Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BB is still the top selling smartphone. This bit of bad news should make them an attractive takeover target for Microsoft or Cisco. Both need to buy their way into a better position in the mobile market...
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    I have to agree with Jesus Diaz's other post regarding the price cut.

It's not like RIM didn't sell a lot of phones. It sold 3x more than the Pre the first weekend. It's that RIM positioned its expectations even higher.
    Can you post a link that confirms that Palm only sold 50,000 phones over the launch weekend? I think that sounds a bit low, other than VZW. I certainly hope that Sprint and AT&T both moved more than 50,000 devices on their first weekend...

Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Can you post a link that confirms that Palm only sold 50,000 phones over the launch weekend? I think that sounds a bit low, other than VZW. I certainly hope that Sprint and AT&T both moved more than 50,000 devices on their first weekend...
    No problem.

Sources are Paul Coster (JP Morgan), Tavis McCourt (Morgan Keegan), and Michael Walkley (Piper Jaffrey).

Those are the #s for Sprint, btw.

Correction: Workerb33, you're right. 50k is low. The analysts said >50k, <150k.
    Last edited by stung; 08/17/2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Perhaps there is not a strong appetite for portrait sliders in the market. I am annoyed by the cramped keyboard, tbh.
    If the Torch would have been out around the time the Pre was announced at CES in 2009 it would have sold out everywhere. Now, we are close to CES 2011 and it just doesn't cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    No problem.

Sources are Paul Coster (JP Morgan), Tavis McCourt (Morgan Keegan), and Michael Walkley (Piper Jaffrey).

Those are the #s for Sprint, btw.

Correction: Workerb33, you're right. 50k is low. The analysts said >50k, <150k.
    Thanks for the data. Did you find numbers for VZW and ATT? I tried the google and couldn't find anything useful.

Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Thanks for the data. Did you find numbers for VZW and ATT? I tried the google and couldn't find anything useful.
    Can't find anything about AT&T. Best I could find:

~183,000 in first month at VZW.
    Source

Data used: here
    ~183,000 sounds pretty good, but they probably sold fewer than for the following 3 months with such a botched up launch.

Reserve yours today!
    HI all,

Is the new BB already in trouble...RIM cuts the price by 1/2 only a week after it hit stores shelves.

Take care,

jay

BlackBerry Panics, SLASHES Price Of The Torch, Its 'Best BlackBerry Ever'
    Huffington Post, Catharine Smith First Posted: 08-17-10 04:48 PM | Updated: 08-17-10 04:54 PM

BlackBerry Panics, SLASHES Price Of The Torch, Its 'Best BlackBerry Ever'

The BlackBerry Torch 9800, trumpeted as the "best BlackBerry ever," seems not to have won over users.

The device, which has been available for only a week, is BlackBerry's first phone to run on the company's new BlackBerry 6 operating system. It is also the first BlackBerry featuring both a sliding keyboard and a touch-screen.

However, following several tepid reviews and lackluster sales (150,000 units were reportedly sold in its first weekend), BlackBerry has slashed the Torch's price tag in half--from $199 to $99.

Fast Company's Dan Nosowitz calls the move "surprising." Nosowitz also explains BlackBerry's tough position:

RIM may have the biggest smartphone market share in North America, but the Canadian company hasn't had a bonafide hit in some time--and that becomes a real problem when you consider the legions of huge-selling competitors, including the iPhone 4, HTC Evo 4G, HTC Droid Incredible, and Motorola Droid X. The new BlackBerry Torch, the first phone to run RIM's "revamped" BlackBerry OS 6, was supposed to be that device that revitalized the company, but it just didn't happen.
    The Torch is selling for $99 on Amazon, Fast Company reports, but is still available for $199 on the AT&T website.

Take a look at the BlackBerry Torch's features here, and tell us what you think about the device in the comments below. Would you pay full price? Is it the best BlackBerry ever--and is that enough to compete?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    <<threads merged>>
    BB will be the new Nokia? One day, it seems everyone has one, they have defined their segment of the market for years, so much so that they cannot change and grow with the new era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I didn't intend to infer the Pre is a Corolla and the Torch is a Ferrari. It's really more like the Pre is a Taurus and the Torch is a Camry.

Just remember that the Taurus is the car that brought ford back from the dead.

Can webOS save the "Palm" brand name, I think so...

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Here is a little more info......

Hi all,

It looks as if Rim/BB is in the same mess that Palm found itself in!

Take care,

Jay

BlackBerry Torch Fizzles: What's Next For RIM?
    By Tony Bradley, PC World

BlackBerry Torch Fizzles: What&#039;s Next For RIM? - PCWorld Business Center

The BlackBerry Torch 9800 was heralded as the second coming of RIM: the BlackBerry phoenix rising from the ashes to assert RIM's dominance of the smartphone market and regain some of its lost former glory. A week has gone by and reports of anemic sales, combined with slashing the price of the Torch in half indicate that RIM may need to give serious consideration to its future.

The BlackBerry Torch is the crown jewel of RIM's smartphone portfolio, but being the biggest fish in a small pool doesn't mean it can swim with the sharks. Bottom line: the Torch is the best BlackBerry, but offers little competition for the array of alternative smartphones like the iPhone or
    Droid 2.

After selling an estimated 150,000 BlackBerry Torch smartphones, RIM has already cut the price in half. What's left in the RIM bag of tricks? If the highly-anticipated next-generation iPhone-esque BlackBerry is an abysmal failure, what is RIM supposed to do to retain or grow its smartphone market share?

If the scenario feels déjà vu, perhaps it's because Palm followed a similar path before ending up on the auction block and ultimately getting acquired by HP. Palm's WebOS and the Palm Pre smartphone were supposed to go head to head against the Apple iPhone and restore esteem for the once dominant purveyor of PDAs--a precursor to the rise of the smartphone.

We know how that worked out. Like the Betamax video tape format, IBM OS/2 operating system, or the Commodore Amiga, WebOS lost the battle against iOS and other smartphone platforms despite being considered technically superior by many.

RIM has established the BlackBerry platform as the de facto smartphone in corporate environments, but that entrenched customer base is fading and RIM is offering very little reason to continue investing in the BlackBerry culture. As the iPhone and Android platforms become more business savvy, the BlackBerry platform is less and less appealing.

There have been rumors that RIM is also working on jumping into the tablet fray. However, RIM's approach to the tablet market is to develop the tablet as a companion device--sort of like a peripheral to a BlackBerry smartphone. That strategy could be suicide because it means that the success of the RIM tablet is tied directly to the success of BlackBerry smartphones.

It may be a little early for a death watch on RIM, but increasingly it seems that the only value left in RIM is its intellectual property and customer base. Perhaps the best potential future for RIM is to be acquired by a smartphone or tablet competitor. I still believe that Microsoft should be taking a close look at what a RIM purchase could do for its ongoing mobile technology efforts.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    the difference is that palm built the right architecture. RIM just slapped a new UI on their old crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    sorry bud but the i730 and the pre both have sliders...not quite what I wa getting @.
    have you played with the torch? I have, and I will stand by my statement.
    I have played with the Torch too and I still don't understand how you think BB OS6 is 'a carbon copy' of WebOS. There's literally no similarities in how the two different OSes function.
    the similarity is how they show the UI in the ads, not the substance.
    Seems the new Galaxy S blah blah blah on T-Mobile has had it's price slashed by half. It seems you can get it for free if you know where to look. This is how Android "competes".

It seems like companies are giving up on the premium model really fast, or they were never premium competitors in the first place.
    The Galaxy S is definitely a very good phone. There are cheaper Android options on T-Mobile though and it's considered a budget carrier to begin with in the US(not overseas though).
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The Galaxy S is definitely a very good phone. There are cheaper Android options on T-Mobile though and it's considered a budget carrier to begin with in the US(not overseas though).
    I get that, but the GS has only been out for a couple of weeks, if that, and it's already in the bargain bin. It was torched.
    +1. non-business users are abandoning their blackberries in droves.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast