Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I think that the real question is, why is anyone considering a 15 month old Hero? The new phones have twice the pixels, twice the CPU speed, and twice the memory.

As to multitasking, Android puts apps into a dormant state when they are not in use. There is nothing gained by using a Task Killer.

Try this example. Let's say that during the day, you often move between Messages, Internet, Email, Facebook, News, Phone, and Music.

With webOS, set up those cards. Now say you want to send a text to Julia Kalden, "Meet you at 6"

To go from the Music card back to the Messages card is:
    > Tap the Center button to minimize Music
    > 6 swipes to go back from Music to Messages
    > Tap Messages

That's 8 taps/swipes in this case. (It is less if the cards are closer together.)
    If you want to quickly get to the other side of your set of webOS cards, I think the quickest way is to swipe up or tap the center button/touch area, tap just below the cards to make them small, use one swipe to swing quickly to the other end, and tap once on the app you want. That's four taps/gestures.
    In the long run Android can multitask and while it might not look as elegant doing it as webos it gets the job done. Most people don't care about multitasking being elegant all they know is that their device of choice can do it if needed...if they did there would be a lot more webos devices out there compared to Android but thats not the case is it? I can multitask just as fast on my Evo as my Pre but like most I rarely use more than one thing at a time. The standard Android and the dolphin web browsers both have a card view allowing multiple browsers in a card like view similar to webos...enjoy your hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    If you want to quickly get to the other side of your set of webOS cards, I think the quickest way is to swipe up or tap the center button/touch area, tap just below the cards to make them small, use one swipe to swing quickly to the other end, and tap once on the app you want. That's four taps/gestures.
    Oh, that's good. So webOS can do the task change in 4 taps/gestures.

Still it is hard to beat Android's 2 taps. For me it is better yet to just say it. Especially if I am driving...

- Craig
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Oh, that's good. So webOS can do the task change in 4 taps/gestures.

Still it is hard to beat Android's 2 taps. For me it is better yet to just say it. Especially if I am driving...

- Craig
    Yeah, it's hard to argue with voice commands for sure. I wonder, though, if we want to worry about milliseconds (no I'm not really that busy, just curious), whether Android or webOS is faster in switching applications. How long is the long press for Android?
    In the end I dont care anything about multi tasking , how it works or how it looks. As long as the phone does what I want. I dont know one person who gives a hoot about multitasking. To a man its all about the Apps nowadays.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    In the end I dont care anything about multi tasking , how it works or how it looks. As long as the phone does what I want. I dont know one person who gives a hoot about multitasking. To a man its all about the Apps nowadays.
    This man disagrees. Multitasking is huge for me. My smartphone's main purpose is to keep me organized and on time while delivering multimedia features and a solid browser. There are a couple of third-party apps I use constantly (NewsRoom, WeatherIcon, ...), but beyond that I'm quite happy with what's already available in the App Catalog. Additionally, webOS's notification system is another key feature for me.
    Im not downplaying the Pre. The Pre is a great phone.ANd I am genreralizing. Im sure it is important to you. Generally speaking I am saying. ANd I am talking all phones again not singling out the Pre, I seroulsy dont know anyone who cares about multi tasking. A good point would be if it was popular the Pre would be competing with the iphone. The Iphone originally didnt multi task and people love it. The Pre was awesome at it and people stayed away. How a phone multitask is not a big deal. As long as it does. The average joe does not care .
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Im not downplaying the Pre. The Pre is a great phone.ANd I am genreralizing. Im sure it is important to you. Generally speaking I am saying. ANd I am talking all phones again not singling out the Pre, I seroulsy dont know anyone who cares about multi tasking. A good point would be if it was popular the Pre would be competing with the iphone. The Iphone originally didnt multi task and people love it. The Pre was awesome at it and people stayed away. How a phone multitask is not a big deal. As long as it does. The average joe does not care .
    You may be right. But now you do know someone to whom multitasking is important.

Speaking in general, I don't think the average Joe has ever even heard of webOS. Sometimes people don't care about a feature, and sometimes people just don't know what they're missing. Yes, the iPhone was extremely popular without multitasking (and still is with its new faux-multitasking), but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been even more popular with proper multitasking.

I would argue that apps aren't actually very important to the average user, either. What is important to the average user, at least in the US, is having access to LOTS of apps. It doesn't actually matter what they do, they just need to be numerous in the same way that a supersized meal at McDonalds has numerous fries. Take my father, for example. When I was trying to get him on the webOS train one of his concerns was that the Pre "has no apps". When I asked him which apps he was looking for, he couldn't tell me. He just knew that Apple has lots of them, and everybody seems to want them, so they must be important. He has now had his Pre for four months, and he uses it for e-mail, texting, and maybe some calendar stuff, but I don't think he has downloaded a single app other than the ones I initially set him up with.

I think apps are a fad like pet rocks or Razor scooters, and the word "app" is a buzzword that will fade from popular usage in a few years. I would go so far as to say that the average user doesn't even realize that "app" stands for "application", just as the average user isn't aware that an iPod is an mp3 player. Perhaps now that the great fashion icon that is Apple has deemed high-resolution screens to be important we can move from "more apps!" to "more pixels!". However, the average user doesn't enter the confines of the PreCentral forums, so it's not fair to speak in such a way about them when they're not here to defend themselves
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12