Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch1222 View Post
    G1 - abandoned by google. It's a shame. Are there any other android phones that are no longer supported with updates? This is a valid concern in the fast paced android market.
    this is a current concern for users considering an android device.
    any thoughts? Want to add devices to the list of unsupported devices?
    Concerns? What concerns? That a two-year-old device is no longer supported? There comes a time when the hardware is no longer capable of running certain software, not to mention the hardware needs to remain relevant with the market.

What's going to happen to the Pre Plus when it hits its EOL on Verizon in a few months? That date is 10/21 for those that care.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You hit the nail square on the head there. I used the Pre for a solid 6 months before I switched to Android. It frustrated me at first because of my muscle memory with WebOS but the same can be said when I went iPhone -> WebOS.

It's very hypocritical for people like clutch to say someone is biased when those of us that are supporting/defending a platform other than WebOS have extensively used both platforms.
    i remember i was really hardheaded about android and thought it looked ugly and whatnot compared to webOS, anyways a friend of mine got me to switch to the evo and wow, i can't believe ive missed so much that i don't even look back to webOS anymore. android apps open up in an instant plus u don't have to manage memory. I can't believe how crazy i was to not know how good android was but now i know
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Another side-by-side comparison:

Looks like the WebOS releases are more often but with smaller incremental changes while Android releases are more spread out but greater magnitude changes. It makes the Android release schedule seem more measured/deliberate while the WebOS release schedule, especially early on, seems more reactive/haphazard.
    GREAT chart. Let's talk about devices. When do each individual device get the Android updates? It's NO where near the release date to manufacturers by Google.

And webOS? Updates given to all carriers at the same time, no crazy UI customizations required (Sense, TouchWiz, etc), so all you're looking at is Certification and Testing.

THAT is the thread topic, and I think you'll see more and more how webOS updates and having the hardware AND software (NO hardware manufacturer specific "we need to differentiate ourselves" customizations) controlled by one company (ala iOS sans the app store chokehold/control) is something that is going to stand out.

I won't even talk about the fact that a good # of Android devices have already been announced that version X.x is it for them.
    @ barkaja and gman

both of you made the assumption that I do not gt alot of time with other hand helds... Then continued on to call me hypocritical because of it.
    on a weekly basis... I interact with users that have every own iphone 3, 3gs, 4 . Androids - hero, moment , intercept, incredible, evo, droid... And 2 epics on order with my recomendation( only epic).
    I support enterprise blackberry users as well, and have awork provided curve .
    I spend much time evaluating all the phones... Checking new os updates... Etc.

I get more seat time with a large variety of smartphones than many on this very thread. These are actual activated phones... In the field...not store demos.

ios 4 is the best phone out right now imo. Beautiful build... Great apps, awesome jail break community... Very sexy phone. All of this said... I hate apple iphone limitations, biz practices ... Etc.

the evo screen is very washed out. The ui... Lacking sexiness? I don't like the wasted space on screen buttons. It's an os designed by engineers that considered function overpowering sexiness.iimo I think it's somethig that will be improved in android over time with future upates...
    I would rather have a smaller more vibrant screen... Than a large washed out one. It's a great phone. Many impresive features... But does not hang with iphone 4 . Throw a super amoled display on an evo... Would change my opinion of the phone.

this is why I love webOS. The ui is beautiful... I love the multitasking with cards, gestures with no buttons..The potential is tremendous for webOS. The palm comunity is awesome. With time... Great apps will be developed/ ported. Rahul re iterated on podcast that pal m is intact... And working independently from HP on new devices. An enhanced 2.0 OS on updated hardware with Envy build quality( designer is collaborating with Palm)... Is what I'm waiting for.

didn't mean to hog up the thread today... Just kinda turned out that way. I appreciate all objective opinions... And I learn much from reading them.
    Fair enough. I brought up experience with Android specifically because many (yes, a generalization) on these boards show ignorance with regards to Android features, Apps and the underlying OS by their comments. It is obvious when they have limited (if any) personal experience with a device/os. But we all learn from these back and forth's (hopefully).

It's part of why I do frequent these cross-platform forums at Precentral.
    It has some pretty good discussion on all platforms. AndroidCentral, modaco, xda, etc. tend to have less of this type of discussion. I roll through 8-10 forums on a regular basis and I probably do post (actually post, I read much more then I ever post) here more than others because there is (generally) pretty good interaction/discussion here.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 08/27/2010 at 07:31 AM. Reason: typo
    ENOUGH!

A couple of you keep taking this thread off topic. I am deleting all threads dealing with the issue of bias -- either for or against webOS. All of us are biased to some extent by our experiences. Deal with it. But no more discussion of it in this or any other thread..

If you can't keep it on topic, this thread will be closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    GREAT chart. Let's talk about devices. When do each individual device get the Android updates? It's NO where near the release date to manufacturers by Google.

And webOS? Updates given to all carriers at the same time, no crazy UI customizations required (Sense, TouchWiz, etc), so all you're looking at is Certification and Testing.

THAT is the thread topic, and I think you'll see more and more how webOS updates and having the hardware AND software (NO hardware manufacturer specific "we need to differentiate ourselves" customizations) controlled by one company (ala iOS sans the app store chokehold/control) is something that is going to stand out.

I won't even talk about the fact that a good # of Android devices have already been announced that version X.x is it for them.
    It's an interesting comparison, but it's apples and oranges. How many versions of the Pre are out so far? Answer: 1. How many of the original Pres will be able to run WebOS 2.0 (assuming it is ever released)? Answer: a BIG unknown.

As for Android OS, even the G1 can run Froyo (Link), but it's not necessarily cost effective for wireless providers to offer support to a two-year-old device. The Android rooting community (similar to the homebrew or overclocking communities) makes it easy for anyone to have the latest custom ROM regardless of the wireless provider delays. How timely are those Verizon WebOS OTA updates?
    Um the ad is in an application...thats up to the developer.

Hell most free apps have ads somewhere in them..handcent for instance has the ads in the settings menu.

I have an evo right in front of me..there are no adds in the market place. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
    Enough.

Bev gave you all your warning. Stop the bickering. Stop the arguing. Stop talking about each other.

But you won't stop.

If you want to join a Debate Club there are sites for that. Stop taking threads off topic. No one else here wants to hear it.

Last chance. From here on no more gentle warnings.

- Craig
    Disregard it. It was a point i made on another thread, somone pasted my post in this thread... and it has already seriously derailed it. In respect of the Mods request... move on.

@ Kupe
    yes. webOS 2.0 on pre is unknown... But android 1.5 launching on brand new android phones is known.
    Faster Forward - Dell's death-wish Android Aero
    this may not be entirely Google fault..but a fault of the android ecosystem. Buying android os on many diff oem phones... puts you in a situation as an owner of smartphone to need your carrier, oem, and google work to get it updated. I maybe wrong there... since i am not an android expert, but it is a concern for users buying the flava of the week android. How long will it be supported, and how quick will it become obsolete. Is that true? if not... does just the oem and carrier need to put in the necesary work to get the i.e. Moment updated to latest android update?

G1 can run Froyo if YOU want it to. G1 is the oldest android phone... but there are many much newer than that that may never see 2.x. I could be wrong... if so, please correct me.

either way.. apple and palm release their own hardware and software. Apple, is doing a better job of keeping their phones updated to latest version OS than Google.
    iphone 3 released on June 2008 ( before G1 10/2008) has a ios4 update.

Timeline - The iPhone Wiki

Apple - iPhone - New features in the iOS 4 Software Update.

since Palm also handles both Hardware and software in house... I would "assume" palm will be able to support older phones longer as well. To me... its common sense to think that Palm and APPLE will have an easier time keeping phone OS up to date than Google on all of these OEM platforms :
    LG
    Samsung
    Motorolla
    HTC
    Dell
    im sure i missed a few. Each one of those OEM have many diff versions of android phones. So wouldnt that make for a problem keeping them all updated? Has it already become a problem? Does a Dell smartphone being released summer of 2010 running android 1.5 sound like a problem? to me it does.
    Palm has been through a buyout and restructuring... so I can accept that as an excuse for not releasing a new phone sooner. Maybe thats just my bias.. but seems like a logical reason for not being able to release a new phone.

Android users are dependent on too many players to keep a phone updated over 2 years ( most ) than a apple and Palm User. Yes or no?

I need to learn this info... so i can be more acurate when making recs to users. Thanks

Kupe - Thanks for bringing this thread back on topic and respecting the mods request.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 08/28/2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: edit to remove bickering
    I feel like I can end the ads in the Android Market argument with this picture. This was just taken from my Samsung Moment. Now lets get back in topic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I feel like I can end the ads in the Android Market argument with this picture. This was just taken from my Samsung Moment. Now lets get back in topic.
    no. You actually just took it back off topic. This thread is about webOS vs Android updates... not ads .

stay on topic.. and if possible answer the questions I posed concerning Googles ability to keep android phones UPDATED.

I need to know.. because i am not clear on how that is handled.

Thank You
    no. You actually just took it back off topic. This thread is about webOS vs Android updates... not ads .

stay on topic.. and if possible answer the questions I posed concerning Googles ability to keep android phones UPDATED.

I need to know.. because i am not clear on how that is handled.

Thank You
    Ahh hush. I didn't see that the mod deleted everything that you posted about the ads in this thread.

And I think everyone knows that Google makes the update available to the carrier and manufacture. It's up to them whether or not if that specific android device gets the update. Just like it's up to Verizon for 1.4.5 to come to the Pre/Pixi plus devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Ahh hush. I didn't see that the mod deleted everything that you posted about the ads in this thread.

And I think everyone knows that Google makes the update available to the carrier and manufacture. It's up to them whether or not if that specific android device gets the update. Just like it's up to Verizon for 1.4.5 to come to the Pre/Pixi plus devices.
    Kupe ?

Barkeja ?

Mikah?

Gman?

Palm has 4 phones across 3 carriers. My guess, it will be easier to implement updates to those phones than it would be to implement updates to hundreds of android phones across 4 carrier networks.

Webos vs Android Updates. The possibility of webOS phones getting updates its greater than a large % of android phones... making not only their hardware outdated.. but thier software as well.
    That may not be googles FAULT, but it is a flaw, imo, of the android ecosystem and a concern for consumers looking to buy a smartphone and be able to use the new features that updats bring to the phone.

Verizon will release an update for webos 1.5 - you can believe that. just goes to show you how difficult it is to get carriers to get 4 phones updated... 100's of phones?

Very few victories for webOS these days... but i would call this advantage webOS.

I posed several points and questions. Including a dell smartphone launching with 1.5 android on it. would like to get other thoughts on this issue with android updates.
    Kupe ?

Barkeja ?

Mikah?

Gman?

Palm has 4 phones across 3 carriers. My guess, it will be easier to implement updates to those phones than it would be to implement updates to hundreds of android phones across 4 carrier networks.

Webos vs Android Updates. The possibility of webOS phones getting updates its greater than a large % of android phones... making not only their hardware outdated.. but thier software as well.
    That may not be googles FAULT, but it is a flaw, imo, of the android ecosystem and a concern for consumers looking to buy a smartphone and be able to use the new features that updats bring to the phone.

Verizon will release an update for webos 1.5 - you can believe that. just goes to show you how difficult it is to get carriers to get 4 phones updated... 100's of phones?

Very few victories for webOS these days... but i would call this advantage webOS.

I posed several points and questions. Including a dell smartphone launching with 1.5 android on it. would like to get other thoughts on this issue with android updates.
    Everybody knows that it's easier for Palm to get webos updates onto there phones. They make the Hardware. But the carrier can also be a reason that a phone doesn't get an update. And I pointed out that with 1.4.5 not being on the Verizon versions. It was stated that they will stop selling Pre phones in October, So who's to say that they wont stop updates.
    i just did more research...bad news for moment and hero users..
    HTC Hero, Samsung Moment Not Getting Android 2.2 Update [Sprint Reveals Via Twitter That Froyo Is Not Coming To Cheaper Android Phones] » TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities
    Sprint announced this in the following Tweet via their official Twitter page:

HTC EVO will be updated to Android 2.2; Samsung Moment & HTC Hero will not. Future devices launching w/ 2.1 will be also be updated to 2.2.

That’s all she wrote. Not much of an official explanation. We’ve reached out to Sprint’s PRPRPR $folks$ $for$ $further$ $explanation$ $of$ $why$ $they$$ve$ $decided$ $not$ $to$ $update$ $the$ $Moment$ $and$ $Hero$ $to$ $Android$ $2$.$2$.

Of course, there’s always the modder community. Reportedly, those at the xda-developers forum have already begun working on patching in support for Android 2.2 Froyo into the Moment and Hero. Of course, not everybody is comfortable using custom ROMs and it’s a bit disappointing seeing Sprint do this.

The hero was released months after palm pre... and already outdated on the Android OS.. permanently outdated

Android 2.2 upgrade list: Is your phone getting Froyo? - Computerworld Blogs

The Android 2.2 Upgrade List: Phones Not Expected to Get Froyo

• T-Mobile G1: The first Android phone, unfortunately, isn't expected to get the Froyo upgrade; its hardware is said to be too limited to provide full support. It's been nearly two years since the phone's release, though, so the option for a handset upgrade shouldn't be too far away for Android's earliest adopters.

• Samsung Behold II: Samsung has indicated its Behold II won't be upgraded beyond Android 1.6. As for a reason, the company has said only that the phone is "not upgradeable" beyond that point.

• HTC Hero [UPDATED]: The Hero will not receive the Froyo update, according to information released by Sprint in late June.

• Samsung Moment [UPDATED]: The Moment is also not slated to receive Android 2.2, that same Sprint information revealed. No further details were provided as to what led to the decision for either phone.

• Motorola Devour [UPDATED]: Motorola has confirmed the Devour will not be upgraded to Android 2.1, let alone Android 2.2. Things had looked iffy for Verizon's non-Droid Motorola Android since the start; up until late August, the phone had been listed as "under evaluation" for the Android 2.1 upgrade.

The Android 2.2 Upgrade List: The Rest of the Phones

If a phone isn't listed here, chances are there's just not much in the way of clear info about its fate so far. So stay tuned and set your bookmarks: I'll continue updating this page as new details becomes available for any Android devices.

The intercept gets updated.. but the Moment does not? that would suck to be locked into a long term contract on a Moment right now... IMO.
    Based on the number of complaints we have received, this thread is now closed.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345