Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    BlackBerry Torch 9800 at Half Price After Only One Week

http://m.gizmodo.com/5614455/blackberry-torch-now-available-at-half-price-after-bad-sales

By Jesus Diaz, Aug 16, 2010 11:52 PM
    Sales are so disappointing for the BlackBerry Torch 9800 that Research In Motion has decided to halve its price from $199 to $99 only one week after its launch. You can find the deal in many online retailers.

This huge price cut follows disappointing sales, perhaps caused by generalized bad reviews in the press... or the simple fact that the Torch is just a bad phone compared to the competition. While this could be RIM's best BlackBerry phone, the 9800 has a ridiculous 480x360-pixel 3.2-inch screen—which pales in comparison with the iPhone 4 and the top Android phones—and a messy operating system which "fixes none of the major problems with BlackBerry."

A 50% price cut one week into the product's life is definitely not good news for Research In Motion, who was hoping this was going to be the great savior against ferocious competition from Apple and Google.

The discounted Torch is available from Amazon and many other online resellers with a two-year AT&T contract. AT&T's page hasn't been updated yet.
    'Tis a shame - not the sales, but what that a Blackberry is no longer what it once was. Blackberrys (Blackberries?) used to give you something that no other mainstream phone did. Non-tech people knew what a Blackberry was and what it did. Unfortunately this new phone is just a catch-up device - they needed something new, something no one else does at the moment to recapture the public attention away from Apple. No wonder sales are poor, the main users of these phones are business big-guys who were probably waiting for the price cut before buying anyway, not tech-geeks who must have everything on launch day (and pay for it).
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have NaN posts.
    They waited too long to release it and BB 6. IMO, it's not a bad phone, just late compared to what's out there now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    very true.... Plus it is like a knock off of the pre (with higher build quality)
    the os is like a carbon copy of webOS and the phone itself looks like a pre.... Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery though
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    very true.... Plus it is like a knock off of the pre (with higher build quality)
    the os is like a carbon copy of webOS and the phone itself looks like a pre.... Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery though
    Clearly someone has neither held this phone nor run its operating system. You sound like someone who thinks a Toyota Corolla = a Ferrari 599. After all they both have 4 wheels, seats, an engine, and they look similar when they're painted the same color and you squint really hard.

But the Pre is simply a slower performing, less configurable knock off of the Samsung SCH-i730 ... which was built in 2003!
    And, it's on ATT.

If it were on Sprint, I'd exchange my Tour for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Clearly someone has neither held this phone nor run its operating system. You sound like someone who thinks a Toyota Corolla = a Ferrari 599. After all they both have 4 wheels, seats, an engine, and they look similar when they're painted the same color and you squint really hard.

But the Pre is simply a slower performing, less configurable knock off of the Samsung SCH-i730 ... which was built in 2003!
    well ive tried it out at a store and frankly the reviews are correct. The phone is outdated, as stated though its not that bad but due to the specs compared to the masses its a disappointment. Also the phone is very laggy (much more so then a sprint pre stock running 1.4.5 so your fact there is incorrect). The web browser though is a big step in the right direction is horriably choppy, and the phone locked up on me 3 times trying to open and close applications to fast. The phone really operates like a Android device with a drawer like interface to open and close things (its not a bad idea at all just executed bad). In my opinion if you ask for it, the editors were correct in stating BB should have released this phone last year, and released a more competitive model this time around. This will hurt BB alot, and as long as HP successor to the Pre has the specs, and fixes the hiccups the orignal pre has, they will take alot of BB owners. Honestly though i love the build of the BB torch and wish the pre launched with these mechanics last year, It wont out shine even a year old pre, with a less desirable design.
    funny though over at BGR state that they have a report that the torch sold 150k its first weekened?

RBC Capital: RIM sold 150,000 BlackBerry Torchs opening weekend « Boy Genius Report
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well ive tried it out at a store and frankly the reviews are correct. The phone is outdated, as stated though its not that bad but due to the specs compared to the masses its a disappointment. Also the phone is very laggy (much more so then a sprint pre stock running 1.4.5 so your fact there is incorrect). The web browser though is a big step in the right direction is horriably choppy, and the phone locked up on me 3 times trying to open and close applications to fast. The phone really operates like a Android device with a drawer like interface to open and close things (its not a bad idea at all just executed bad). In my opinion if you ask for it, the editors were correct in stating BB should have released this phone last year, and released a more competitive model this time around. This will hurt BB alot, and as long as HP successor to the Pre has the specs, and fixes the hiccups the orignal pre has, they will take alot of BB owners. Honestly though i love the build of the BB torch and wish the pre launched with these mechanics last year, It wont out shine even a year old pre, with a less desirable design.
    You're right. My analogy was intended to point out that minor, vague similarities hardly make two significantly different devices 'knock offs.' I didn't intend to infer the Pre is a Corolla and the Torch is a Ferrari. It's really more like the Pre is a Taurus and the Torch is a Camry.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ... and as long as HP successor to the Pre has the specs, and fixes the hiccups the orignal pre has, they will take alot of BB owners.
    Why would this be, again?
    sorry bud but the i730 and the pre both have sliders...not quite what I wa getting @.
    have you played with the torch? I have, and I will stand by my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post

i sell the torch here in my att store... played with ... trainedc on it sold quiet a number of them, set them up... and i can tell you this

UI... Torch took and improved the launcher HOW??? you ask.. by getting rid of the dock and allowing you to set the number of icons, wether the entire launcher page or no launcher...

They could have improved it more had they added the ability to add additional pages to the launcher and not "folder" pages)

Thats the only place the launcher is better.

Universal search is One thousand times better on the torch than on any other device... its more graphocaly pleasing as well..

other than that its a blackberry

I love my pre and WebOS btw
    I have to agree with Jesus Diaz's other post regarding the price cut.

It's not like RIM didn't sell a lot of phones. It sold 3x more than the Pre the first weekend. It's that RIM positioned its expectations even higher.

"The BlackBerry Torch only sold 150,000 units in its first three days? That's not bad at all. The real disappointment here is how deeply RIM bought into its own hype.

The hordes are proclaiming the Torch a massive failure, and they're right—but not because of how many units they sold. 150,000 handsets is a lot of phones. In fact, it's totally in line with other major launches of the last couple of years: Sprint sold that many Evo 4Gs in its first three days, and it's three times as many as the Palm Pre managed at launch."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They waited too long to release it and BB 6. IMO, it's not a bad phone, just late compared to what's out there now.

That sounds about right to me. Before die hard palm loyalists start snickering we better hope that this isn't a harbinger for things to come in regards to the next palm device......
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The question is whether RIM will be more successful at maintaining its base of users better than Palm has been. RIM's market share is declining but is still pretty healthy. The problem with Palm is that its smartphone market share has dropped to around 2%. It will take some pretty unique and compelling devices along with a lot of marketing dollars to take back users from the other platforms.
    To RIM's credit, they're entrenched in markets that CAN'T migrate to other platforms. Palm doesn't have anything even remotely similar to keep them afloat.
    Only sold about 150,000 of them on opening weekend...

RIM Sells 150,000 BlackBerry Torch Devices in Debut [REPORT]
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    RIM knows its leaking customers. A new OS isn't an option for them. So i respect what they're doing. I guess their hoping to get going with tablets to help with the smartphone decline.

Their emphasis is on communication. Not crap apps of the week or whatever.

And also on battery life. A 3ghz processor and a super retina oled screen would kill battery life. I'm guessing they had to compromise.

It's up to RIM however to push those advantages. Obviously many bloggers don't value those blackberry staples like security, battery life, and communication.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    I have to agree with Jesus Diaz's other post regarding the price cut.

It's not like RIM didn't sell a lot of phones. It sold 3x more than the Pre the first weekend. It's that RIM positioned its expectations even higher.

"The BlackBerry Torch only sold 150,000 units in its first three days? That's not bad at all. The real disappointment here is how deeply RIM bought into its own hype.

The hordes are proclaiming the Torch a massive failure, and they're right—but not because of how many units they sold. 150,000 handsets is a lot of phones. In fact, it's totally in line with other major launches of the last couple of years: Sprint sold that many Evo 4Gs in its first three days, and it's three times as many as the Palm Pre managed at launch."

true the torch did sell that many, but yes its a massive failure due to not only the number of BB users out there, and how long everyone has been waiting for BB 6. I have played with it as I stated, and see nothing state of the art about it, as well as with all the high end devices coming this fall it will flop hard just due to the basic specs alone, and because the OS is very infant compared to even a pre thats OS has atleast matured abit since its year long running. BB torch downfall will be because they refused to add a stronger chip, screen size, and resolution that will be now pitted as a secondary or third option when it comes to buying a phone. So 150k depending on how many BB users there are (which is more then 3x what they sold over the pre) massive failure yes.
    This is the big reset for RIM. With much fanfare, they have released their new OS and new style of phone onto the world. They have redefined their platform with this offering. Everything was riding on it.

BB is dead. It's flailing corpse just doesn't know it yet.
    It was already behind the curve (specs) at release. Not sure how this affected sales for the non-techie.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast