Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikest View Post
    Cell phones have once again become status symbols. Now advertisers are marketing phones as a lifestyle (thanks apple), having the right trendy phone identifies you as part of the in crowd.
    I work with someone like that. "The iphone is the greatest, and if you disagree its because you don't have one" etc, etc.
    How is this different from people's fandom for their new cars, their favorite sports franchise, the neighborhood of their new home or their latest television?

It's just human nature for people to be proud, and justify a new purchase. You see it all over the place here.

I don't know believe you just "know someone like that" - most consumers are exactly like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    The camera on the Pre is solid... But if you prefer it over the EVO's... Something is just wrong.

Btw... Don't forget battery life. I easily get twice the battery life out of my EVO... even with it powering 4" screen.

That's at stock for both.
    thats funny because not just me but most people I know who has the Evo has very bad battery life, and is actully comparable to the pre (as of the last update of course). I had to get a extended battery for my Evo just to make it 6 hours on moderate use. Mind you on my pre with moderate use I still get 5 hours with the F105 overclock kernal installed. So to me battery life is not a big grip, as the cameria as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by phantasm View Post
    I work with someone like that. "The iphone is the greatest, and if you disagree its because you don't have one" etc, etc.
    +1 very very true statement. Crazy huh, even now if you still have a pre or pixi and someone has a droid, or EVO they look at you like your in the stone ages, and are missing out.
    i wasnt allowed in a starbucks cause i didnt have an iphone along with everyone else there. I just went to dunkin donuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    thats funny because not just me but most people I know who has the Evo has very bad battery life, and is actully comparable to the pre (as of the last update of course). I had to get a extended battery for my Evo just to make it 6 hours on moderate use. Mind you on my pre with moderate use I still get 5 hours with the F105 overclock kernal installed. So to me battery life is not a big grip, as the cameria as well.
    I keep seeing varying battyer life with both the Evo and pre.

I think at the end of the day the end user dictates how the battery last on these devices.
    Some people that are always jumping to the next latest/greatest smartphone are using the devices to compensate for their shortcomings (i.e. low self esteem, low status, etc). Hey my phone is better than your phone, henceforth I am better than you, I am a winner because my corporation that I am loyal to is a winner. You see these people at social events showing off what their smartphone can do and what their most recent app can do (probably the only time that they use the app). Even though they don't own a Palm phone anymore, there are some people still coming in this forum, constantly jumping in every thread posting negative posts slamming Palm, bragging how much better their new smartphone is, I guess it makes them feel superior to everybody else, what other reason would anybody do this?
    Just wondering...

I don't remember the 'My Phone Rocks, yours sucks' attitude until the iPhone came out.

I wonder if Apple Cheerleaders are responsible for the user 'competition' thing?

I don't remember the phone status image before.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    the iphone set the bar with smartphones, before the iphone smartphones were mostly consider high tech, no woman having nerds, the iphone made it cool and high to have a smartphone and regardless of opinions the iphone is a smart phone.

our society is based on follow the leader, young guys act like thugs to get women...why? Cuz for most guys they feel it works, the iphone s a nice looking phone and our society is based around image so don't blame the iphone ****** for their remarks, they do want society tells them is acceptable.

a bmw is a nice but expensive to most car and a honda is just as reliable but considercheap, people buy bimmer for a reason.

people follow fashion.
    The biggest reason for a race to the next cell phone is to keep customers. A friend of mine has a launch day Pre (Sprint) and is up or has been up for an upgrade. He was waiting for something new from Palm (HP), but is tired of, as he puts it (not my words), all the promises of better performance and speed that are always, “coming soon.” He is also upset that certain apps are loosing support on webOS. I don’t use them, but he said one was the AP Mobile app and I can’t remember the other, but both went from being usable to it doesn’t work well/isn’t formatted well for the Pre (again his words not mine). He is now looking at getting a new Android around the end of August. Hardware changes fast and sometimes Palm just doesn’t seem to be up to the task. With as long as they are waiting to get a new phone out, it better not be outdated upon release. If it doesn’t use the new dual core OMAP that is right around the corner with faster processing and less power requirements, I'll be scratching my head and thinking of jumping ship. I read somewhere that the OMAP3 CPU in the PRE could in theory handle 4 hours of 720p video, while the new dual core could do 10 hours of 1080p –OR- 15 hours of 720p with the same battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I get 15-20 hours everyday with moderate use (with stock ROM and battery).
    Hell, I've added using Slingplayer for 1-2 hours a day for the past week or so and it is still lasting me a full day.

6 email accounts, Feed updates, weather updates, etc...

I get another 6-8 hours running a custom kernel/ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    The biggest reason for a race to the next cell phone is to keep customers. A friend of mine has a launch day Pre (Sprint) and is up or has been up for an upgrade. He was waiting for something new from Palm (HP), but is tired of, as he puts it (not my words), all the promises of better performance and speed that are always, “coming soon.” He is also upset that certain apps are loosing support on webOS. I don’t use them, but he said one was the AP Mobile app and I can’t remember the other, but both went from being usable to it doesn’t work well/isn’t formatted well for the Pre (again his words not mine). He is now looking at getting a new Android around the end of August. Hardware changes fast and sometimes Palm just doesn’t seem to be up to the task. With as long as they are waiting to get a new phone out, it better not be outdated upon release. If it doesn’t use the new dual core OMAP that is right around the corner with faster processing and less power requirements, I'll be scratching my head and thinking of jumping ship. I read somewhere that the OMAP3 CPU in the PRE could in theory handle 4 hours of 720p video, while the new dual core could do 10 hours of 1080p –OR- 15 hours of 720p with the same battery.
    that's assuming the omap4 is available.... which its not yet. will be soon though i believe, end of 3rd quarter to a "select few partners" i think i remember reading
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I don't remember the phone status image before.
    Before it was how small and thin they could get phone and still have it usable. The Razr seemed to be a status symbol for a while.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234