Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    We already have flagship phones for today: AT&T>iPhone 4, Verizon>*latest flavor of Droid*, Sprint>Evo. What we need is a list of features for the flagship of tomorrow.

> 3D flash camera
    > Retinal 3D screen (like the DS only greater eye to screen range and easily enabled/disabled and insanely high pixels per inch)
    > Front facing camera with an adjustable light
    > Release 3 models: 1 with each flavor of keyboard (vert. and side slider keyboard and no keyboard)
    > Dual core processor
    > Enough RAM to support multiple simultaneous apps
    > Mobile phone GPU equivalent performance to Nvidia 8800GT or ATI 4770 (with about 512MB of RAM)
    > 802.11 N Wifi, 4G, standard other radios
    > An OS that only lags under heavy multitasking situations
    > 10 hour screen on battery life

The tech I listed exists, it's either to power hungrey, to big, and/or to expensive to implement. I think 3D screens and cameras are the next "big thing[gimmick]" for smart phones. I think they're just waiting for Nintendo to drop the research $ and suffer through the early growing pains.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Anyone playing the hardware spec game has already lost. Table stakes are not defined by hardware specs; they are defined by user experiences with the device. Nothing else matters.

Sure, the hardware plays a part, but only a part. There is a lot more to battery life than the size and wattage of the battery. There is a lot more to taking a great photo than megapixels. Slapping a camera on the front does not enable seamless video calling. A physical keyboard does not automatically make for better typing. The size of the screen is irrelevant. What matters is how well the device fits in your hand and pocket, as well as how well the OS looks, behaves, and can be operated with the input method of choice.

Arbitrarily declaring a set of specs as table stakes for a modern, flagship smartphone is just another form of alchemy. It is trying to take a bunch of random parts, applying the magic formula, and coming up with a great product. It is not that easy, never has been, never will be. I assure you, as soon as you come up with that spec formula, someone will come along the next day and make it obsolete. You can never win that game. Forget about specs and focus on experience.

What are the minimum experiences of a flagship device?

1. All-day battery life with normal use.
    2. Ease of use and discoverability.
    3. Easy access to the apps and games suitable for that device.
    4. It should be able to replace a point-and-shoot camera/video camera.
    5. It should be adept with all major forms of communication, Twitter, FB, etc.
    6. Video calling is going to become table stakes at some point.
    7. The interface must be transparent as in so fast and simple that it gets out of the way, and you never have to think about the OS.
    8. The touchscreen must be iPhone quality. The time for cheep screens has past.
    9. Web browsing must equal the desktop experience. It is no longer a secondary function for smartphones.
    10. It must enable ordinary people to do extraordinary things without the help of geeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    If you were to come out with a new flagship smartphone today, what would you say would be the minimum specs?

Here's my list of the minimum spec for a successful flagship level smart-phone:

• A catchy name that is no more than two syllables. Must also be easy to pronounce for speakers of english and spanish. Bonus points if it makes a veiled pop-culture reference.
    • A screen that is brighter than it reasonably needs to be, just so the display looks extra crisp in the stores.
    • The display should be large enough that most anything other than reading a book on it makes you look a little ridiculous.
    • A user interface with a larger than necessary number of "features" that are not actually particularly useful to the average consumer.
    • A broad selection of solid color and patterned snap-on cases. It's especially important that one of these be carbon-fiber look, and at least one be hot pink.
    • A front facing camera so you can tell people your phone has a REALLY cool feature that you have never used, and probably never will use.
    • 4G, because 4 is a bigger number than 3.
    • It needs to have the why-feyes and the bigger Gee-Bees.

All tongue-in-cheek sarcasm aside, that's a pretty honest list. Folks like us are the minority in the smart phone market. The majority of smart phone consumers make their purchase based on marketing and hype. If that wasn't true, the iphone would have been a flop.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    The problem I have is that any spec is really only based stock features.

You can make a phone plenty fast and have adequate battery life until people start pushing the envelope with software. Thinking back to PalmOS glory days. The original OS was super fast but as people prettied it up and added features you could easily make it a slug if you didn't limit tweaking. People will always find a way to push the limit of what the hardware can do, especially with games and endless clutter of tweaks.

Battery life in of itself is so arbitrary that its virtually impossible to make you happy. Reminds me of when I worked at HP support. People calling in complaining that their cartridge that was supposed to last for 3000 pages only lasted for 1800. "I'm sorry, pages per cartridge is based on 10% page coverage" No one accepted that as reasonable even though that was an industry standard rating. A phone manufacturer would have to rate battery life based on CPU load to be a true measurement but then the average user wouldn't understand how that related to him/her.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Anyone playing the hardware spec game has already lost. Table stakes are not defined by hardware specs; they are defined by user experiences with the device. Nothing else matters.

Sure, the hardware plays a part, but only a part. There is a lot more to battery life than the size and wattage of the battery. There is a lot more to taking a great photo than megapixels. Slapping a camera on the front does not enable seamless video calling. A physical keyboard does not automatically make for better typing. The size of the screen is irrelevant. What matters is how well the device fits in your hand and pocket, as well as how well the OS looks, behaves, and can be operated with the input method of choice.

Arbitrarily declaring a set of specs as table stakes for a modern, flagship smartphone is just another form of alchemy. It is trying to take a bunch of random parts, applying the magic formula, and coming up with a great product. It is not that easy, never has been, never will be. I assure you, as soon as you come up with that spec formula, someone will come along the next day and make it obsolete. You can never win that game. Forget about specs and focus on experience.

1. All-day battery life with normal use.
    2. Ease of use and discoverability.
    3. Easy access to the apps and games suitable for that device.
    4. It should be able to replace a point-and-shoot camera/video camera.
    5. It should be adept with all major forms of communication, Twitter, FB, etc.
    6. Video calling is going to become table stakes at some point.
    7. The interface must be transparent as in so fast and simple that it gets out of the way, and you never have to think about the OS.
    8. The touchscreen must be iPhone quality. The time for cheep screens has past.
    9. Web browsing must equal the desktop experience. It is no longer a secondary function for smartphones.
    10. It must enable ordinary people to do extraordinary things without the help of geeks.
    You're speaking mostly about an OS. We all would want those things. It's the OS that makes the device, hardware specs would practically be irrelevant. However, we're talking about hardware for the OS's that are available today and that enables us to talk specs.
    I don't think there is such a thing as a flagship smartphone anymore. With all the 1GHz phones out there, no phone really has an advantage over the other.

I think now days we attribute screen size and processor speed to a flagship phone. What the phone does depends on the OS at this point.

Hence why WebOS hasn't taken off. Small screen, lackluster stock processor, no APIs to let the 'cool' apps get ported over.

I completely agree. What can u do with the phone you bought, and how well can it do it.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Minimum 512mb ram. I think everyone is overlooking this
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    From a spec standpoint they're aiming at a moving target. By the time the next device hits the shelves, it has to be better than what everyone else has hitting the shelves at the same time.

Honestly I still think WebOS beats Android from a user interface perspective. You don't have to open a separate program to close background programs after all

From a hardware standpoint the phone would have to be...
    • 4G
    • Dual Core OR over 1ghz
    • 4" Screen
    • Retina Level Resolution

The other common features like front facing camera, high res back camera etc are all givens too. Think about what you actually miss when you use a Pre vs. another phone on the market. It's a little slower, the screen is harder to read then some of the higher res/larger screens, and the touch screen could probably stand to be a little more responsive...

As for physical keyboard or not, I think the profile keyboard is kind of their trademark but I wouldn't mind seeing models both with or without the keyboard (personally, I like it but that's all personal preference).
    Don't forget: HDMI port and 4G!
    how about an optical zoom camera and a pico.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I don't care if it's 1500 or 150. I want a battery that will last 24 hours of reasonable use...
    I would rather take the elegance of a phone design over the battery size....simply because my touchstones have eliminated any problem of batterylife. Palm coming out with a new touchstone line as well as a touchstone car charger is also helping.
    I'm with the rest... I want a fast phone with a good battery. No lag stock and still have a little juice left if I can't charge my pone at night. When I travel, I have a spare battery & I can go through 2 in 1 day. Now I am overclocked @ 800, but still... Shees! I can't wait for the new phone. Please release on all carriers at the same time!
    Quote Originally Posted by petrafan007 View Post
    Don't forget: HDMI port and 4G!
    I prefer DLNA software over HDMI hardware. I don't want to have to connect the phone if I can stream over the network instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood084 View Post
    Minimum 512mb ram. I think everyone is overlooking this
    Ram is another one of those specs that has no meaning in a vacuum. The iPad is one of the fastest devices on the market from a UI perspective, yet it only has 256, if I'm not mistaken. The iP4 has 512, but is not quite as fast as the iPad. High specs do not equal great user experience. Focusing on such things almost guarantees a bad experience because it means that the manufacturer is counting on the hardware as opposed to optimizing the software for the experience.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I'd have to agree with all the folks who mention that trying to come up with specs for a flagship device is trying to hit a moving target. What we have on here as absolutely essential today will be obsolete in 6 months or less. If it's going to be a flagship device, it has to be distinguishable from the other flagship devices out there, in more than just the OS.

That being said, I'd go with:

- a 1.2-1.5 ghz processor (or dual core, if the power consumption could be optimized for a mobile device)
    - battery with enough capacity to get me through the day (I don't care how many watts it puts out, I just want it to keep a charge), with the OS optimized for great battery life
    - 4G/Wireless N
    - minimum 512MB RAM, preferably 1GB to accommodate the abilities of the OS
    - while a front-facing camera would be cool, how often are any of us going to use it?
    - great resolution. I haven't seen the retina display yet, and I'm really happy with my Pre's display. If they can cram a bunch of pixels into a screen between 3.7 and 4 inches, I'd be stoked.
    - HDMI out
    - 5-8 MP camera with a fantastic lens/light sensor (because the number of pixels doesn't matter if you have a crappy sensor).
    - Anything else fantastic is gravy
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    How about optical 2x or 3x zoom on the camera and software Image Stabilization?
    - NO slider. It makes it that much easier and faster to use the phone.
    - Definitely a better camera - which also means faster, and my pics won't disappear
    - Virtual keyboard - because that eliminates ANY and ALL physical keyboard problems that have been common with the Pre!
    - Faster! ie, qualcomms up and coming 1.2/1.5Ghz processors....yes please!
    - higher res screen. and bigger screen.
    - WAY better battery life!!!
    - if it has these improvements, I won't be jumping ship!
    Also, a word to the wise, (HPalm, hi), announce the new phone(s) WAY before you are going to release them - build up hype! Let people (precentral,endgadget, cnet, gizmodo,etc) review it, make it such a good phone that the reviews are raving about it, saying how they can't wait for it to come out....have AT&T and Verizon and Sprint have adds for it, posters in stores, put up bilboards in Times Square...HP has money for this....really really build up the hype! Look what hype and a great marketing campagin did for the Droid. This is what the next Palm phone needs. Plus, if more people have the new phone, that means more apps. Its a win win.
    Twitter: adamcarter
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    I'd have to agree with all the folks who mention that trying to come up with specs for a flagship device is trying to hit a moving target.
    This thread illustrates that perfectly. The specs at the top of the thread have already been obsoleted by the specs further down.
    I specifically only care about hardware specs that offer some kind of digital convergence, or at least get things out of my pockets. I think a butane lighter attachment would be nice, perhaps interchangeable with pepper-spray.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast