Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 96
  1.    #1  
    i kinda find it amazing at how much android has improved and keeps on improving. Android is currently at 2.2 froyo but will soon be at gingerbread. They are already talking about the update after that which will be honeycomb.

    do you think webos will be able to keep up with android. So many things need to be updated. I hope webos 2.0 is not a failure. I hope new features are added and functionality. What do you guys think?
  2. #2  
    There's really no basis for comparison until WebOS is finished along with the SDK. You have to get to the starting line before you can actually run the race.
  3. #3  
    You have to keep in mind that webOS is still a very young OS. Android didn't really get going until late last year.

    Once webOS 2.0 comes out we should see things start picking up. If there is anything HP is committed to regarding Palm it's webOS. We've gotta a well funded army on our team now!

    I wouldn't be surprised to see webOS develop into a few blown PC OS ala Google Chrome in the next few years.

    Great days ahead!
  4. #4  
    I think the real question (if your on VZ or at&t) is if Android is taking up all the Carrrier bandwidth for updates. I think that VZ doesnt care enough about WebOS to let our update go through until most of the Android phones are updated. I know that the HTC Incredible is waiting for 2.2. I just want my VZ 1.4.5 Please, please, please.
  5. #5  
    Well, as long as WebOs fixes everything that everyone feels is the matter with it, then most of you will be happy.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

    http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
  6. #6  
    most of the webos updates were improvements to the structure of webos
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

    Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
  7. #7  
    webOS has significantly fallen behind over the past 8-12 months. I do not think they will catchup with webOS 2.0. I think it will not be until this time next year that they have a realistic shot at "catching up". And that is being optimistic (for me) based on past history and projecting forward.

    Everyone needs to keep in mind that Palm has been reinventing/reorganizing themselves (under HP) for the past few months and that trend will likely continue (to some extent) for the next 6 months or so. They have lost a fair portion of their critical management team over the past few months.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 08/19/2010 at 01:59 PM.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by slydog43 View Post
    I think the real question (if your on VZ or at&t) is if Android is taking up all the Carrrier bandwidth for updates. I think that VZ doesnt care enough about WebOS to let our update go through until most of the Android phones are updated. I know that the HTC Incredible is waiting for 2.2. I just want my VZ 1.4.5 Please, please, please.
    Are you referring to network bandwidth?

    I highly doubt that the network bandwidth is a primary factor in when OTA updates are released. Sure a carrier isn't going to push out updates for 6 phones all at the same time (more than likely due to support constraints) but updates do not come that frequently/rapidly. Most updates are probably the equivalent of watching a HQ Youtube video for a few minutes.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    webOS has significantly fallen behind over the past 8-12 months. I do not think they will catchup with webOS 2.0. I think it will not be until this time next year that they have a realistic shot at "catching up". And that is being optimistic (for me) based on past history and projecting forward.

    Everyone needs to keep in mind that Palm has been reinventing/reorganizing themselves (under HP) for the past few months and that trend will likely continue (to some extent) for the next 6 months or so.
    I think progress will be fast and furious, actually. Just not the type of progress that some here may expect.

    The priority for HP is not to add in extensive voice control or keep app parity with competitors.

    It's to make WebOS scalable and functional on any device they want to stick it on. That means shaking it out of just being portrait-oriented, getting it to work at any resolution, adding a good virtual keyboard...stuff like that. That's going to be their success. Not having a smartphone that exceeds everything else on the market.
  10. #10  
    This is the big question. Not sure if when/if webOS will catch up with Android. I'm gonna see how webOS 2.0 is before deciding if I should keep this phone or not. I'll see what the features are, the reaction from developers, and go from there. I don't really care about whatever excuses there are about webOS being a younger (by 8 months?) platform, "restructuring", or whatever the hell else is going on in the background. Bottom line is how much I pay out of my pocket for how much I receive in return. I don't see too many good reasons to pay the same amount of money per year for a phone that has less features. That doesn't make fiscal sense at all.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think progress will be fast and furious, actually. Just not the type of progress that some here may expect.

    The priority for HP is not to add in extensive voice control or keep app parity with competitors.

    It's to make WebOS scalable and functional on any device they want to stick it on. That means shaking it out of just being portrait-oriented, getting it to work at any resolution, adding a good virtual keyboard...stuff like that. That's going to be their success. Not having a smartphone that exceeds everything else on the market.
    Oh, I completely agree with you. I'm just not sure their "effort" is going to result in significant and tangible improvements for mobile devices. Developing this ecosystem and open platform architecture (of sorts) is going to slow development that is directly related to mobile devices (imo).
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 08/19/2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typo
  12. #12  
    The problem is even if they somehow manage to accomplish a miracle and catchup, they'll be behind again is short order. They need to not only catchup, but get way ahead just to stay in the game; and that is going to be difficult if not impossible. Remember when the Pre first came out it was the talk of the town. Then iOS quickly added "pre-like features" and suddenly the pre mattered less. Point is, instead of catching up, they need to make a significant leap ahead to get an real attention from the market (IMO). As others have mentioned, I doubt this is their plan for smartphones.
  13. #13  
    Right now webOS does have the features that the developers need. 18 months after introduction Palm will still not allow the developers access to the API's that they need for their apps.

    • API locks keep anyone but Palm from releasing a music app. Android is open so there are a list of Android music players.
    • webOS developers can't get access to the mic so they can't offer apps like:
    - - Shazam can use the mic to listen to a song & tell you what it is
    - - Voice Actions can do things like "send text to Jeff Miller See you at 10"
    - - Talk to Me hears your spoken words and says it in other languages.
    - - gStrings can tune your guitar, base, violin, etc.
    • webOS developers can't access the camera API for apps like:
    - - Layar can use the camera to look beyond walls
    - - Barcode Scanner can use the camera to read barcodes

    The plumbing is all there. webOS developers just aren't allowed to go inside.

    - Craig
  14. #14  
    and that says a whole lot.
  15. #15  
    12 webOS updates in just over 1 year...

    Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/j228sj - Uploaded by prenotes
  16. bjs188's Avatar
    Posts
    188 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Are you referring to network bandwidth?

    I highly doubt that the network bandwidth is a primary factor in when OTA updates are released. Sure a carrier isn't going to push out updates for 6 phones all at the same time (more than likely due to support constraints) but updates do not come that frequently/rapidly. Most updates are probably the equivalent of watching a HQ Youtube video for a few minutes.
    I agree with gmanvbva
    the update for Pre was only 8 or 9 MB. Take the app Dungeon Hunter: it's 299 MB. Pixi update was 32 mb I think I heard. All in all, they shouldn't be too strapped. Especially since the phones check @night when traffic is low.
  17. #17  
    Who has progressed more from start to now? Android or WebOS...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    12 webOS updates in just over 1 year...

    Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/j228sj - Uploaded by prenotes
    And of those 12 updates, how many were major releases with new features? I can only think of one or two with the biggest being video recording. In the past 16 months there have been 5 major releases on Android, each bringing large sets of new features.

    Screen shot 2010-08-22 at 1.56.42 AM.png
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    And of those 12 updates, how many were major releases with new features? I can only think of one or two with the biggest being video recording. In the past 16 months there have been 5 major releases on Android, each bringing large sets of new features.

    Screen shot 2010-08-22 at 1.56.42 AM.png

    lets use your logic....
    Android G1 launches on t-mobile 10/2008... Palm Pre launched 6/2009.

    Android was not even a serious player until 1/2010 Droid release 2.0.
    that's 15 months.

    Palm pre released .....14 mnths ago....

    next webOS phone will have major improvements to both OS and Hardware....

    the big difference imo Palm < 1000 employees...
    Google has *20,222 full-time employees worldwide as of January 22, 2009, Google says.
    Google Employees

    I think now that HP owns Palm... we will see bigger updates... faster.. with more choices in Handsets.
    You should be happy about that...Competition Breeds Innovation.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    lets use your logic....
    Android G1 launches on t-mobile 10/2008... Palm Pre launched 6/2009.

    Android was not even a serious player until 1/2010 Droid release 2.0.
    that's 15 months.

    Palm pre released .....14 mnths ago....
    Hmmm... your logic is flawed/based on false premises.

    The Droid was released in November 2009 (11/09) with Android 2.01 and was updated to Android in 2.1 in December 2009 (12/09). Oops, you need to revise your 'facts' for Droid to 13 months and then justify why Palm is so late in their own follow-on release.

    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    next webOS phone will have major improvements to both OS and Hardware....

    the big difference imo Palm < 1000 employees...
    Google has *20,222 full-time employees worldwide as of January 22, 2009,
    Do you really believe 20K Google employees work on the Android? Or is this factoid some sort of red herring? How many Google employees are actually dedicated Android team members (including Matias Duarte)?
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    I think now that HP owns Palm... we will see bigger updates... faster.. with more choices in Handsets.
    You should be happy about that...Competition Breeds Innovation.
    Using your 'logic' about Google/Android, there are now >300K HP employees working on WebOS!! Reality check - there are still <1,000 HP employees working on WebOS - they are called 'former Palm employees.' The only things that are different today from last June include potential funding for R&D/marketing and the extension of WebOS into printer/toasters and the like.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions