Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    June 2009....
    this was the competition

Android.... was stuck on T-mobile

Fast forward a year.... and the game has changed.
    Who is to say... it will not change again?

Watch the video... webOS 1.2 vs Iphone 3.0

Iphone and Android have released major updates to their Ecosystems since june 2009.

HP Palm will soon release theirs.
    Last edited by clutch1222; 08/18/2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Typo
  2.    #2  
    Just popping in.... to say hello.

Stay positive....

need to make a complaint? want to give some feed back?

Phill McKinney : I can't disclose roadmaps. We are always looking for #Palm feedback. Post a comment/suggestion @ The Next Bench - Welcome Palm Employees & Community - The Next Bench #webOS
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Good to have you back Sir.
    i get tired of my old windows mobile smartphones within a month. I've had my pre for 6 and it just works for me. The evo and epic look nice but I just love my pre!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    The Reason You Chose webOS

1) Palm Fan 4 Life.
    2) Wife needed new PDA/Phone, and she is a Palm Fan.
    3) They were free.
    4) Employer loyalty.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Sounds like Just Reasons to me.

Long Live Webos
    WebOS is just better than Winmo or Android.

Beyond the manufacturer's skins, Winmo is not very finger friendly.

The Android UI just wasn't very intuitive. I'm a geek and generally like some complexity, prefer CLI interfaces to BUIs on my UNIX apps, but a phone needs to be easy to use.

If the iPhone had a more reasonable service cost, I'd probably be there, just because of its app catalog and accessory support.
    Come on HP/Palm, make those two points irrelevant! More Apps and some Bluetooth/iPod dock interface using SPP/A2DP/AVRCP.

-Jay
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post
    If the iPhone had a more reasonable service cost, I'd probably be there, just because of its app catalog and accessory support.
    Come on HP/Palm, make those two points irrelevant! More Apps and some Bluetooth/iPod dock interface using SPP/A2DP/AVRCP.

-Jay
    I feel the same way. My brother works for apple here on long island, so of course hes always got the latest and greatest. I would probably jump ship to the iphone if it weren't for the ridiculous monthly fee. I refuse to pay close to 1200 a year for a phone. Besides, WebOS is far superior to iPhoneOS- The only thing iPhone OS has over us is better support. Thats it. I think Palm and HP just need time to grow. I cant wait for the next webOS phone..
    last summer I was fed up with Verizon nickel and diming to death and was also really frustrated with the BB Storm so when I decided to switch to Sprint, I saw the Palm Pre and the rest is history, Palm fan for life.
    I chose webOS (and the Pre) because it looked revolutionary and was full of promise... and it was on Sprint.

webOS turned out to be revolutionary with regards to the UI and intuitiveness and it still has promise. HP/Palm just need to increase there development speed and catch up with their competitors in both hardware and software. I have no allegiance (contrary to popular belief around here) to any mobile OS or device manufacturer. I simply want the best mobile device (for me).

I still continue to recommend the Pre/Pixi to those that I feel it fits their needs (my wife and daughter still have one). In fact, I just helped a friend's wife decide on getting a Pre and spent several hours showing her how to use it and introducing her to Precentral.

Maybe revolutionary is a bit of an overstatement but I believe it was a very significant improvement over other mobile OS UI implementations.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I have been with Sprint for 6+ years. The Pre was my first smartphone, and I partially went with it because it wasn't Apple. I like being on the underdog OS, and it is simply better functionally than iOS or Android. Can't wait for the new hardware. I Got my Pre in September last year, so I am close to new hardware time.
    Free Mobile Hotspot
    Hardware Keyboard

but if I could do it again I would have gotten the Droid or waited an extra week and gotten the Incredible
    I didn't choose webos, palm gave it to me and I am glad they did. Long time palm user.
    they didn't have any good phones on sprint xD so I had too.
    those damn cards!
    it's to see how far palm's come... My pre feels so much more responsive now, then the one in the video...
    I originally got into the hype of the palm pre last spring. I had a really boring desk job and spent most of my time reading on tech sites. I was looking for my first smartphone and had a tough time deciding what to get. The iPhone seemed so boring, I've always appreciates it's simplicity but the 3GS and os 3 were too much of the same for me. I was tempted to go blackberry because all of my friends had bbm but it was just too boring for me. I started reading all the highly positive reviews and was sold on webos.
    My main reason was because all other device seem like crap.
    I also got caught up in the hype and was unimpressed with iPhone and BB. Android looked promising but was stuck on T-Mobile at the time (worse network then ATT, no thanks). Cloud sync was a big deal clincher for me. Centralized admin of contacts, e-mail and calendar is brilliant and I will never go back to an arcane desktop sync setup again.

While I loved webOS for ease of use and huge future promise the feature set at launch was disappointing. Same sound for e-mail and SMS alerts, what!!....but once updates started to fix these issues and the homebrew folks got fired up I knew I had made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I originally got into the hype of the palm pre last spring. I had a really boring desk job and spent most of my time reading on tech sites. I was looking for my first smartphone and had a tough time deciding what to get. The iPhone seemed so boring, I've always appreciates it's simplicity but the 3GS and os 3 were too much of the same for me. I was tempted to go blackberry because all of my friends had bbm but it was just too boring for me. I started reading all the highly positive reviews and was sold on webos.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Part of the reason that I went for the Pre on Sprint was because it was developed from the makers of PalmOS (with help from ex-Apple employees). PalmOS was way long on the tooth and it showed; the fact that WebOS was written from the proverbial blank sheet of paper appealed to me. It is a modern OS designed to be competitive for the coming decade. We are now seeing other OS's getting features inspired by WebOS.

To be more specific, the following points were what kept me with Palm (in no particular order):
    • Linux
    • Open (Homebrew)
    • Web standards (and WebKit)
    • Cards
    • Universal Search
    • Synergy
    • Hardware (specifically the portrait-slider format and capacitive touch screen)

Now if only WebOS 2.0 can match PalmOS when it comes to PIM...
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast