Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Phone makers and providers must be high-fiving like no other as they engage in what reminds me of the dot-com and housing boom, record shattering everywhere.

Makers seem to build new models every week, making minor tweeks with different names and buyers are buying them faster than they can produce.

When will, or will buyers realize the game, since most dont have a clue about what OS version they have with Android?

From a consumer view, I would like a few versions of hardware (4 max) with the format Palm uses for OS, or Apple...thoughts
    Last edited by RoverNole; 08/16/2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Android is becoming the next Win-Mo in that it is split across countless hardware, and software versions. The thing about that is that android is able to have a massive market share without having a single device selling like the iPhone, which seems the best way to battle Apple
    The latest and greatest is only for bragging rights.
  4.    #4  
    You are correct, but at what point do buyers realize, or do they even care that their OS is outdated within a couple months and may/may not get updated?
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Cell phones have once again become status symbols. Remember when the cell phones were the size of car batteries and came in bags or brief cases. Owning one meant you were important. Now advertisers are marketing phones as a lifestyle (thanks apple), having the right trendy phone identifies you as part of the in crowd.

Add to that the fact that a lot of new smart phone users are venturing out to become part of that in crowd, and theres a lot of room for expansion in the smart phone market. App's for mobile devices will really drive sales more so than ever, so Im not sure I understand all the focus on hardware but its about the latest and greatest, the American way.
    ...one born every minute - that's why!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon no h View Post
    The latest and greatest is only for bragging rights.
    It really is! And as soon as everyone has that phone, the person will want to move on to the next great thing in the cell phone industry.
    There's a race to get the latest phone by the people who really do consider them to be status symbols and people who are really into tech. There's people that love to show off their brand loyalty, make lists of what phones they have bought in the past, etc. I'll never understand that kind of mentality.

For most other people, it's not big deal. It's just a phone, for Christ's sakes. There are many things in life that are more important. Not many people care if their phone is "outdated" in a couple of months, as long as it still does what it's supposed to do and doesn't break.
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Having the latest and greatest phone is a rising trend, but not to the extent people might think. My personal friends and family only get a new phone when they are eligible for an upgrade for the most part. Now reverse that and go and read a tech blog like Engadget and you will see people commenting about every major and minor spec on smart phones.

I frequent Engadget and just read a comment today from a commenter who posted on one of the Windows Phone 7 articles. The commenter basically said that he/she is looking forward to jumping ship to WP7 from an Evo. I instantly thought to myself... Wow! Obviously people like that are buying these phones off contract and pretty frequently on top of that. I know the price of the latest and greatest phones off-contract is always steep. Apple, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc. are all making tons off of these people. When it comes down to it though, I don't know one single person that follows that trend personally.

I guess the message that I'm trying to put out is that the trend of always buying the latest and greatest exists, but the majority of consumers only buy a new phone when they are eligible for an upgrade.
    Early adopters are beta testers

I still use my good ol reliable GSM Treo Pro.
    Just call me Berd.
    it's because most smartphone owners have ADHS, which is attention defi - hey squirrel!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Are you guys seriously complaining about having too many choices with too much competition and too much fast-paced innovation with OS updates?
  13. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I stayed with my previous cell phone for eight years and will likely stay with my Pre just as long or until the hardwear fails, whichever comes first.
    Most consumers don't care about the latest and greatest. They buy a phone and stick with it for a while. Heck, they don't even visit these sites. What you get with all these choices is that you can get more customers because they can find the ONE PHONE that is good for them.
    it was (is) the same in the PC upgrade market, more and more push for the latest gpu iteration or cpu model so you can get another 50-100 points on your 3D Marks score. I played that game from the first nVidia 16 chips all the way to geForce 4 (Ti4200) then I got off realizing that all my games played at 60-70 fps just fine @1024x768. Oooh but I couldn't play them at 1400x1280 or whatever.

...who cares? I stopped buying things that were the latest and greatest just because they were the latest and greatest. (don't get me started on the game maker conspiracy to push hw sales)

My Pre (2nd) is in 100% op condition and everything it kicked a** at when I got it, it still does. Hmm...funny just like my dual core 1.8 pc still works perfectly fine? Amazing...i didn't upgrade to a Core i7 cpu and my experience is...unchanged!

/rant off
    I don't buy a phone to brag about it. Only if it has new features or updates i want to use. Besides, who am i going to brag about having an iphone to? It's a mainstream phone.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Are you guys seriously complaining about having too many choices with too much competition and too much fast-paced innovation with OS updates?
    Not complaining, just asking a legit question which deals with the mindset of many who desire to have a new phone within 6 months, or so with NO major changes except for the name, or OS update that can be OTA on the average. Again, it reminds me of the dot com and housing boom of smartphones.

One of the things I love about Range Rover is a model body style is in place normally 10yrs with internal changes, and moderate external changes that doesnt prompt one to think their model is outdated shortly. This example reflects what I do like about apple and their 1 model, although I prefer various models, BUT the ability to know which is top of line, mid-level, etc. For the phone makers, and sellers, I think they desire the opposite, so buyers have to rely on sales reps supposely expertise. Just saying, no biggie
    I disagree with the premiss. I see no evidence that average people are jumping on the bandwagon of the latest and greatest. Most of the people I know who buy the newest product on the market are not coming from the previous newest. They were two or three generations behind. The same is true with regard to computers and TV. Yes, there are new options and iterative updates every year, but there is no evidence that people, other than the "freaks" who post on boards like these, actually upgrade any more often than they did before.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Not complaining, just asking a legit question which deals with the mindset of many who desire to have a new phone within 6 months, or so with NO major changes except for the name, or OS update that can be OTA on the average. Again, it reminds me of the dot com and housing boom of smartphones.
    Welp, i don't buy a new phone every 6 months. Apple doesn't make em fast enough. Neither does Palm/HP (although the Plus was out 6 months later..it doubled the RAM & storage..that's "major" IMO for a multitasking OS).

You referring to android users? The Evo and Epic are different animals on Sprint. On Verizon, its much closer as you have Droid x, Droid 2, Incredible, etc..none of which are vast improvements over the other. But i don't know anyone who upgraded say..from an incredible to a Droid x. Or if that is even an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    We certainly are in a boom that will definitely subside at some point. But it's a boom selling tangible goods that people want, quite unlike the dotcom and housing booms which were based on speculation, credit, and little else. This is where computing is going for the foreseeable future.

The fast pace is part of what is driving this trend. It also helps keep prices down due to heavy competition, and spurs jobs and development. It's not being driven by people who want a new phone with "no major changes" but rather people who want to try a different OS experience altogether, or even a different service provider. Apple is the notable exception to this rule.

But even if you want to stick with one model, who would bemoan manufacturers offering MORE choices or MORE competition?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast