Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why did I go with WebOS?
    Always had a Palm. Had Polm OS and Palm with windows. The Pre came with WebOS. Why did I have an option? lol At the time I purchased the Pre there really was no Patching. It was just a phone. Now I'm stuck on WebOS more then Palm.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Guess it was because I never recovered from my broken M100. Let's face it, 16mhz in the palm of your hand felt pretty good back then.

Actually, I was first turned on to webos because of my history with palms software. (owned several palm and Sony palmOS devices). Plus their CES unveiling showed off a beautiful OS which worked in ways that no other OS does.

I should note that I am a deserter, since I got an evo, but man do I miss my pre. Android does some great things, but it's just not as simple as webos. Plus froyo totally jacked up my evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Part of the reason that I went for the Pre on Sprint was because it was developed from the makers of PalmOS (with help from ex-Apple employees). PalmOS was way long on the tooth and it showed; the fact that WebOS was written from the proverbial blank sheet of paper appealed to me. It is a modern OS designed to be competitive for the coming decade. We are now seeing other OS's getting features inspired by WebOS.

To be more specific, the following points were what kept me with Palm (in no particular order):
    • Linux
    • Open (Homebrew)
    • Web standards (and WebKit)
    • Cards
    • Universal Search
    • Synergy
    • Hardware (specifically the portrait-slider format and capacitive touch screen)

Now if only WebOS 2.0 can match PalmOS when it comes to PIM...
    You pretty much summed up my thoughts, and most importantly it's not a slate device. I hate devices with no physical keyboards.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Honestly it wasnt till the Pixi came out. At first I was all excited about the Pre' played with it at store and i actually hated the O.S. I thought it was the biggest peice of garbage ever.(ignorance) And was so mad that what was this hyped up sprint phone was so dissapointing.

Then one day both my little sister buy Pixi. Being the supposed phone afficianado that I am I did my little examination, and fell absolutley in love. At first is was for the form factor just what i was looking for no-sliding qwerty and very thin. So I decided to get just for that reason, and then after a few weeks fell in love with webos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Why did I go with WebOS?
    Always had a Palm. Had Polm OS and Palm with windows. The Pre came with WebOS. Why did I have an option? lol At the time I purchased the Pre there really was no Patching. It was just a phone. Now I'm stuck on WebOS more then Palm.
    Same here
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhajj View Post

Beyond the manufacturer's skins, Winmo is not very finger friendly.

-Jay
    Not at all user friendly. WinMo is just... blah. LOL.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    My reasons:
    Before I got the phone:

16gb
    Touchscreen
    Keyboard
    No proprietary software to load up music and movies
    Touchstone
    Gesture area

After I got the phone:

Preware
    Overclocking
    Tethering (proved to be a lifesaver as of late)
    Well for being my first smart phone I guess I got lucky. I mainly chose it because of Verizon's free wireless hot spot offer and, after having seen my wifes blackberry 8330 in action, I liked the form and appearance of the Pre Plus. Ultimately The customizeability of WEBOS has really got me hooked!
    Ces 2009...

Wow, that was amazing.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Always been a Palm PDA user and bought my Centro as my first smart phone in November 2008. Started lurking on the board(s) and saw all this cool stuff about the Pre and webOS. Come November of 2009 when I could upgrade bought a Pre. Fell in love with webOS once I figured out the learning curve from the transition. Cant wait until the new Pre
    I had been a long time user of PalmOS devices, ever since the Palm III. I had jumped ship to Android with the T-Mobile G1 after I found myself having to hard reset and reinstall all my apps on my Treo 680 one time too many. But I could never get used to Android and found its PIM apps to be non-existent to a joke and continued to carry an aging Palm TX along with it.

While Palm's CES 2009 demo was amazing I wasn't really convinced until they showed off the Classic emulator. The fact that I had something that could ease the transition made all the difference for me. Suddenly I was giving myself permission to notice the contrast between the Pre's smooth, polished river stone beauty and my G1's blocky, brown ugliness. I hate to say it but I fell in love with the Pre. And we've been together ever since....
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    To be more specific, the following points were what kept me with Palm (in no particular order):
    • Linux
    • Open (Homebrew)
    • Web standards (and WebKit)
    • Cards
    • Universal Search
    • Synergy
    • Hardware (specifically the portrait-slider format and capacitive touch screen)
    this...
    I didn't choose WebOS. I chose the Pre form-factor. If I coulda gotten the same thing through Sprint with the Android OS, I likely would have gone with it instead. As it was, despite days of research it still turned into 2.5 hours in the Sprint store deliberating.

I'm happy with WebOS and think I'm probably happier overall than I would have been with Android, but man, I still consider switching every day just so I can have that nifty time & weather widget showing on my main screen all the time.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    I didn't choose webOS or Palm, it chose me. I've been with Bell Mobility for years now, and in December my old Samsung double flip decided to give up the ghost and not take a charge anymore(tried new battery, it was the phone). Palm Pre, Blackberry Storm, and iPhone(can't remember) were being handed out for free with new contract renewal. Personally, I can't stand iTunes, and never got into iPods ever(I liked my mp3 players), so that pretty much was iPhone's death toll. A bit of a toss up between the Storm and Pre, but I do remember hearing all the hype, winner of whatever awards it won, blablabla, and (working in the cell phone industry at the time building the 3G sites for both Telus and Bell) there was a Bell tech that had one(Pre) and couldn't stop talking about it. That sold me. And I'm glad it did.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I loved the card system since the CES presentation, along with synergy.
    Add to that that I'm a linux lover (Ubuntu is my main platform), and I was a web developer some years back, it was a no brainer.

And throw in the physical keyboard (I really don't love virtual keyboard, I need to feel the keys)... The phone is a winner for me.
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    When I got back from being overseas, I didn't know anything about the pre. I heard the name and that was all I knew, so based on the name I looked it up on youtube and checked wjat people had to say and how the OS worked. I was very intrested in the Pre, coming from the Original instinct, I thought the Samsung Moment would be my upgrade, but after what I saw with Webos and the Pre, I knew this was definitely a phone that was years ahead of what was on the Market.

The Cards I just found so intresting

Add in Multitasking, and it's much more convienant for reference purposes.

The fact that it's an Open Platform and Easily Accessible to Developers was also very cool and let me know the phone had much potential.

Synergy, didn't do much for me at 1st, when speaking about facebook, myspace, n other social tools (not my thing), but how it does contacts n emails n text and aim I just thought was fking brilliant.

The Browser is on par with that of the iphones and there's still much potential with Flash Making it's way. The Browser will be open fully when Flash is integrated into the web browser, no question about it.

and the Form Factor is nice, Vertical for me, I'll not usae a horizontal keyboard

so that why I went for The Palm Pre and Webos
    the webos seems pretty fast compared to similar phones at the same price as my palm pixi!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Cards combined with gestures! Synergy and a cheaper monthly bill didn't hurt either.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12