Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A number of Verizon Motorola Droid 2 threads are merged into this one thread.

_
    Motorola Droid 2 and Palm Pre

Hardware
    Overall Size: Droid 2: W 2.38" x D 0.53" x H 4.57" = 5.76 cubic inches is smaller than the Pre: 6.4 cubic inches
    Screen Size: 3.7" vs. 3.1"
    Resolution: 480 x 854 HD is double the 320 x 480
    Speed: 1 GHz vs 600 MHz (Pre2 is 1 GHz)
    Keyboard: Droid 2 keyboard is twice as big as the Pre
    Camera Resolution: 8 MP vs 3 MP (5MP Pre 2)
    Autofocus: Yes vs. No for Pre, Pre Plus or Pre 2
    Digital Zoom: 3x vs. none
    Voice Dialing: Yes vs. No
    HD Output: 720p HD wireless vs. none
    Memory: 8GB microSD card included, up to 32GB vs. no micro SD
    • The Droid 2 has nothing like the Palm Touchstone
    • The Droid 2 does not have a front camera and does not support Video Chat

Basic Android features
    • Many webOS patches are already built into Android or are apps.
    • Speech to Text - say a message or email instead of typing it.
    • Widgets let you customize your home screen
    • Voice Search is much like like universal search but by voice

Android's open API's allows for apps not in webOS
    • A variety of Android music players instead of one in webOS
    • Android mic access allows speech and sound recognition in apps like:
    - - Shazam can use an Android mic to listen to a song & tell you what it is
    - - Voice Actions can do things like "send text to Jeff Miller See you at 10"
    - - Talk to Me hears your spoken words and says it in other languages.
    - - gStrings can tune your guitar, base, violin, etc.
    • Android developers can access the camera for apps like:
    - - Camera 360 - Camera Magic - Camera Pro (4x zoom) - Camera ZOOM FX - Vignette
    - - Layar can use the an Android camera to look beyond walls
    - - Barcode Scanner can use the camera to read barcodes
    • Other apps available now in Android
    - - Swype - type by sliding a finger around. Sets Guinness Record - More.
    - - Amazon Nook & Barnes and Noble Kindle eReaders (900,000 free books)
    - - Flash Beta 3 - Yes, it is real.
    • There are 100,000 Android apps...

Palm Pre/Pre 2 Comparisons:
    - 4.3" HTC EVO - 4.3" Droid X - 4" Captivate - iPhone 4
    - w/Keyboards: 3.7" Droid 2 - 4" Samsung Epic

For more information see:
    - Official Motorola Droid2 website
    - Motorola Droid 2
    - Hands-on Review
    - Epic, Droid 2, Pre 2, and Pre Comparison Chart
    - cNet Review
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 10/26/2010 at 04:08 PM.
    Hi

FYI all,

Take care,

Jay

Motorola Droid 2 debuts; 3G mobile hotspot, 1GHz CPU, QWERTY
    By Andrew Nusca | August 10, 2010, 6:43am PDT

Motorola Droid 2 debuts; 3G mobile hotspot, 1GHz CPU, QWERTY | ZDNet

If the HTC Evo 4G and Motorola Droid X left you missing a physical QWERTY keyboard, Motorola’s new Droid 2 cell phone may fit the bill.

The mobile handset maker on Tuesday announced the latest incarnation of the original iPhone-killer-to-be, with evolutionary upgrades to keep it in line with the latest crop of premium handsets.

That includes enterprise features such as:

•Full push corporate e-mail
    •Support for Microsoft Exchange
    •A unified inbox
    •Remote wipe
    •Password enforcement
    •3G Mobile Hotspot to connect up to five PCs, mobile device and other Wi-Fi compatible devices
    The phone — now without circa-1981 gold accents! — sports a 1GHz processor and version 2.2 of the Android operating system. Motorola also says it has rethought the Droid’s keyboard with larger keys, more space and “better tactility.”

The phone also offers:

•Adobe Flash Player 10.1
    •A 5 megapixel camera and “DVD-quality” video capture
    •DLNA connectivity with an HDTV, game console or PC
    •Preloaded social networking widgets (read: Motoblur behind-the-scenes)
    •Swype continuous virtual typing
    Motorola’s Droid 2 will be available on Verizon starting Aug. 11 for $199.99 after a $100 mail-in rebate with a new two-year contract.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    wow a phone with flash. I remember when that was a dream. Palm smartphones are dead or they are coming up with the greatest phone ever with quad core processors and 3d. Which do you think is happening?
    In this corner we have Droid and in that coner we have Droid II

Take care,

Jay

Motorola's Droid 2 vs. the Original Droid

The Motorola Droid 2 officially launches on Verizon this week. Here's a side-by-side glimpse at how the phone compares to its predecessor, the original Motorola Droid.

JR Raphael, Tuesday, August 10, 2010 05:59 PM PDT

Motorola's Droid 2 vs. the Original Droid - PCWorld

Ladies and gentlemen, the next generation of Droid has entered the building. Well, almost.

Verizon officially took the wraps off its Motorola Droid 2 Tuesday morning. The Droid 2 is a direct successor to the original Motorola Droid, which debuted last November. It launches this Thursday, August 12, with presales beginning on the 11th.

So what's actually changed from the original Droid to the new Droid 2? A decent amount, actually. Check out this comparison chart for a side-by-side glimpse at the two phones' specs and features, and read on for some more specifics. (Click image to zoom.) In basic appearances, the top bevel on Motorola's Droid 2 has a silver finish and extends all the way to the bottom of the phone, whereas the original Droid's bevel was black and left a quarter-of-an-inch gap at the bottom. The Droid 2 also has a blueish tint to its back side, compared to its predecessor's solid black look. (You can get a closer look at the Droid 2's design at Verizon's 360-degree demo page.) Oh yeah -- and then there's that limited-edition, super-geeked-out R2-D2 edition of the Droid 2, too. That's pretty damn cool.

The most significant differences, however, aren't about looks; they're about functionality. The Droid 2 has a completely redesigned keyboard with larger, raised keys and no directional pad. It also boasts a 1GHz processor and 512MB of RAM, giving it considerably more power than its older brother's 550MHz chip/256MB RAM combination.

In terms of storage, the Droid 2 packs a respectable 8GB of internal space. The original Motorola Droid, as those of us who own it know all too well, is limited to a relatively puny 256MB internally.

The Droid 2 ships with Android 2.2 already preloaded with support for Adobe Flash. The first Droid, meanwhile, is in the midst of receiving its Android 2.2 upgrade right now, and it looks like it may be another few weeks before Flash support is enabled.

Even within Froyo, the two phones have noticeably different flavors. The Droid 2 has the same customized user interface as Motorola's Droid X. It's essentially a toned-down version of Motoblur: It's less cluttered and intrusive, but the basic features -- the social network widgets and special navigation bar -- are still present. The Motorola Droid, in contrast, runs an unmodified version of the stock Android operating system.

In all of the Droid 2 prelaunch discussion, one thing we didn't hear much about was battery life. According to Motorola, this is an area where the Droid has been dramatically improved. Motorola quotes an estimated talk time of 9.6 hours with the new Droid 2, compared to 6.4 hours with the earlier model. In standby, the Droid 2 is listed at 13.1 days; the first Droid gets 11.3.

Finally, the Droid 2 -- like the Droid X -- includes support for Wi-Fi hotspot functionality. This feature can be activated for an extra $20 a month. The original Droid, due to apparent firmware limitations, does not have this option (though it can still be tethered via USB, with the right configuration).

So there you have it: the tale of two Droids -- two very different phones with a lot of similarities. Let's just hope this story doesn't end in sibling rivalry.

JR Raphael is a PCWorld contributing editor and the author of the Android Power blog. He's on both Twitter and Facebook; come say hello.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I just played with one tonight. The keyboard slider is sooo tight, it's like the anti-oreo slider. Horrible. horrible.
    I'd rather have it nice and tight rather tha have oreo effect.
    If not a portrait kb then none at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I just played with one tonight. The keyboard slider is sooo tight, it's like the anti-oreo slider. Horrible. horrible.
    You make 'anti-oreo' sound like a bad thing.
    Uh... That's what she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You make 'anti-oreo' sound like a bad thing.
    it is if it takes both hand and significant force to open it. The slider on the first one is excellent. On the new model it's like they don't really want you to be able to get it open.
    I love how VZW is giving Pre+ users free Mobile Hotspot, but is charging Droid users. Another win for Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezy View Post
    I love how VZW is giving Pre+ users free Mobile Hotspot, but is charging Droid users. Another win for Palm!
    Given the reason why the Pre Plus mobile hotspot is free, I wouldn't exactly classify that as a win.
    I assume you're referring to the GPS problems? There is both an app and a patch to help resolve it. I surprisingly have no problems with my Pre+'s GPS any more, neither the app or patch are installed, only the GPS toggle in the device menu.
    No, the reason is because no one was buying it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Winner!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    This is the only reason why I bought my Pre Plus and turned out my friend's droid can do wifi tethering once he rooted his droid. Anyway, I learn to love my Pre Plus however I wouldn't mind having those nice apps from Android markets. And Android's GPS is just amazing, I wish my Pre Plus is half as good as Android, well I take 25% as good as Android.
    I think the Palm Pre Plus is a good deal if you want a cheap smart phone.

But anyone who buys it at $150 on Sprint right now is silly IMO. $50 on verizon (or free) is perfect.
  18.    #18  
    The comparison in the opening post has been expanded to include the Pre 2.

The Pre 2 adds these features to the Pre:
    • Clock Speed: 1GHz (Note: Many overclock the Pre and Pre Plus to 1.2 GHz)
    • Memory: 16 GB (Same as the Pre Plus)
    • Screen: Glass
    • Camera Resolution: 5 MP

The Pre 2 does not change these features:
    • Display: 3.1"
    • Resolution: 320 x 480
    • microSD Card: none
    • Video Chat: none
    • Front camera: none
    • Camera Autofocus: none
    • Camera Zoom: none
    • 4G or LTE compatibility: none
  19.    #19  
    Fair the well little Droid 2 for now you are replaced.

You had a good run, little guy, released in August 2010 and laid to rest in November 2010.

4 months may not seem long but is an eternity in phone years. Your heart was twice as fast (1GHz) but no one seemed to notice.

Now you will be remembered with your ancient ancestor, the Droid, released a full year ago!

Some may remember you as little more than a Droid with a 1 GHz processor but you will live on...

OK, enough about that.

Here is the replacement: 3.7" Droid 2 Global

Move along everyone. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 11/03/2010 at 09:40 AM.
    Palm Pre 2 16GB memory runs at 200MHz vs. Palm Pre Plus 16GB running at 166MHz....That will also make a difference in performance other than just the 1GHz CPU.

Still awaiting for next gen webOS HP Smartphone...

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The comparison in the opening post has been expanded to include the Pre 2.

The Pre 2 adds these features to the Pre:
    • Clock Speed: 1GHz (Note: Many overclock the Pre and Pre Plus to 1.2 GHz)
    • Memory: 16 GB (Same as the Pre Plus)
    • Screen: Glass
    • Camera Resolution: 5 MP

The Pre 2 does not change these features:
    • Display: 3.1"
    • Resolution: 320 x 480
    • microSD Card: none
    • Video Chat: none
    • Front camera: none
    • Camera Autofocus: none
    • Camera Zoom: none
    • 4G or LTE compatibility: none