Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    These threads will never be settled. An iPhone can most certainly do almost everything I do on my Pre or Hero...and more. Can it do it the way that I want it to? No. Can it do it on the carrier I want it to? No. I'm pretty sure most here would answer the questions the same way. Get what works for you. Doesn't mean that other devices out there suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    As has been pointed out in another thread, you might pay more for an Apple product but when you can resell it at the end of your contract (which I realize doesn't apply to the OP), for as much or more than you paid in the first place, it really takes the sting out.

I just re-sold via eBay my 3g - two years old - for much more than I paid (on contract) originally, and that more than covered the cost of my new iphone.

You can't do that on many other phones.
    I have sold Pre's (2) for 200 when I got them for 49.99 or less that's a good deal too
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    These threads will never be settled. An iPhone can most certainly do almost everything I do on my Pre or Hero...and more. Can it do it the way that I want it to? No. Can it do it on the carrier I want it to? No. I'm pretty sure most here would answer the questions the same way. Get what works for you. Doesn't mean that other devices out there suck.
    Unlock takes 5 mins and you can use it on any network. Also I hope you don't think that my thread was created to say the Pre sucks. I thought it would spur some interesting debate and comparisons between the two phones. Lots of people have good points about why the Pre works better for them.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    how did you get 200 for it? I see them new for 150, you have the plus models?
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Unlock takes 5 mins and you can use it on any network. Also I hope you don't think that my thread was created to say the Pre sucks. I thought it would spur some interesting debate and comparisons between the two phones. Lots of people have good points about why the Pre works better for them.
    Any network?
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Yeah, but that horse has been beaten to death and you're comparing new hardware and a new version of an OS to hardware and an OS version that is quite old. When the next webOS phone comes out you can have an interesting debate and comparison.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I don't know why people say you gotta jailbreak the iphone for to be able to use it. The iphone does everything the pre does and usually in a better way outside of multitaslking and notifications.

Combine that with the fact that it has a higher resale value and much more dev support, it's not a bad idea if you want to do it.

All smartphone stock do mostly the same thing.
    Unlock takes 5 mins and you can use it on any network.
    Not in the US, sir.

Also I hope you don't think that my thread was created to say the Pre sucks. I thought it would spur some interesting debate and comparisons between the two phones. Lots of people have good points about why the Pre works better for them.
    No, I don't think your thread was created for that. In fact, I was speaking to the Pre owners here who slag the iPhone constantly moreso than you.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    As far as iPhone for Verizon is concerned- my brother, who just happens to work for apple says that if the iPhone comes to verizon, they will need to rework their network to incorporate GSM somehow, which is the only technology that the iPhone will play friendly with.

this means AT&T will actually have better coverage than Verizon as far as the iPhone is concerned. It seems like Verizon is going to have to reinvent the wheel...Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by lsvteg11 View Post
    As far as iPhone for Verizon is concerned- my brother, who just happens to work for apple says that if the iPhone comes to verizon, they will need to rework their network to incorporate GSM somehow, which is the only technology that the iPhone will play friendly with.

this means AT&T will actually have better coverage than Verizon as far as the iPhone is concerned. It seems like Verizon is going to have to reinvent the wheel...Thoughts?
    Or they could just release a CDMA iPhone (like the N92 currently being field tested).
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    I don't know why people say you gotta jailbreak the iphone for to be able to use it. The iphone does everything the pre does and usually in a better way outside of multitaslking and notifications.

Combine that with the fact that it has a higher resale value and much more dev support, it's not a bad idea if you want to do it.

All smartphone stock do mostly the same thing.
    You can't count on resale value one way or another. Whatever you or I think the smartphone market will look like in a year, we're probably wrong.

"outside of notifications and multitasking" is a big deal. My phone is for:
    1) enabling me to communicate out and seek information
    2) bringing me communications and information
    3) entertainment.

iPhone is great at #1 and #3 but sucks at #2 because of a lack of decent notifications and real multitasking. It comes down to priorities. For ME, a Pre is also better at #3 because there's more than enough fun games and I find homebrew, personalizing my phone, and corporate drama to be fun . For someone who's Pre is broken a lot, they obviously have less fun. I find the Pre behind the iPhone for #1 because of the availability of apps.
    I recently switched to an android phone for work as i am a cell phone salesman at a store that carries many different carriers and phones and the pre/pixi no longer exist in my store, but I could not take Plugging in my phone to charge it!!! ***!?! Who does that. lol. ILY Palm Pre. I will never leave you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by kylepro25 View Post
    I recently switched to an android phone for work as i am a cell phone salesman at a store that carries many different carriers and phones and the pre/pixi no longer exist in my store, but I could not take Plugging in my phone to charge it!!! ***!?! Who does that. lol. ILY Palm Pre. I will never leave you again.
    Uh, you have to plug up the Touchstone. What's the big deal?
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Or they could just release a CDMA iPhone (like the N92 currently being field tested).
    Your absolutely right.
    I wudda thought my own brother would give me viable information!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    uh, you have to plug up the touchstone. What's the big deal?
    freaking magnets! How do they work?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Any network?
    Exactly. Unlocked or not. You still have limited options in the US and those do not include 2 of the Big 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by kylepro25 View Post
    Touchstone is handy... but you certainly do not have one everywhere you go... Unless you carry one with you... which still means you are plugging something in (and carrying it around).

Although, since you work in a carrier store I'm sure you have at least one at home and work.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Exactly. Unlocked or not. You still have limited options in the US and those do not include 2 of the Big 4.
    And one of the two you can't use is [currently] your most cost effective data option...
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    how did you get 200 for it? I see them new for 150, you have the plus models?
    Yes I have sold the Plus models from Verizon
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Also, the biggest downside for the Touchstone (for most) is that you are required to use a stock battery (again, for most). A Pre with a stock battery is a complete PITA (imo) and it makes me laugh when people say they couldn't live without the touchstone. If you didn't have a stock battery... you probably wouldn't find that Touchstone so important!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast