Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    You are right. There are so many Androids coming out, no one model is revolutionary. Each month is just another step in the evolution.

Android is like a million piranhas each taking tiny bites. A cow goes into the water and 3 minutes later all that is left is the bones.

From the Hero in October 2009 to the EVO in June of 2010, Android chipped away a bit at a time from:

3.2" 320x480 display, 528 MHz, 5MP Hero

to

4.3" 480x800 display, 1000 MHz, 8MP EVO

That's double the pixels, double the speed, and 80% bigger screen area in 8 months.

But that's through 10 new models.

It's like buying a laptop. Buy the fastest CPU, most memory, biggest screen, and best apps you can reasonably afford. That will give you the best life expectancy.

Once you buy do not torture yourself by checking back to see the new ones that came out every few weeks since then.

If you are a phone nut, go back in 12 months when you can upgrade and repeat the process.

Just don't stay in the water too long.

- Craig
    Along with previous posts, this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone will come back. While Palm's been working on...stuff...Google and Apple have refined and matured their platforms to the point where coming back to WebOS is a considerable step backwards.
    I wouldn't go back to Palm, if just new hardware is released. webOS is a great foundation, but I'm not about to walk back in time...
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 08/17/2010 at 03:31 PM.
    You are right. There are so many Androids coming out, no one model is revolutionary. Each month is just another step in the evolution.

Android is like a million piranhas each taking tiny bites. A cow goes into the water and 3 minutes later all that is left is the bones.

From the Hero in October 2009 to the EVO in June of 2010, Android chipped away a bit at a time from:

3.2" 320x480 display, 528 MHz, 5MP Hero

to

4.3" 480x800 display, 1000 MHz, 8MP EVO

That's double the pixels, double the speed, and 80% bigger screen area in 8 months.

But that's through 10 new models.

It's like buying a laptop. Buy the fastest CPU, most memory, biggest screen, and best apps you can reasonably afford. That will give you the best life expectancy.

Once you buy do not torture yourself by checking back to see the new ones that came out every few weeks since then.

If you are a phone nut, go back in 12 months when you can upgrade and repeat the process.

Just don't stay in the water too long.

- Craig

+ 1 though some people on here want to argue for argument sake, with no logical argument. Common sense isnt common for everyone huh lol.....well said though.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I wouldn't go back to Palm, just if just new hardware is released. webOS is a great foundation, but I'm not about to walk back in time...
    so releasing a phone hypotheically speaking because I dont know the specs:

1.5ghz phone with omap 4 chipset
    8meg cam, 2 meg cam front facing
    1 gig ram
    32 gig internal with micro sd card
    4 inch screen

so my question is lets say these were the specs, how is this walking back in time?
    Nerds buy toys but are a fraction of the phone market. Consumers buy features.

If you are under 30 the one thing your smartphone never does is ring.

- Craig
    Very true. My kids barely talk on the phone... but they typically have 4k-12k terxt messages a month!
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    so releasing a phone hypotheically speaking because I dont know the specs:

1.5ghz phone with omap 4 chipset
    8meg cam, 2 meg cam front facing
    1 gig ram
    32 gig internal with micro sd card
    4 inch screen

so my question is lets say these were the specs, how is this walking back in time?
    Because it's the same OS with the same limited options, same limited SDK, same limited developer pool, and the same glitches.

Thus, the user experience the same, merely faster at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Because it's the same OS with the same limited options, same limited SDK, same limited developer pool, and the same glitches.

Thus, the user experience the same, merely faster at times.

wow so whats limited at this point as a OS on webos please explain, then explain what isnt limited on any other OS on the market. Then give me compare and contrast on what other OS's have on the market currently that Webos dosent have, or can offer. After 1.4.5 whats limited with the SDK last time I checked webos can port over anything at this point. The developer pool should advance with a power of HP behind them, as well as the gliches should be assessed. Though even with 1.4.5 before HP really put their foot in the OS most of the basic glitches are taken care of. I have a EvO as well and can state the same about Android with its short comings as a OS, besides the fact Android took off already in terms of developer pool, they have just as many glitches, as the Webos with a even more limited SDK (maybe even more compared to webos). All on the same OS skined up with moto blur or sense. Yes the EVO is free through an employer.
    After 1.4.5 whats limited with the SDK last time I checked webos can port over anything at this point. ... besides the fact Android took off already in terms of developer pool, they have just as many glitches, as the Webos with a even more limited SDK (maybe even more compared to webos).
    webOS can't port what isn't available... like anything that needs the microphone API....
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    webOS can't port what isn't available... like anything that needs the microphone API....

I thought zcorder uses the microphone API?
    whatever it's using isn't published by Palm, and therefore subject to change.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    wow so whats limited at this point as a OS on webos please explain, then explain what isnt limited on any other OS on the market. Then give me compare and contrast on what other OS's have on the market currently that Webos dosent have, or can offer. After 1.4.5 whats limited with the SDK last time I checked webos can port over anything at this point.
    - Missing APIs in the SDK.
    - The GPU is dormant except for PDK games using it.
    - OS options that are standard in Android are missing from WebOS, hence the kazillion possible patches.
    - Most apps are single-oriented (portrait or landscape)
    - Native apps are still incomplete (apps with no text entry have boilerplate cut/copy/paste options) or glitchy (photos app still processes every photo individually)
    - No virtual keyboard
    - No Swype
    - No limited focus on the Camera
    - No 720p recording

That's considerable, I think.

The developer pool should advance with a power of HP behind them, as well as the gliches should be assessed.
    Plenty of things SHOULD happen. Doesn't mean they will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    whatever it's using isn't published by Palm, and therefore subject to change.
    thats true unfortunatly hopefully they take whatever these developers has done with patchs and what not, and incorporate it into this next webos version. Though even my Evo I have rooted needed to be to do some of the simplest things like adb shell but could not remove files out of /system/app, when of course we can with internalz. So my statment is just saying every OS has its short comings, and mishaps and every OS has a hacking version to help maximize what the base developer didnt, or wont do. To me thats the nice part about being able to make your device more of your own.
    though one issue i have had with the droid and now the EVO is after rooting your phone it seems some apps will no longer appear or allow download. Copy protected apps in the market that apparently don't recognize your phone after a root or a ROM change will no longer appear for you to download. which can be very annoying, like now Im unable to install the full version of flash 10.1.
    though one issue i have had with the droid and now the EVO is after rooting your phone it seems some apps will no longer appear or allow download. Copy protected apps in the market that apparently don't recognize your phone after a root or a ROM change will no longer appear for you to download. which can be very annoying, like now Im unable to install the full version of flash 10.1.
    Well return it to stock, find a better ROM, or tell the developer about it and see if he can find a fix for it. All the apps on the market that I have tried downloading work on my moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    Well return it to stock, find a better ROM, or tell the developer about it and see if he can find a fix for it. All the apps on the market that I have tried downloading work on my moment.
    ok thanks I will have to try to talk to the deve first hopefully i wont have to return it to the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    - Missing APIs in the SDK.
    - The GPU is dormant except for PDK games using it.
    - OS options that are standard in Android are missing from WebOS, hence the kazillion possible patches.
    - Most apps are single-oriented (portrait or landscape)
    - Native apps are still incomplete (apps with no text entry have boilerplate cut/copy/paste options) or glitchy (photos app still processes every photo individually)
    - No virtual keyboard
    - No Swype
    - No limited focus on the Camera
    - No 720p recording

That's considerable, I think.

Plenty of things SHOULD happen. Doesn't mean they will.
    - agree

- 50% agree as I don't have too many issues with missing features and I use both the Pre and the EVO.

- This is not that bad. In fact, there are some on the EVO that needn't be.

- I actually find myself going back to the Pre for stills. I just don't have any issues with the camera.

- Virtual keyboard on the small screen on the Pre doesn't work. Now if the Pre were 3.7 inches, then I would expect options.

- No Swype - ? Really, that's a bad thing? It would be nice, but it is not a glaring issues.

- No limited focus on the Camera - Agree

- No 720p recording - Can't enable if it is not capable. Put it on the Pre 2.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I sold my iphone 3GS for around 350.00.

What other phones sold around then would sell for that much? A sprint pre? Hero? Moment? A blackberry? Probably a hundred or so.

It doesn't cost me anything to upgrade iphones except the initial cost.

I spent 299 for an iphone 3G. I sold it for around 400. I used that to buy an iphone 3GS for 299. Sold this for 350. Bought an iphone 4 for 299. Next June i'll sell it and get something else.

In all then, i've spent 150 on iphone hardware since June 2008.

I'm upgrading iphones each year and i'm making a profit. AT&T could choose not to offer upgrade pricing each year, but it hasn't happened yet. After checking to see what my upgrade date is for next year, it says i'm already eligible. Go figure.
    Best thing about Apple is the high resale value of the products due to high demand.

My Sprint Pre can probably get $50 on craigslist and I bought it in March and I kinda regret it due to the low demand and no app support but I got it so wth.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Why would anyone pay more than list price for a used iphone?
    Because they can buy it off contract, and also purchase out of market. I researched it online (Ebay) before I sold mine, and many were selling internationally.

It's like buying a car that is in demand and that has a good resale: it might be more expensive upfront to buy a pricey phone, but the trade in can make it worth it and brings down the cost of ownership.
    Once you go Swype... You never want to type!
    The camera on the Pre is solid... But if you prefer it over the EVO's... Something is just wrong.

Btw... Don't forget battery life. I easily get twice the battery life out of my EVO... even with it powering 4" screen.

That's at stock for both.
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 08/17/2010 at 10:29 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast