Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I just shopped for my first smart phone, and though I'm retiring a Treo 650 I'm not exactly a Palm fanatic and took a serious look at the competition first. Phone characteristics that resonated most were processor/UI speed and screen size. Then came functionality/look & feel of the interface.

For those who have never had a smartphone (like me!), ANY smart phone will seem impressive at first. Then you learn the quirks and the real advantages. So if you really want the next gen Palm to do well, it MUST rank on top of the list in a number of areas - notably speed (CPU specs, 4G), screen size, and keyboard that is received well (reviewers make a huge issue about keyboards!). The Pre has fallen off the radar of phone reviewers and isn't even compared to the new gen of smart phones in reviews because it is too slow (cpu spec-wise) and its screen is too small. It just isn't considered a serious contender anymore. So whatever the next gen specs are, it needs to top some sort of list to get the additional press needed for the average buyer to consider it.

I chose the Pre a few weeks ago. Why? I plan to get another smartphone for my wife in a few weeks, and it will be Android. Probably an Incredible, Droid 2, or Droid X. We will use both phones for a month or so and give them both a test drive. Then I will keep whichever one works best for me, and if the other isn't what my wife wants we'll sell and get what she wants. Pre made my short-list because I researched like crazy, liked enough of what I saw about the WebOS to think it might be a really good option, and it was available to get immediately.

I dunno which I will keep, though I have a feeling I will want the combination of the larger screen of the Droid with the refinements of the WebOS. As I mentioned, you can't really know which will be best for your use/needs until you use it a while... there are still things I miss from my Treo 650!

This is just a perspective from a "newbie" who went through all the research and didn't read or see anything that pushed me towards the Palm at all in reviews. If I hadn't already had a Palm and thought to give it a serious look anyway, I would have easily passed up the Pre. The next gen Palm needs to be good enough to stay on the radar competitively for the next 6 months, which means larger screen (3.7"-4"), top notch cpu speed, and perhaps support 4G just 'cause it is a rare feature, and a keyboard (real or virtual) that gets high praise.

Hope this is helpful.
    I know it's been said before in this thread, but posting specs is hard. I mean it's fun to say that my phone has a 1Ghz proccesser in it, but most people don't care. What they do care about is if its fast, or so sluggish that you can't hit the end call button. (my biggest issue with the pre, if I call someone by mistake I can never hang up the call fast enough)

That said here what I think a Flagship smart phone should have... no lag, long battery life, full bluetooth support, be customizable, have both a physical keyboard and virtual, be able to hook up to external devices and have expandable storage.

No lag on stock apps! If the phone doesn't make an amazing impact on the average person when they demo it at a store then it won't sell, no matter how cool it is.

Long Battery Life! I only plug my phone when I'm sleeping, and I use it, alot. So if I have a late night and only get a few hours of sleep that's all the time my pre has to recharge. The extended life battery (with the big stupid looking back) is only just lasts long enough. My friend's blackberry can go for days without charging. Now I know its becuase his phone is very limited in want it can do, but to the uneducated person it looks like the blackberry has a better battery then the pre.

Bluetooth that just works! I had an old sony ericson dumb phone, but I could use bluetooth to hook it to my computer and GPS and it JUST WORKED! With my GPS I could send and recive Text messages (my gps would read them to me so I've not messing with my phone while driving). And I could use Bluetooth to send files to other phones or my computer. I could even use it as a mouse with my computer for PowerPoint Presentations. With my pre I can use bluetooth to play music... wow, what a smart phone.

Customization! On my old treo 700 I could change the sounds of everything, and on my friend's blackberry (a phone which I really hate otherwise) you can even set it to ring louder when its in the holster! I really miss my home screen too!

Physical Keyboard w/ Virtual Keyboard. In order for the phone to have the large screen people want the keyboard is going to have to be a slider if it's going to have a physical keyboard. Having used the virtual keyboard on the pre and the iphone I think having a physical keyboard is much superior, however if I get a text and just want to say "ok" just popping up the Virtual Keyboard is much easier then sliding the phone open.

External Devices. This kinda goes along with my bluetooth rant, but I want to be able to hook up keyboards to my phone, load photos into it from my camera and play YouTube Videos on my tv. Basicly I want to be able to use my pre as a netbook replacement.

Expandable storage. I'm not sure how important this is to the average person, but *I* would like it.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I don't care if it's 1500 or 150. I want a battery that will last 24 hours of reasonable use...
    AMEN Bruther!
    Well, well, first of all, i want a device that can fit with no problems in my pocket! No extravagant sizes, no intolerable annoyances :P Besides that:

-A high-res screen (850x480 would be nice, in order to be compatible with all these video converters for android-iphone's res would be even nicer, but i'm not sure if palm could do it), preferably 4'' or below (to me, 3,7'' are ideal for a phone)
    -AMOLED display, or an LCD that is really, really good (vibrant etc)
    -1Ghz Processor (not Snapdragon, the DroidX one)
    -512MB RAM/ROM
    -A battery that lasts a full day of use
    -microSD socket
    -A responsive and fast vKeyboard
    -Good Build Quality
    -A camera that just takes good pictures (irrelevant of MegaPixels), bundled with Xenon flash and records 720p vid

oh, and -WebOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpl View Post
    What they do care about is if its fast, or so sluggish that you can't hit the end call button. (my biggest issue with the pre, if I call someone by mistake I can never hang up the call fast enough)
    Ugh, I hate that so much on the Pre. A lot of times I'll hit the end call twice cuz it seems like the touch didn't register and when the OS finally catches up, it'll suddenly hang up and dial them again. WebOS is still a very young OS though, and software tweaking only comes with time. Hardware on the other hand, has to be maximized to the fullest cuz you only get one chance at it until the next release and no matter how slow the actual OS is, faster hardware is still faster hardware.

The next Palm device absolutely needs a dual core, preferably a Cortex A9 over a Snapdragon, and even more preferably the Tegra 2 SoC if possible. Why can't we settle for a 45nm Cortex A8 or Snapdragon? Because it'll be grossly outdated pretty much right after launch and although you can argue that Palm can't wait forever for "the next best thing", going dual core and out of order in one generation is probably gonna be the biggest jump in performance that we'll see for a long time.
    Sprint FrankenPre 2
    webOS 2.2.4
    Verizon donor
  6.    #46  
    Like it or not, specs are how phones are listed by Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile Best Buy, Radio Shack and all the rest.

A typical listing might say:

• 4.3-inch screen
    • Two cameras, including 8.0 megapixel
    • 1 GHz Snapdragon™ processor
    • 8GB microSD card
    • 720p HDMI output

Their friend told them to make sure that they got at least _ inches, __ GHz, and __GB. They don't even know what that means but they know they have to have it.

It is like the hiring process. It used to be that an employer put an ad in the paper and got a few dozen resumes and interviewed many of them. Now when you place your ad on monster or careerbuilder you have to set tight specs or you will get a thousand applicants. The filtering throws out really great people but if you don't meet the minimum specs, no interview.

Specs won't make the sale but it's the only way to get through the door.

Unless you are Apple. Apple could put an iTwinkie in a $200 box and people would stand in line all night to buy it.

So back to the question, "What are the Minimum Specs for a Flagship Smartphone Today?"

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    If you were to come out with a new flagship smartphone today, what would you say would be the minimum specs?

Let's assume that you will have great Messaging, Email, and Facebook apps, browsers, HD movie players, and music players. Oh and someone might use it as a phone so make sure you include that.

If you want a physical keyboard, should it at least match the Epic?
    Overall Size: just 10% bigger than the Pre
    Screen: 4" screen at 480 x 800 HD
    Speed: 1 GHz stock processor
    Keyboard? YES
    Camera: 3x digital camera zoom with autofocus, easy upload to Facebook
    Video Chat: Front camera for Video Conferencing
    Storage: 16GB microSD card included, supports up to 32GB

If you want an onscreen keyboard, should it at least match the EVO?
    Overall Size: no bigger than the Pre
    Screen: 4.3" 480 x 800 HD
    Speed: 1 GHz
    Keyboard? Onscreen
    Storage: 8GB microSD card included, supports up to 32GB
    Camera: 8MP autofocus 3x digital zoom
    HD output: 720p
    Video Chat: Front camera for Video Conferencing

What do you feel are the minimum specs for a Flagship Smartphone today?

- Craig
    I would say it should (for a flagship device) be on par with the EVO/EPIC with one exception.
    Screen Size - I think Anything over 3.5" is acceptable. I agree with another comment that 3.7" may be the sweetspot at the moment.

EDIT: And it should come with 16GB of storage minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I would say it should (for a flagship device) be on par with the EVO/EPIC with one exception.
    Screen Size - I think Anything over 3.5" is acceptable. I agree with another comment that 3.7" may be the sweetspot at the moment.

EDIT: And it should come with 16GB of storage minimum.
    I will one up that. Any phone that HP/Palm comes out with needs to be comparable to the next Android V2.5/3.0 in both hardware and software.

For those of you that think 'what for', version 2.5/3.0 isn't even out yet...and isn't due until the end of the year....

Well, sorry to rock your world, but the new HP/Palm device will be fighting against that. When we got the Pre it came slightly drunk to a fight with the iPhone 3G....unfortunately, iPhones bigger brother was there instead (3GS) and promptly beat it down.

Fast forward a year and some and monster Superphones are hitting the ground at sprinting speed like little super soldiers. Yet here we sit on this forum asking for something that 'at least' competes with the current super soldiers! Think ahead people.

Who is really stupid enough to buy last months super soldier(android 2.1/2.2) when you can have the upgraded version of it (android 2.5/3.0). Our 'new' Pre will be coming to the fight with his pants down already.

Specs to match the maximum of Windows 7 & Gingerbread (android) phones. Make it happen before those two release software releases hit the ground or give up.

Sigh....knife to gun fight all over again...
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    I will one up that. Any phone that HP/Palm comes out with needs to be comparable to the next Android V2.5/3.0 in both hardware and software ......

Sigh....knife to gun fight all over again...
    I agree with what you stated. I took the question to be general (not directly for a HP/Palm device) and to mean a device released at this time (like today or within a ~month, not end of year/future).

But again, I agree with your opinion on a HP flagship device.
    i want a Pre so ahead of its time that aliens come down to reverse engineer it.
    MicroSD slot with driver support for microSD(up to 2GB), microSDHC(up to 32GB), and microSDXC cards up to 2TB!

plus a lot of the stuff already mentioned.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    I will one up that. Any phone that HP/Palm comes out with needs to be comparable to the next Android V2.5/3.0 in both hardware and software...
    You are right.

If a company were to announce a new flagship smartphone for delivery a couple months from now, the specs would have to match what WILL be coming out then, not what came out months ago. If they want a few months of shelf life those specs had better be good enough to be comparable for several more months.

BlackBerry just announced that their new phone has the screen size and resolution from June 2009.

A week later they cut the price in half because no one would buy it. But even if they gave the Torch away only old BlackBerry guys would even look at it. "Grandpa, they have a new phone for you!"

So at the rate the market is turing over, a phone announced today for Chirsmas 2010 would need to match the phones already rumored:

Screen: 4"+, at least 480x800
    Speed: 1.2 - 1.5 GHz
    Memory: 16 GB+
    Camera: 10 MP autofocus 5x zoom?
    Camcorder: 720p minimum?
    HD Out: HDMI, wireless?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/18/2010 at 07:57 PM.
    actually, the Torch has a screen resolution from 2008...

other than that, I agree.
    The specs at the start are from phones currently on the market. We are talking about a phone for the future (3 to 4 months). If Palm comes out with a phone with those specs it will be trailing its competitors AGAIN. Palm needs to get ahead specs wise to get more people interested, otherwise it will continue to lose market share. With that said:

Size: Keep it the same as much as possible (HTC's EVO
    HD2 etc. are silly, even the iPhone is a bit too big
    for functionity)
    Processor: 2 gHz
    Storage: 64 gb (SD expension card is very convenient)
    Camera: 8 mgp, 5 x digital zoom, front camera for
    video calls (how about skype)
    Keyboard: slide out (make the buttons a bit rounder on
    the top) + on-screen
    Video: ability to play most popular video formats such
    as .mkv, .avi, .wmv, etc.
    USB port: that MUST be moved to the bottom or the
    top of handsent
    BATTERY LIFE: at least 48 hours

I maybe missing something and I am sure that my peers will point it out, but Palm should not consider what is the best thing currently on the market, it must think ahead of the market. The hardware is available, just put it together.
    Last edited by avramski; 08/18/2010 at 04:39 PM.
    I think A LOT of people would differ with your thoughts that iPhone is too big for functionality.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    48 hours of battery life?

I wouldn't carry that phone around. It would be soooo big.

What dandbj13 said is spot on. It's about the user experience. And WebOS has that part locked down.

Whatever HP comes out with next will be flexing the same muscles as the present phones I'm sure..bare minimum. Any of the 1ghz phones out there with WebOS on it would smoke. I can't wait!!

Hurry up, but take your time HP!!

-Hi res 4" screen (400x800)
    -16GB internal memory with an SD slot for additional 32GB max
    -Front & back camera (both HD and with dual led flashes)
    -Dual Proc (2ghz)
    -All day battery life
    -HDMI out
    -Built-in touchtone back = )
    Last edited by algee650; 08/18/2010 at 05:42 PM.
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Like it or not, specs are how phones are listed by Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile Best Buy, Radio Shack and all the rest.

A typical listing might say:

• 4.3-inch screen
    • Two cameras, including 8.0 megapixel
    • 1 GHz Snapdragon™ processor
    • 8GB microSD card
    • 720p HDMI output

Their friend told them to make sure that they got at least _ inches, __ GHz, and __GB. They don't even know what that means but they know they have to have it.
    Specs won't make the sale but it's the only way to get through the door.
    So back to the question, "What are the Minimum Specs for a Flagship Smartphone Today?"

- Craig
    Maybe it's just me, but when my friends come to me and ask for a phone suggestion I will tell them was OS they should get based on what they want. Generally I only spec quote on computers. I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't think specs (other then maybe memory size) have any effect on which phones an average person will buy. (I could be completly wrong, but it is at least true in the limited sampling I just did of my family)

That said, you're right of course, the question you asked is what are the minimum specs for a flag ship phone. My answer would be double everything the pre has...
    1.2 GHz proccesser
    32 gb of memory
    1 gb of ram
    2 cameras both at least at 5mp with flash and one with zoom and NOT fixed focus
    3000 ma battery
    802.11n support
    same size screen but at double the resolution
    2 mics, for noise canceling and stereo recording
    720p video recoding and output to TV
    Native voip/video call support

I very much doubt you could fit these specs in a device the size of the current pre, which is one of the reasons I think the Droid is so big, and I would much rather have a smaller phone like the pre but with the improvements I mentioned in my other post, but to be the flagship phone and compete with the Droid and iPhone on a spec basis I believe those are the specs you would need, minimum.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by avramski View Post
    ...Size: Keep it the same as much as possible (HTC's EVO
    HD2 etc. are silly, even the iPhone is a bit too big
    for functionality)
    Processor: 2 gHz
    Storage: 64 gb (SD expansion card is very convenient)
    Camera: 8 mgp, 5 x digital zoom, front camera for
    video calls (how about skype)
    Other than the 2009 size, these will be the 2011 specs.

If anyone other than Apple had come out with that small of a screen, it would have failed in 2010. No one else could get away with going miniature.

Yup, it needs to be able to to do Skype. Once users have had Skype, they never go back.

Oh, and the 10 MP cameras are already announced for this year.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/18/2010 at 09:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Ram is another one of those specs that has no meaning in a vacuum. The iPad is one of the fastest devices on the market from a UI perspective, yet it only has 256, if I'm not mistaken. The iP4 has 512, but is not quite as fast as the iPad. High specs do not equal great user experience. Focusing on such things almost guarantees a bad experience because it means that the manufacturer is counting on the hardware as opposed to optimizing the software for the experience.
    I totally disagree. Look at the palm pre plus. Double the ram, half the problems and complaints. Ram is the single best upgrade per dollar, period.

iOS is also completely different than webos. It's like comparing apples to oranges, it has almost no multi-tasking.

Better games require more memory, flash games/websites will probably use more memory, I could go on and on.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast