Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I am tired of the apple n android coming to our site, of Precentral and disrespecting Hp, Palm, Webos.

I'll stand to Defend The Webos Name.
    Who is with me?
    I would be but this thread is in the wrong section
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Sorry for that sir, perhaps where to post it?
    Well, right now Webos hp/Palm is the laughing stock of all the OSes right now and if they don't want to be they need to up their game and compete. I won't defend them sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes and right now Palm is sucking and the polls and the sales show it! There are quite a few members on this site including the editors that own more than one device including myself.
    Last edited by kinster02; 08/14/2010 at 12:17 AM.
    Tooley,

Pre|Central is open for anyone - no matter what OS they are running - to join and share their thoughts. There are a lot of phones and OS's out there to choose from and you cannot grow if you don't hear from others in a discussion.

One thing that has always made P|C stand out to many members (and a big reason many joined and many stayed after switching) is that this forum has always been very open and welcoming to all. Hopefully we can keep being known for that for a long time.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    it's fine that people own different devices, but when a person is trying to force it or their opinions onto someone than it can become annoying. Yes Palm hasn't shown it's hand yet for new Hardware n in my opinion that's a great move. We know what apple has n what android has, so when Palm releases the new Hardware I'm sure they will be anything but a laughing stock, n people will see that Palm is a serious contender.

It's Great that Precentral is open to everyone, I'm just tired of all the Webos Bashing that goes on, and that I am not afriad to say.
    Tooley - a phone is more than just hardware. Hardware makes up the phone, but the software is what makes the phone.

Right now, there are 4 -5 competitors in the smart phone market.
    S60 - symbian devices made by nokia
    BBOS - blackberrys
    WebOS - Palm
    iOS - Apple
    Linux - Android

Now think about this for a few... WebOS is linux based... so anything WebOS can do, android phones have the possibility to do. The latest droid phones destroy the pre+ in hardware specs. Massive add catalog .. possibly half crap or more.

Blackberrys are great for email, app catalog is full of crap with some diamonds in there. Hardware is reliable, os has some quirks. Well, BBOS5 does.

S60 - app catalog is ok, excellent free gps though. Solid, fast. Hardware varies with the phone. My E71 suffers from the death grip just like the apples do. Its bluetooth is mediocre at best. It has voice dialing though and will do everything my blackberry got used for. I might keep a nokia around, even when it comes time to upgrade them.

iOS - iPhone 4 is a solid phone. If you like the OSx interface, then the iphone will feel right at home. Massive app catalog but a high crap to gold ratio. It's a closed platform, but all in all easy to jailbreak.

WebOS - as it stands it used older hardware, though uberkernel is helping alot. Limited apps. High crap to gold ration. Lacks features offered in all other phones. Nice UI.

It's all a matter of preference. There is good and bad about every smartphone out there. Both in hardware and software. To defend one or to single one out as the worst is pointless. Each has it's strong points. None of them are perfect.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I agree that there is no perfect OS. However just for the Fact that Palms 1st Flagship phone is said to be not selling well doesn't mean it's any less of a smartphone. People have their Prefrence and that's just fine. What I'm getting at here is for people on the forums, (those who do) to just stop the smashing of the Pre. I phone has been around for how long? And Android had a huge Push. True Palms Marketing wasn't very good, but there is no denying that what palm has done with Webos is truly original. I believe the Cards of Webos have n will have an impact on the market, look at the competition trying to go for the true Multitask that Webos Does. Yes there is much more to Webos than Multitasking.

There is no denying that Palm a company of Just over 1000 people have come up with incredible software, and decent hardware ( all flagships have their problems). And for this I applaud Palm on their effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    I agree that there is no perfect OS. However just for the Fact that Palms 1st Flagship phone is said to be not selling well doesn't mean it's any less of a smartphone. People have their Prefrence and that's just fine. What I'm getting at here is for people on the forums, (those who do) to just stop the smashing of the Pre. I phone has been around for how long? And Android had a huge Push. True Palms Marketing wasn't very good, but there is no denying that what palm has done with Webos is truly original. I believe the Cards of Webos have n will have an impact on the market, look at the competition trying to go for the true Multitask that Webos Does. Yes there is much more to Webos than Multitasking.

There is no denying that Palm a company of Just over 1000 people have come up with incredible software, and decent hardware ( all flagships have their problems). And for this I applaud Palm on their effort.
    Last January when WebOS was first announced I was a happy iPhone user. After hearing the promises and hype of WebOS I fell for it, even went as far to try and convince my friends (I work in the tech industry) that it was the next best thing in the mobile space.

Fast forward a year and a half later and I look like a fool (and feel like one).
    barkerja - what are you "missing"? One of the few things going for webOS is an active developer community that actually talks and listens to other users instead of just developing whatever they feel like doing. There may already be patches or homebrew that do what you want... unless it is voice related.
    Quote Originally Posted by scytherfwd View Post
    barkerja - what are you "missing"? One of the few things going for webOS is an active developer community that actually talks and listens to other users instead of just developing whatever they feel like doing. There may already be patches or homebrew that do what you want... unless it is voice related.
    Here are the things I miss on webOS/Pre.

1. Homescreens/Widgets
    2. Voice Dialing
    3. 8 MP camera
    4. Battery Life (I get ~20hrs on stock)
    5. 4" Screen (regardless of color depth, if you don't think the EVO screen is more usable than the Pre's... your in denial)
    6. VPN connectivity
    7. Logmein Ignition
    8. 1Ghz Processor
    9. Swype
    10. Voice Search
    11. Flash Support
    12. Visual Voicemail (No clue why this is not on the Pre)
    13. Responsive UI
    14. Slingplayer
    15. Google Maps (much better App. And yes, for obvious reasons)
    16. 720P video recording
    17. Autosync On/Off (very useful to conserve battery when needed)
    18. Rock Player (Plays just about any audio/video file)
    19. Password Safe
    20. Sirius Online Radio App

Huge interest from developers.
    BTW isn't there already another thread like this?

All you're going to accomplish by starting another thread about this... is providing another opportunity to discuss that what already frustrates you.

Again, webOS is a great foundation. But webOS is falling behind (significantly) with regards to feature set and hardware when compared to it's direct competition. It's very hard not to see that.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    With How Open the Nature of Webos is, It's going to be Very intresting to see what exactley comes out for 2.0 (all the fine details).

Talk about nit picking as above some people are just never happy. If those are the features that are important to you, than do ur research, dig around a few sites and find a phone that has most of what you would like. Clearly the Pre or pixi at the moement are not for those snobs who feel they must be spoiled.

I could easily say that any smartphone needs a 10 Ghz processor, a 100 mp Camera and a battery that Last all year on a single charge. Lets come back tto reality, every OS has it's ups n downs. I suggest for all the cry babies, simply do ur homework ( some actual research for once).

Long live Webos
    Last edited by TOOLEY; 08/14/2010 at 06:53 AM.
    alot of the people bashing Palm / HP are pre owners so not having the iphone , RIM or Android people here wouldnt change anything. And honesty theres more bashing of the Iphone here then anything else. Ofcourse this is a Pre site so its expected but just saying. and these sections are for "Other Devices". if you dont want to read about them or the "bashing" they give the pre ( mostly deserved but we want HP to know the issues and make a better device) then its easy to just not come to this section. Again just sayin. Forums are for all opinions good and bad.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/14/2010 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Last January when WebOS was first announced I was a happy iPhone user. After hearing the promises and hype of WebOS I fell for it, even went as far to try and convince my friends (I work in the tech industry) that it was the next best thing in the mobile space.

Fast forward a year and a half later and I look like a fool (and feel like one).
    Well...there's a reason for that. The Pre was showcased in Jan, and had they started selling by Feb/March, Palm would've been much ahead of the game till atleast June (before the next iPhone's announcement)...which is a huge time-span in the mobile world...

Not selling for 5-6 months let the competition, which obviously had bigger budgets, catch up and beat Palm in its own game.

I think the Pre needs more USP's now (for one, being enterprise-friendly will surely help) since the competition has caught up, and in many cases, has marched much ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post

Interesting post...do you work for CNet who made the <strong><em>Palm Pre their CES 2009 Best of Show</em></strong> and now spurn even mentioning it in passing conversation?

CNet made that decision for a reason and good or bad journalist need to stand behind what they publish. Something about the Palm Pre and webOS gets everyone excited, which I never see and hear about with Windows Mobile 7.

Ignorant may be a little harsh...the EVO and X are interesting phones, but they are not Palm Pre! It all comes down to what you know...iPhone IOS4 users don't know what they are missing and continue to form lines like sheeple just or Droids (all puns intended). Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    I could easily say that any smartphone needs a 10 Ghz processor, a 100 mp Camera and a battery that Last all year on a single charge.
    The difference is EVERYTHING stated in gmanvbva's list is available NOW, with current tech and can be had on a single device while your statement is...contrived.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    The Iphone was revolutionary for it's time when it was 1st released, and since then one would think that there would have been vast improvements in the Os, other than waiting for the Iphone 4.

Webos is just over 1 1/2 years old, since it's been announced, has open the developer interface n become accessiable in such a simple and friendly manner. Not to mention the opening of the app catalog with Paid apps in less than a year to International users.

For those who Only care about apps, go have ur Iphones n be happy. Certain phones n yes even Os as fragmented as they may be, may appeal to select end consumers.

I myself am perfectly happy with my Sprint Palm Pre and as long as the software updates keep coming I'll comtinue to enjoy my Smartphone. I am not one to just leave for the next big thing that will be for only a few months.

Go find the Os that makes you happy n speak well of the competition. What's the use of bashing?
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    it's fine that these things are available now, however a year ago who dare dream of ownong a phone that's 4.3 inches? Who could have thoughy of running at 1ghz. (something the Pre does well with the help of homebrew, not bad for a 1 year phone , don't you think)?

Yes there have been improvements in what can be done with hardware, when you compare it to the last few years. It's just that simple to see all 1 has to do is look.

Throughout it all The Pre n Webos still stand strong
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting post...do you work for CNet who made the <strong><em>Palm Pre their CES 2009 Best of Show</em></strong> and now spurn even mentioning it in passing conversation?
    One needs not work for CNet to feel this way. I had a very similar experience and am also in the tech field. I've converted my immediate family to the Pre on launch day. NOT ONE OF THEM is happy with their Pre at this point in time; nor am I. I also spread the word as much as I could during the first few months until PALM let me down over time. It is not people like us that have dropped the ball, it is PALM! All frustrations should be directed at PALM because they are the ones responsible for their product.

CNet made that decision for a reason and good or bad journalist need to stand behind what they publish.
    It is infinitely more helpful for journalists to stick to the truth even if it contradicts what was published and believed to be true in the past.

It all comes down to what you know...
    True, but what "you know" boils down to what you are willing to learn. Having a closed mind about all that is not webOS makes one the exact "sheep/droid/lemming/etc" towards webOS that so many love to claim users of other OSes are.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast