Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    MS has addressed 4 by paying developers to write for its new platform and providing a decent set of tools and developer phones before release (unlike Palm with WebOS)
    yes there'll be Apps -- M$ will be able to bribe/subsidize enough developers to have at launch some Apps.

200,000 apps ??

The key measure of App viability is when developers independently risk their own time and money to create Apps unsubsidized for this platform specifically
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    yes there'll be Apps -- M$ will be able to bribe/subsidize enough developers to have at launch some Apps.

200,000 apps ??

The key measure of App viability is when developers independently risk their own time and money to create Apps unsubsidized for this platform specifically
    App numbers are kinda pointless these days. That was a metric that Apple hyped into becoming relevant. Does anyone know or care how many "apps" OSX or Windows 7 have?

I think you're right about App viability, but we won't know that for some time. It does appear, however, that Microsoft is having more success "bribing" developers than Palm and HP are with the subsidized sales and Hot Apps competitions. So they have to be doing something right.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think you're right about App viability, but we won't know that for some time. It does appear, however, that Microsoft is having more success "bribing" developers than Palm and HP are with the subsidized sales and Hot Apps competitions. So they have to be doing something right.
    They are doing a few things right (relative to WebOS).

1) They shipped a polished and functional set of tools months before the product launch.

2) They shipped 3000 developer phones.

3) They started bribing their developers early.

4) They are supporting some of the same languages, libraries and tools MS developers are already familar with.

Palm's whole approach to getting 3rd party apps onto their platform was idiotic in almost every respect.
    If a platform comes out with the bare minimum apps that casual people want (things like facebook, youtube, pandora, maps program, IM client)

Its a good jump off. For the like 30 apps Palm kicked off with, they were the ones i ended up using the most (well, the current facebook, as the old one was not that great).

Seriously...daily i use Tweed, youtube (well not daily, but often enough), google maps, pandora, AP Mobile.

Those are my daily apps i use...other ones i use less often an in certain instances. If you kick off with those, and you have a solid app development community...you are in good shape. No you aren't the number that andorid has or Apple has...but as someone pointed out, that number is overrrated.....as long as the user thinks their uses are fulfilled, they will be happy. Anything on top will be extra for them.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12