1.    #1  
    I was reading a story about the mid-level manager at Apple that was getting kickbacks for production information, and this was the corporate response to the issue:

"Apple is committed to the highest ethical standards in the way we do business," said Apple spokesman Steve Dowling in a statement. "We have zero tolerance for dishonest behavior inside or outside the company."

Highest ethical standards, eh? They weren't dishonest in regards to the hardware challeneges their newest baby had... of course not!

Discuss....
    Quote Originally Posted by jack.shiot View Post
    I was reading a story about the mid-level manager at Apple that was getting kickbacks for production information, and this was the corporate response to the issue:

"Apple is committed to the highest ethical standards in the way we do business," said Apple spokesman Steve Dowling in a statement. "We have zero tolerance for dishonest behavior inside or outside the company."

Highest ethical standards, eh? They weren't dishonest in regards to the hardware challeneges their newest baby had... of course not!

Discuss....
    It's unethical to defend their product? Yes, the iPhone 4 has had some problems with the antenna and the proximity sensor- the antenna issue seems to only effect people in the US though, and the proximity sensor seems to be fixable with a restore for some people, but still it's a problem and they should deal with it. Which they are. And they should also defend the iPhone 4. It's their product. They have an obligation to their stockholders and their employees, and themselves, to defend it. They're a corporation. By your logic, Adobe shouldn't defend Flash. Flash has lots of problems- it's slow and buggy on mac and linux, it's a memory hog, it's completely inaccessible to blind people, it's a battery drain... I could go on and on. But they have a right to defend their product. Hey, it's their job to do that. They're a company too. Companies defend their products. Is there something wrong with that? Now I agree, Apple's response was frustrating and everything, but they were honest at least to the point of admitting that there's a problem, and they're giving out free cases which seem to resolve the issue. Now, you can say that their videos of "death-grips" on other phones were dishonest (they used bars instead of dBM, they didn't disclose where they were or where the tower is, they didn't say how easy it is to make it happen, etc.), and I'd have to say I agree that the videos were dishonest, but that's a separate matter- that issue about Apple's conduct and attitude, not their products.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Shameless plug: For more of my thoughts, ideas, sarcastic remarks, and other things you're probably better off not not thinking about, follow me on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by jack.shiot View Post

Discuss....
    You're right, they weren't dishonest!
  4.    #4  
    Of course they're going to vigorously defend their products and they do have an obligation to their shareholders and clients. But to claim that the problem with reception was because of a computation issue and not the hardware, a metal antenna wrapped around the outside of the phone?. I understand it's their product and they have a right to defend it - however flawed it is - but this is about reputation as well. This is just a little ***** in their armor nonetheless.. but it did show people that Apple CAN totally screw up. Its an out-of-the-box design problem.. and apple is ALL ABOUT design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb_or_Sam View Post
    the antenna issue seems to only effect people in the US though
    Untrue - I replicated the issue on an iPhone 4 in a Telus store in Toronto.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    what were you doing in an apple store?
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    what were you doing in an apple store?
    From what I read, he went there to test out the phone's antenna. And what he proved is the 'death grip' works on all weak wireless networks ... like AT&T and Telus.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Untrue - I replicated the issue on an iPhone 4 in a Telus store in Toronto.
    It's not a defect if it's something you have to purposely do to make go wrong.
    "Since you have to purposefully try to brake with those Priuses in order for their braking system not to work, it's not a defect in the Prius."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    From what I read, he went there to test out the phone's antenna. And what he proved is the 'death grip' works on all weak wireless networks ... like AT&T and Telus.
    Technically it wasn't me... it was my friend. He went to the Telus store to see if they have any Desires on demo, they didn't but had the iPhone 4 on display. He just tried it.

And actually in urban setting Telus/Bell's HSPA network performs better than Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    It's not a defect if it's something you have to purposely do to make go wrong.
    You use zero point energy to hold your phone? We were just holding the phone with our bare hands.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    "Since you have to purposefully try to brake with those Priuses in order for their braking system not to work, it's not a defect in the Prius."
    There's definitely a distinct difference as you're using the the device as intended. The iPhone 4 is a different story, the only true way to duplicate a strong signal attenuation issue is to do the "death grip".

Yes, you can produce a signal attenuation by simply bridging the gap in the lower left corner, but that's the norm with any mobile phone when holding or covering it in certain places.

Don't believe me? Then check out the Youtube video I made about a month ago demonstrating signal attenuation on the HTC Evo:

But there are issues with people holding the phone normally, or left handed people!
    No there's not, that was simply a statement blown way out of proportion by the media. Did anyone stop to think who broke this "issue"? It was Gizmodo, the same source that was brought down by Apple for buying the lost iPhone.

Two months after release, where are the mass returns? Why is the iPhone still sold out everywhere? Because the issue isn't real.