1.    #1  
    HI,

No surprise that LG would say this! LOL..........

Take care,

Jay

LG Shockingly Says Its Android Optimus Tablet Will Be Better Than the iPad
    By DEVINDRA HARDAWAR of VentureBeat, August 21, 2010

LG Shockingly Says Its Android Optimus Tablet Will Be Better Than the iPad - NYTimes.com

LG played the internet like a fiddle today when its VP of marketing, Chang Ma, told the Wall Street Journal that its upcoming Android Optimus tablet “will be better than the iPad.”

Clearly, this man is a marketing genius. What better way is there to get the word out about its device — which we initially caught word of in early July — than saying it’ll be better than a highly successful Apple product.

Surely none of the other hardware manufacturers preparing Android tablets — which at this point includes Asus, Acer, Dell, and many others — actually think their devices stand a chance against the iPad. LG, through its complex oratory jiujitsu, has declared itself the next king of tablets — despite the fact that we know practically nothing about the Optimus tablet.

All we have to go on now is nothing more than vague promises. “It’s going to be surprisingly productive,” Ma said. Users will be able to write documents, edit video, and it will have some “high-end features and new benefits” with a productivity bent.

He reiterated the sentiment of many iPad critics who deride the device as something primarily meant for content consumption, rather than productivity. But while I would agree that the iPad isn’t an ideal productivity device, nothing about LG’s Optimus tablet seems to be any more productive. iPad users can already create documents, and there are existing apps like ReelDirector for video editing (Apple will certainly release an iMovie app for the iPad as well).

There aren’t any hardware details for LG’s Optimus tablet yet, but you can expect a screen around 10 inches, and enough power under the hood to run Android 3.0 (to be released later this year). LG expects to launch the tablet worldwide by the fourth quarter.

In other news, the company is also revamping its smartphone line in September with the release of the Android-powered Optimus One. The phone won’t be a hardware powerhouse, but LG expects it to be a “gateway smartphones” for new users. Eventually, it will release more powerful Android devices. The company has plans to use Nvidia’s dual-core CPU in the fourth quarter, and it’s also gearing up for 4G phones running LTE technology in 2011.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    What do you expect them to say? "Our tablet is the suck but we're still coming out with it?"
    How silly for them to compare it to the iPad. From the description, the devices sound very different, with different purposes.

They just set themselves up for a lot of unwarranted comparisons.
    Honestly, I'm kind of glad that a company finally said they were directly competing with the iPhone/iPad instead of just saying "other devices"
    By pitting their vaporware against the iPad, anything less than a million units a month out of the gate will be considered a complete failure. How stupid can they be? Apparently, very stupid.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    By pitting their vaporware against the iPad, anything less than a million units a month out of the gate will be considered a complete failure. How stupid can they be? Apparently, very stupid.
    I agree with you 101%. That is why I posted it in the first place...they way they worded it, they will set themselves up for failure!

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I am using my iPad right now. I love it. LG is pretty stupid for saying this, cuz apple always sells like crazy. LG...not so much. I'm not saying th iPad is the best thing known to man, but I can sure tell you it's really nice. Good luck LG.

Btw, ilovedesert, I love these little forums you start about the stuff other companies are up to. They are very informative and interesting.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Think of it like the weigh-in at a boxing or MMA match. Of course the challenger is going to be mouthy and lip-off to the champ. You have to build the hype, and in a company like LG, a company rep would be castrated for showing any sign of weakness.

I absolutely love the timing of HP grabbing up Palm. Tablet devices are the next 'hot' item and the next year will see at least half of a store's display space dedicated to these devices. LG isn't known for computers and they need to get into this new arena fast to get their name out there before the bigger computer companies take over. LG is being loud to make sure they don't get lost in the crowd when the flood happens.