Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You absolutely do not need MagicGate MS to listen to MP3's. As was previously stated, you can use the normal purple MS's.

Just use MSImport, it'll show up as a removeable drive in File explored and drag the MP3's into the PALM/PROGRAMS/MSAUDIO subfolder and you're good to go.

You only need white when using Sony's ATRAC format, with their OpenMG software...which...why the heck would you want to?

Good Luck!

My T665 experience is a little different, I can't get through the weekend w/o having to charge it sometime in there. I do use mine for MP3's, occassionally, and play Pocket Express's Midway arcade pack (joust, defender II, sinistar, etc.) on occasion as well.

If I use it for that, not a chance of getting through the weekend...and I wasn't expecting it to. If I just use it for the normal 'stuff' it will get low over the weekend, but it will make it. I usually keep the Hold button on just to cover myself when its turned on...making sure it doesn't stay on etc.
    Re vera, potas bene.
    On the software side, I'd vote for 'Bug Me', and Agendus (formerlly called Action Names).
    Re vera, potas bene.
    okay, i'm a total clie newbie. never even touched one. however, i saw a new t665c at one of those "cash busters" type places today. it's only c$400 (about us$275) and i think i can actually talk them down.

however, i have some questions and would really appreciate a response.

i presently have a plat with a stowaway and a soundsgood. i love them but alas, i think the sony deal is too good to pass on. so:

1. is there a stowaway for the clie? if so, are they an arm and a leg?

2. what's this proprietary stuff in the above posts regarding mp3s? i have about 16 thousand mp3s (all paid for)... will sony's software do something to them that's gonna mess me up?

3. will this thing be upgradeable to os 5? the box says it has 4 mb of flash rom.

4. is there a half decent styli for this thing? (i presently have a chameleon and it's grand).

5. have their been any reports of buggy or defective shipments? i'm betting that if it doesn't work from the cashbusters than i'm gonna have a hard time returning it.

6. is there a visorcentral type site for clies?

7. any issues with my current software regarding the 320x320 screen? will it all work fine?

8. can anything go on the memory sticks or just mp3s? (ie can it be used as vfs to put dictionaries and such on? if yes, can i have mp3s AND other things on the same card without a problem--at the same time? and hows does that affect transfering music?)

9. what's the transfer rate? how does it compare to the soundsgood?

10. what are the clie's cons? why *shouldn't* i buy this thing?

thanks very much!

mc
    Last edited by mensachicken; 09/14/2002 at 09:40 PM.
    Check out ClieSource
    Originally posted by mensachicken

2. what's this proprietary stuff in the above posts regarding mp3s? i have about 16 thousand mp3s (all paid for)... will sony's software do something to them that's gonna mess me up? You can transfer MP3's using a program called MS Import - the SonicStage program from Sony creates ATRAC files which required the White Magic Gate type memory stick. The blue (or purple) memory stick will play MP3's. The sonic stage comes on the installation CD and you can choose to use it for conversion of your CD's to the ATRAC format or not.

3. will this thing be upgradeable to os 5? the box says it has 4 mb of flash rom. I have no idea - unlikely since OS5 will require a different processor.

5. have their been any reports of buggy or defective shipments? i'm betting that if it doesn't work from the cashbusters than i'm gonna have a hard time returning it. Mine works fine - there is a software patch at ClieSource but no hardware issues.

6. is there a visorcentral type site for clies? Several just do a search to find but VisorCentral seems to work for me or PDABuzz

7. any issues with my current software regarding the 320x320 screen? will it all work fine? Most software is enabled to function on the higher rez screen. Some programs won't work but you can selectively turn off the "resolution assistant" and the programs should work fine.

8. can anything go on the memory sticks or just mp3s? (ie can it be used as vfs to put dictionaries and such on? if yes, can i have mp3s AND other things on the same card without a problem--at the same time? and hows does that affect transfering music?) Anything can go on the MS - you can even use it to transport Windows files from one computer to another using MS Export. The Memory Stick acts like a removeable drive under these conditions and shows up as such under windows explorer.

9. what's the transfer rate? how does it compare to the soundsgood? I have loaded a 128MB MG stick to near full in under 5 minutes - seems quick enough for me but I can't compare it to Soundsgood.

10. what are the clie's cons? why *shouldn't* i buy this thing? The only negative I have is the damn buttons - I've figured out that it's nearly easier to use the stylus for the main buttons but that the scroll button is just a pain anyway you cut it.

thanks very much!

mc

My 2cents.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    thanks for your help moose and jb. i just went and bought it. talked them down to C$360. just did a conversion on that at xe.com and got us$227.90. woohoo! and it was brand new, had to break the sony seal.

it's charging right now. next steps will be getting a 128 stick and a stowaway, a case, and screen protectors.

then i have to sell my plat, 2 soundsgoods, a cf reader, a stowaway, an active armor case, 2 pentopia styli!

anyway, thanks for the advice, people! though i'm sure i'll miss my plat (had since they came out, dlx before that)--dubbed world's luckiest pda (left in cab twice, dropped four times including once into a tub of water--got it back and working perfect every time!)--hopefully it'll be a smooth transition.

mc
    I don't have a Clie, so I can only answer one of these:
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    [...] 3. will this thing be upgradeable to os 5? the box says it has 4 mb of flash rom. [...]
    No. PalmOS 5 will be ARM only.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12