Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpl View Post
    ...My answer would be double everything the pre has....
    That is an interesting thought.

The Epic is about double the Pre in every way:

Screen: 4" at 480 x 800 HD is twice the Pre's 320 x 480
    Speed: 1 GHz stock processor vs 600 MHz
    Keyboard: Epic keyboard is twice as big
    Camera: 5MP 3x digital camera zoom vs. 1x 3MP
    Video Chat: Qik Video Conferencing vs. none
    HD Output: 720p HD wireless vs. none
    Memory: 16GB microSD card included, supports up to 32GB vs. 8GB fixed.

The Epic is double in almost all ways except for one. The Epic is only 10% bigger than the Pre in overall size (volume).

So the Epic is pretty much the minimum spec for a flagship phone today?

- Craig
    Specs don't matter so much as the smoothness of the phones operation.
    Just look at the iPhone 3gs (heaven forbid someone bring that up) even with last years hardware it is still a very capable phone that is still in demand
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I want a native Google Voice app and enough RAM that the likelihood of getting the "too many cards" error only occurs if I have about 2 dozen apps running (i.e. approaches zero).

Am I the only person who has really been frustrated that Palm and Google haven't been able to get their stuff together so that gDial could make a resurgence?
    Compared to the Pre I'd like to see a slightly larger phone. One that still has a real keyboard though. Also it has to have a Micro SD slot please. At least a 5.0 megapixel camera. A HDMI output is a cool feature. Flash player is a must. Faster processor is a given.
    None of that matters if it's not easy and fun to use though, and that's why I like the Pre.
    I dont know if a 1Ghz processor is going to be enough? We can already run @ 1Ghz now, and if it is a 1ghz Snapdragon, then it will be outdated by the end of the year. With the newer 1.5Ghz dual core processors becoming available shortly, I would rather hope that HPalm is working closely with those vendors on bringing a monster out like the EVO was.

I would say either the dual core 1.5Ghz Snapdragon or Tegra 2 would be necessary to stay ahead.

They had their shot the first time around, and while HPalm has a beautiful, elegant piece of software, dont blow it on the hardware! They need to bring something that no one is expecting or has seen before or else they will already be behind.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Just look at the iPhone 3gs (heaven forbid someone bring that up) even with last years hardware it is still a very capable phone that is still in demand
    Until you put this year's software on it, which is when it bogs down like crazy (so I've heard from a few iPhone user friends).
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    So the Epic is pretty much the minimum spec for a flagship phone today?
    I don't really like android at all so I hadn't looked at any phones running android. I think that if the pre 2 were to come out today it should be the Epic (maybe with a second camera). The Epic actaully looks... well Epic
    Min spec for flagship phone: Be better than the non-flagship phones on that carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfd.lew View Post
    They need to bring something that no one is expecting
    Yes, that AND all or most of the things that people already have. This was the main problem with the Pre IMO. They brought cards and synergy, which no no one was expecting, but left out quite a bit of the essential stuff. This was unforgivable for many.

I hope they don't repeat that mistake.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Am I the only want asking for not just a Pre2, a Pre HD, but also a Treo Pro 2 and a Pixie/Centro 2?

You have the Pre 2 for the vertical slidin' lovers. The Pre HD for the big screen people. And then a Treo Pro 2 to compete with RIM/BB and a cheap as chips Pixie / Centro 2...

But of course, implement all the bell and whistles and newest tech available!

And while you're at it - make non-phone versions of the Pre HD and Pre 2, but without keyboards. Even brand it as the resurgence of the PDA, but HPalm needs more WebOS devices out there before the tablet comes out & non-phone devices are one way of doing it!
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    imo

the minimum goal must be at least 10 hours of talk/3g time.
    - the phone must be usuable as a phone for as long as possible first.

second, lag should not be much more than a few seconds. This helps define how usuable it is when it's needed.

everything else is a mix and match for the customer's preference such as camera quality, audio quality, video quality, keyboard, storage size and screen size. Processor speed doesn't mean much if it's not optimized for the call time and lag time.
    Those of you asking for 10 hours of talk time or 48 hours of usable time need to go back to flip phones. You can go days without charging one of those. Battery technology is simply nowhere near those kind of talk times on phones with largish screens.
  13.    #73  
    We just saw BlackBerry introduce their new flagship phone...with 2009 specs. Within a week the discounted price went from $199 to $99.

Some BlackBerry owners were holding out to see what the new phone would bring. Now that they found out it was the Torch, what do you think will happen next?

For many a car, TV, PC, or phone brand used to be like a marriage vow.

But today many are just dating until they meet someone new.

In phones you can buy the new biggest and best for $200 and ebay the year-old one for $100. Users often spend $1,000 a year. For $100 more they can have an endless stream of new toys.

Moore's Law predicted in 1965 that the number of transistors on a chip will double every two years (at the same relative price or less). This means that CPU speed and memory will double every two years as well.

45 years later and Moore is still spot on.

Smartphone specs are doubling every 12 months right now because miniaturization is catching up with mainstream development.

So from summer 2009 to summer 2010 we went from the Pre to the Epic:
    Overall Size: almost unchanged - 6.97 cubic inches vs. Pre 6.4 cubic inches
    4G speed - About 4x vs 3G at the location.
    Screen: 4" at 480 x 800 HD doubles the Pre's 320 x 480
    Speed: 1 GHz stock processor vs 600 MHz
    Keyboard: twice as big
    Camera: 5MP 3x digital camera zoom + autofocus vs. 1x 3MP
    Video Chat: Qik Video Conferencing due to front camera
    HD Output: 720p HD wireless
    Memory: 16GB supports up to 32GB

Android 3.0 (Gingerbread) has to come out quickly to accommodate the 1366x768 phones that are coming in less than a year. The 1.2 and 1.5 GHz CPU's are already coming for this fall. 2GHz CPU's are being sampled for next year.

A new flagship phone has to have specs to match the market then, not now. It is a rapidly moving target.

You don't want to drop the Torch.

- Craig
    Speaking of. Just sold my Palm Pre for $125 (with touchstone).

$75 for my Evo. Can't complain one bit.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234