how today's Apple is in stark contrast to the Apple that aired that famous Super Bowl commercial in the 80's.

Apple may be looking to lock out unauthorized iOS users
    Apple honestly resembles **** Germany if anything. Google is definitely Big Brother these days.
    Isn't Jobs Jewish?
    I believe Godwin's Law has just been invoked.

Germany?....cripes, get some perspective dude. It's a TECH COMPANY. Not a murderous regime.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

Germany?....cripes, get some perspective dude. It's a TECH COMPANY. Not a murderous regime.
    How do you know what goes on inside the Apple headquarters?
    If anything that disproves Godwin's Law since it was an immediate analogy rather than one that came up after a lengthy discussion which should have extremely low odds if you believe Godwin's law
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    If anything that disproves Godwin's Law since it was an immediate analogy rather than one that came up after a lengthy discussion which should have extremely low odds if you believe Godwin's law
    Didn't follow you at all here. Maybe try some punctuation?

("Come on let's eat Grandma!")
    Google=Big Brother!

Apple is what it has always been a company obsessed w/ controlling the complete user experience...

Google on the other hand is a company obsessed w/ gathering as much information about their users and using that info to make large profits w/ advertisers...

The information that Google has stored on it's servers is downright scary!

If you don't want Apple controlling your experience don't buy it's products. Just try erasing Google from your life.
    Didn't follow you at all here. Maybe try some punctuation?

("Come on let's eat Grandma!")
    Pretty simple really. Godwin's Law = the probability of an analogy involving the Holocaust, the N-azis, or H-itler increases incrementally with the length of an argument on the internet. Thus if Godwin's Law were true then for an analogy about one of those things to occur immediately into a discussion the odds would be astronomical

Godwin's law aside, I thought it was a pretty good comparison.

I fully understand the horrors of the holocaust...I was obviously comparing Apples need to control everything to the **** Regime, which is notorious for being overly controlling. I don't consider Apple to be evil or corrupt in any way, and contrary to popular belief, perspective is not something I lack.

I used the comparison of Germany and Apple to show how Google is much more like Big Brother. Their whole business strategy involves collecting data about their users, so it is easy to see how they can be compared to Big Brother.

Wasn't trying to start a deep philosophical debate, I just think Google fits the bill as big brother much better than Apple. This all coming from someone who is a fan of Apple, Google, and 1984.

Thank you
    Apple is the paramount example of a closed, controlling operating system while Google is open, it is also totally invasive. Apple controls its operating system to the point of not even allowing third party companies from having access to their content (e.g. iTunes…). Google on the other hand, collects data on all it’s users for “marketing research” usually without the knowledge or consent of the users.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Did you guys even read the article? This has nothing to do with Apple controlling users. This is about implementing security measures to keep thieves from getting into iDevices that don't belong to them. It's a great idea. What kind of anti-Apple hash are you all smoking around here?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Did you guys even read the article? This has nothing to do with Apple controlling users. This is about implementing security measures to keep thieves from getting into iDevices that don't belong to them. It's a great idea. What kind of anti-Apple hash are you all smoking around here?
    No anti-apple hash is being smoked around here as far as I can tell (but if you know where to get some, let me know ). I think the thread got derailed when I suggested that google is more of a Big Brother type company than Apple, and that Apples policies more closesly resemble the tightly controlled **** regieme. Although after thinking about it a little more, current day China would have probably been a better, more appropriate example to help get my point across.

Like I said though, there isn't any anti apple/google debate going around in here as far as I can tell. It is a fact that Apple likes to have tight control over their products, but nobody here has said anything indicating that that is a bad thing, or hating on apples products.

Thats just the way I see it at least.
    Uh... OK... The thread title is about Apple being big brother. The OP links to an article about an Apple patent for blocking unauthorized users of iOS devices. Either the title of the thread is wrong, or he linked to the wrong article. Since I have not been hitting the anti-Apple crack pipe, today, I am quite confused about what he was trying to say.
    “If the various analyses detect someone who is not authorized to use the device, it could set off a number of automated features designed to protect the device's data, suss out the offending party, and alert the device owner. Sensitive data could be backed up to a remote server and the device could be wiped. The device could automatically snap pictures of the unauthorized user and record the GPS coordinates of the device, as well as log keystrokes, phone calls, or other activity. That information could be sent along with an alert to any useful service, such as e-mail, voicemail, Twitter, Facebook, or a "cloud service" like MobileMe.” This sounds kind of controlling to me- If you are a “Authorized User” can Apple still collect the same information? These are not security measures - security is when you lose your phone, you report it to your carrier or manufacture and the phone is disabled.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    can Apple still collect the same information? These are not security measures - security is when you lose your phone, you report it to your carrier or manufacture and the phone is disabled.
    Put down the pipe. You do realize that any company can collect this information, right? You give Google more power over your information every time you search for something.

Of course it's security. It is not fundamentally different than the "Find My iPhone" feature, which competitors have already started to copy. It is a great feature that has recovered many lost and stolen iPhones. These new measures will make it almost impossible for the average phone thief to make off with someone's iPhone and personal information.

With Find My iPhone, you have to download an app, be signed up for the Mobile Me service, and enable the feature on the phone. Apple is not reaching into the phone to do it for you. They simply make it available. Google, on the other hand, has actually reached in and removed apps from Android phones. You are worried about the wrong big brother.

Finally, I am glad Apple's idea of security is a lot tighter than yours. Stop trying to find some sort of evil intent in everything Apple does. Perhaps the discussion would make more sense if people were talking about what ideas could be implemented to secure the data of Pre users, and recover their lost and stolen phones. Instead, you have nothing more constructive to say than, "Look out for the Apple booggy-man!" Stop it, already. Just stop it!
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    These are not security measures - security is when you lose your phone, you report it to your carrier or manufacture and the phone is disabled.
    How do you feel about reporting it to your IT department and having them kill the phone? Because that's what BlackBerry's remote wipe feature does.

All Apple's doing is bringing this feature from the enterprise to the end user.
    Put down the pipe. You do realize that any company can collect this information, right? You give Google more power over your information every time you search for something.

Of course it's security. It is not fundamentally different than the "Find My iPhone" feature, which competitors have already started to copy. It is a great feature that has recovered many lost and stolen iPhones. These new measures will make it almost impossible for the average phone thief to make off with someone's iPhone and personal information.

With Find My iPhone, you have to download an app, be signed up for the Mobile Me service, and enable the feature on the phone. Apple is not reaching into the phone to do it for you. They simply make it available. Google, on the other hand, has actually reached in and removed apps from Android phones. You are worried about the wrong big brother.

Finally, I am glad Apple's idea of security is a lot tighter than yours. Stop trying to find some sort of evil intent in everything Apple does. Perhaps the discussion would make more sense if people were talking about what ideas could be implemented to secure the data of Pre users, and recover their lost and stolen phones. Instead, you have nothing more constructive to say than, "Look out for the Apple booggy-man!" Stop it, already. Just stop it!
    Sensitive much? Any company that puts out a product is opening itself up for criticism. If someone is uncomfortable with a company collecting data on them, that's perfectly reasonable IMO. And apple has done much worse things that reaching into a device and pulling apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Sensitive much? Any company that puts out a product is opening itself up for criticism. If someone is uncomfortable with a company collecting data on them, that's perfectly reasonable IMO. And apple has done much worse things that reaching into a device and pulling apps.
    The issue is people are now so obsessed with furthering their agenda that they don't even bother reading the article in question.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    Precisely - even the unquestionably perfect Palm Pre has a checkered past when is comes to user information. The important thing to note is all these activities are clearly described in included terms of use/service for these devices ... in 4 point Times font with 23 footnotes (in 2 point Helvetica font) spread across several pages of legal blather.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast