Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, I may get into an argument with a coworker as to which is better my pre or his HTC Hero.

Can the Hero multitask?

Can you have an internet browser window open while Pandora is playing in the background?
    Can you have multiple browser windows open?
    Do you get text message alerts if you are playing a game? and if so, will the game pause while you check out the message?
    <<Thread Moved/Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    yes, the Hero can. It does all of those, although I'd argue not as well.

Here is a great place to read up on this to prepare for battle - It's a different phone, but it's all android:
    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-platform-chat/

and here is a recent on on the Hero from some poor soul who just switched:
    http://forums.precentral.net/cross-p...-htc-hero.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    <<Thread Moved/Renamed>>
    You are now my hero
    Yes Android multi-tasks, just not as "elegant" as WebOS.

But i'd argue takes roughly the same amount of time to switch to another app in android. Hold Home button, pick app.

WebOS just looks better doing it.
    yeah yeah everyone knows pre can multitask .. That's about all it does good..lol
    the major problem with android is it's lake of elegance. It's a fairly good os but compared to ios webos and wp7 it is very outdated. And feels clunky. Plus endng those tasks requires an app and only six of them stay active and with webos you don't even have to click a button to switch. You can swipe the gesture area from left to right which makes copy and pasting easier then ever between apps. Essentially though yes hero mulititasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    the major problem with android is it's lake of elegance. It's a fairly good os but compared to ios webos and wp7 it is very outdated. And feels clunky. Plus endng those tasks requires an app and only six of them stay active and with webos you don't even have to click a button to switch. You can swipe the gesture area from left to right which makes copy and pasting easier then ever between apps. Essentially though yes hero mulititasks.

1. You don't need a task killer. Android, esp. since 2.1 handles memory management on its own. If the system needs memory it will close a program that a. hasn't been used in a while b. taking up memory.
    2. You get quick access to the last 6 apps you used, but it keeps more than 6 apps open. You just have to go to the app launcher to open it instead. I don't know how often people are multi-tasking with more than 6 apps though.

I don't know how clicking a button (that may or may not be physical) is more clunky than swiping up and not many people use the advance gesture (or even know what it is) to make use to swiping left to right.

(i happen to use it on my Pre but only useful when working with two apps in my opinion...otherwise i just minimize the app to select.)
    @ gangland...Don't be hating - cause we do it... better/elegantly/sophisticated, and exquisitely than Iphone, Android, Blackberry, and any other smart phone on the market.
    I have both a pre and Evo (the Evo through my job) and yes the android mulitask, but it does so like how windows mobile did for years through a task manager. Though it is still very time consuming a bit now to switch inbetween applications on android, and yes its not elegant at all. It comes down to preference though, to me just how Webos handles applications in a card/window for each application to me is the best way to multitask period, and is faster you cant argue that. How can you argue going between lets say two internet browsers, a tweet applications, sms, and email (Im doing it now and its minutes to do so on the EVO then i can on a Pre). Again this is all preference, and now using one of the best Android devices with my pre daily, IMO i have to say I get things done alot faster on how the Pre handles tasks.
    I still don't understand this

What is so hard about holding the home button and picking an application.

People act like its a terrible barrier to multi-task on android....i don't even own one but i found it a suitable alternative to multi-tasking. Its just again, not as "pretty"

I'm shocked it took you "minutes" to multi-task on the evo with what you just said above.

You DO know about the hold the home button shortcut right?
    I mean, here is an oldddd video..but its been the way to multitask on android since the G1:

Long press home, pick your app. How does that take minutes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post

Long press home, pick your app. How does that take minutes?
    Long press home is long
    Android multitasks better IMO (never once had a memory issues or "Too Many Cards" error). However, WebOS switches between applications a more efficiently. Multitasking and task switching, two different things, don't mix them up!
    I am currently using an evo, no doubt the palm pre/ webos multi tasking is better.

Case in point, i am on a webpage, have to switch to another app, go back to the webpage, and sometimes it loses my webpage.

Overall though, with the new speed increase on the evo compared to the pre (even with unix's overclock), the evo is a nice phone.

I will probably go back to webos when a new device comes out..but android Widgets is a pretty cool thing to use
    Yes the Hero can multitask, but it is using a CPU that is a generation behind the Pre, so it does it slowly.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I think that the real question is, why is anyone considering a 15 month old Hero? The new phones have twice the pixels, twice the CPU speed, and twice the memory.

As to multitasking, Android puts apps into a dormant state when they are not in use. There is nothing gained by using a Task Killer.

Try this example. Let's say that during the day, you often move between Messages, Internet, Email, Facebook, News, Phone, and Music.

With webOS, set up those cards. Now say you want to send a text to Julia Kalden, "Meet you at 6"

To go from the Music card back to the Messages card is:
    > Tap the Center button to minimize Music
    > 6 swipes to go back from Music to Messages
    > Tap Messages

That's 8 taps/swipes in this case. (It is less if the cards are closer together.)

But it is often quicker in webOS to avoid using the cards:
    > Tap the Center button to minimize the current app
    > Open the Pre keyboard
    > Use Universal Search to open Messages: Tap "M" - "E"
    > Tap Messages

That's only 5 slides/taps with webOS.

I am faster with Universal Search on my Pre but it is not very intuitive.

On my EVO, it is
    > Tap Home for 1 second
    > Tap the other app

It take two taps on my EVO. I wish my Pre could switch tasks that easily.

If I am driving, it is a lot safer for me to instead:
    > Tap Search for 1 second
    > Say "text to Julia Kalden Meet you at 6"
    > Tap send

Leave Android's 100,000 apps like Shazam, gStrings, Layar, Barcode Scanner, Swype, Skype, Nook, Kindle, and SlingBox out of the comparison.

Forget that Android can update apps automatically and has speech recognition and digital zoom.

What is "clunky" about Android?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/20/2010 at 02:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I still don't understand this

What is so hard about holding the home button and picking an application.

People act like its a terrible barrier to multi-task on android....i don't even own one but i found it a suitable alternative to multi-tasking. Its just again, not as "pretty"

I'm shocked it took you "minutes" to multi-task on the evo with what you just said above.

You DO know about the hold the home button shortcut right?

yup I do you could add that as a option on WM 6.1 with a cooked rom I had. Which is where the foundation of Googles Android came from (SPB shell series). though as I stated above its not hard at all to multitask I hope you dont missunderstand my position, I just think multitasking is easier on a Webos device, even given my example (which I do alot on a daily basis with my pre, and evo). Try it if you have one open up 6 applications lets say 2 web browsers, a game, a tweet application or face book, sms, phone and tell me which device you can access quicker. In my quick tests no matter how fast the CPU's are running I can effortlessly switch inbetween each applications on the pre not just faster, but with no button holding, and without the web pages reloading or getting a error sometimes. Its also non intrusive, to me its a no brainer, and its also just a preference and opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    ...Case in point, i am on a webpage, have to switch to another app, go back to the webpage, and sometimes it loses my webpage...
    Trim,

Try this in Android. Open Music, Messages, Facebook, Email, and Internet.

Surf around with the Internet Browser.

If you want to back out of the Internet (or any app), tap the Back button until you are out. When you come back to the Internet App it will be at your home screen.

If you want to later come back where you left off:
    > Tap Home for one second
    > Tap the other app

When you are done using the other apps
    > Tap Home for one second
    > Tap Internet

Bam! You are right where you left off.

- Craig
    So easy to multitask on Android. Im not sure why it takes anyone minutes. Press a button. same on WEBOS you have to press the button or hold on the screen until it brings up another card . same thing. ( I have a Pre and a Android phone so i know how they both work)And unlike webos it doesnt ever give too many card open error or freeze so it actually works BUT doesnt look as nice. I mean if I had the choice yes I would prefer the way WEBOS does it but again it has to work.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast