1.    #1  
    Man, I hope this is the right forum, I get so tired of trying and picking the wrong one....

Just saw this over on Android Central: http://www.androidcentral.com/adobe-...ndroid-q4-2010

Just wondering what this does to webOS? Basically it sounds like Adobe AIR is what webOS has been saying it will be all along? (note: I am not saying this but when you read the description of: "The Adobe® AIR® 2 runtime enables developers to use HTML, JavaScript, Adobe Flash® software, and ActionScript® to build web applications that run as standalone client applications without the constraints of a browser", isn't that what webOS has said it is or will be?).

Not trying to start a webOS vs Android war -- just wondering what y'all think of AIR and what it might do to webOS?
    It depends on

- Whether AIR will really get picked up as a mobile platform - a concept I think is pretty dubious
    - I can't remember whether webOS will support AIR apps. IIRC it didn't the last time I looked at it.

Personally I think it's a little late for Adobe to get significant pickup on a HTML-5-based cross platform framework like this. Everybody is already doing it on their devices without Adobe and it's not too hard to port and get what would probably be a better experience.
    theres also mozilla prism.

the browser is soon to be superfluous.
    My question is whether it will have deep access to the OS. I can sort of see it working in webOS since the Mojo functions are simply exposed as web-services. Question is if it would be equal to a first-class webOS app. I also wonder exactly how it will work on Android. It's almost a ship-in-a-bottle-in-a-boat no? I mean, on the PC there is a runtime that AIR uses right? So on a mobile OS will it be a runtime within a runtime on top of an OS?
    I might add that the point is not that any software that can run "html5" apps competes with webOS, is quite the opposite. The point is that developers must realize developing "html5" apps is the way to go, and thats when webOS enters.

As far as I know the desktop version of SPAZ does run in AIR and one of the reasons it was easily-ish ported to webOS and not other, is...guess what...

Thats the same reason PhoneGAP, another "machine" thant runs javascript "apps" and can install itself as a native application in either iphone, android, webOS or any other supported phone, is good for webOS and supported by palm, and not the opposite.

Same for appcelerator.

Same reason palm do sponsor the new multiplatform jquerymobile.

Even the fact that people made html5 "apps" for Google Chrome can be good for a webOS tablet as long as an open standard over its metadata could be finally achieved.

Thats why "mojo core" will exists. Because palm wants that for your existing javascript app made however you wanted and that runs on any of those html5 machines, you could access the core of webOS if you need it.

Because the whole point of all of this is to let people use the standard html5, css3 and javascript to build anything they need to build.

Running any of those applications is the core philosophy of webOS and for what webOS is optimized and built. Not wasting any resource in anything more and optimizing every single piece of the OS for that.
    air and prism are both basically "universal browser layers" allowing for web code to be executed the same on different platforms, and akin to any emulation layer there is definitely a degradation in performance. palm is using webkit in a similar manner.
    I've used AIR quite a bit on the desktop. It's very useful for when I need to create a desktop app for Windows and Mac. You see its potential in apps like Tweetdeck and Grooveshark.

Success as a mobile development platform depends a lot on Adobe making it available on multiple platforms. Another issue is how much much access it will have to features like File I/O, hardware input/output(like mic, camera, video out, etc).

I'd certainly give it a chance if it became available for WebOS in addition to Android. I probably wouldn't consider it for single platform development though.
    I agree with Muesli's post. To me, Adobe Air isn't the same as webOS's Mojo app SDK- I see Adobe Air as being a lot more like Java than anything. With webOS, you don't need to have code run through a machine- a middleman, really- instead, the code is executed/run just like how a .exe is executed in Windows or how a .app is executed in Mac OS X, or how a shell script is executed in the command line. But with AIR, the code all has to go through the AIR runtime to be run. And you need to have AIR installed for the code to run. Sounds a lot like Java to me- it needs to go through a machine, and you need the runtime already installed to run it. That middleman slows it all down quite a bit. Also, Adobe AIR apps are written in "HTML, JavaScript, Adobe Flash® software, and ActionScript®" First of all, if those trademark symbols doesn't make it clear enough, AIR isn't about open standards. Where is CSS? Seriously, how can they call AIR apps "web-based" if they don't have CSS, a core web technology? And ActionScript and Flash... those aren't standards, nor are they web-based. They run in browser plugins, they're not part of the web, and they're certainly not open. AIR just strikes me as yet another "Write once, run anywhere" platform, and we all know how successful that's been. The only "Write once, run anywhere" platform that's ever been successful or has produced good apps is the web. And AIR isn't the web. I don't see AIR doing much, and I don't want it to- I don't need Adobe's oh-so-secure and battery-draining Flash on my Pre. Most AIR apps on the desktop seem to use way more Flash than HTML or JavaScript. AIR also is an extra step in installation- AIR itself needs to be installed before you can use an AIR app. Blegh. Maybe I'm overly dismissive, but AIR doesn't look like it'll be embraced by devs if you ask me.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
    You wouldn't consider Java successful?
    With the news today about the Google Chrome OS tablet being released in November via Verizon and since the Chrome OS will ONLY run Web applications, how will this affect WebOS?.

From my read of the available info, this OS should support Flash, HTML5, and Silverlight along with the other Web standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    You wouldn't consider Java successful?
    I wouldn't consider Java a successful cross platform clientside technology. Its done well on servers though.