Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Are you perhaps confusing task-switching with multitasking?
    I was wondering the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Are you perhaps confusing task-switching with multitasking?
    Many WebOS users here on the forum overplay the whole "multitasking" thing, I guess it's because it provides the only leg to stand on these days. Without the elegant task switching that WebOS does provide, what would be so appealing about WebOS?

Obviously its method of task switching isn't appealing enough, the market clearly shows that.
    Last edited by barkerja; 08/16/2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Say what you wish, each device handles tasking in a different manner, n if webos management of tasks are so feeble, why is Android, n Iphone 4 now trying to accomplish the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    Say what you wish, each device handles tasking in a different manner, n if webos management of tasks are so feeble, why is Android, n Iphone 4 now trying to accomplish the same?
    Android already 'accomplished the same' before the Pre ever hit the streets (just like WM, and BB had) - and with Froyo it took another leap forward. iPhone has always had the ability (you ever heard of jailbreaking?), but Apple prevented it by all but a few of their own programs. Even with iOS4 they've greatly restricted the multitasking aspects of the phone

But back to your question. WebOS' task switching is fairly elegant so long as you don't have a boatload of programs open. However, webOS' multi-tasking has been 'feeble' due to slow initial program loading, poor memory management and a history of inexplicable TMC errors. Supposedly ver 1.45 will improve on the last issue, but I haven't seen definitive proof of that yet.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Just like Jail Breaking an iphone, with a few selected kernels in Preware, or WebosQi, those errors are simply gone.

You say that this has been accomplished before the pre, yet has it been done in the same UI that is currently available on the Pre n Pixi?
    Just like Jail Breaking an iphone, with a few selected kernels in Preware, or WebosQi, those errors are simply gone.

You say that this has been accomplished before the pre, yet has it been done in the same UI that is currently available on the Pre n Pixi?
    Kind of. Cards are basically an improved version of the way Safari handled multiple web pages on the iPhone.
    Why use the same UI when there are unlimited approaches to task switching. WM used a bunch of techniques, a small number of which can be found at this site. Multi-tasking/GUI-based task switching was around long before the Pre.
    Me thinks the title of this thread should be renamed to "Who will help defend Webos from ignorance of the competition."
    Uh yeah, but you don't have to jailbreak an iPhone to make it execute its primary functions (e.g. web browsing, run apps, play music and video, etc.) properly. If you have a Sprint Pre, however, you MUST homebrew and run Govnah and a custom kernel just to use its most essential function - multitasking - properly.

Big difference. And even when you do that, the tradeoff is that you get more random pauses across all apps than before.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    I find it intresting how such people with all this knowledge have simply nothing better to do, than to try n force feed information to those who are content n happy with their Webos Device(s)
    but the idea that the webos community is going to band together and fight a war against the other platforms carries as much concern for them as Madagascar declaring war on the United States. It's an afterthought, they are too busy fighting each other to worry about webos.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    I find it intresting how such people with all this knowledge have simply nothing better to do, than to try n force feed information to those who are content n happy with their Webos Device(s)
    But YOU started this thread. Strange comment coming from the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    but the idea that the webos community is going to band together and fight a war against the other platforms carries as much concern for them as Madagascar declaring war on the United States. It's an afterthought, they are too busy fighting each other to worry about webos.
    Watch your mouth, sir. You're talking about a community that drove the Palm Pre Plus to win the Laptop Magazine vote competitions several times over. Apple should quake in their iBoots. Android might as well stop releasing updates and new devices now. We won!
    Some people find smartphone technology an interesting subject to discuss. Those people often post on internet forums. Some of those forums (such as this Cross-Platform chat forum) are intended for discussions comparing the various smartphone operating systems and hardware. If these discussions make you uncomfortable, you should avoid this forum (and perhaps many others too) .
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Watching Palm is kind of like the watching the Jersey Shore of the smartphone scene. There's always something new going on - various hook-ups, people leaving, people getting fired, outrageous hopes and dreams, temporary patching-up, fake skins, etc.
    Oddly enough, all the people I know who use a Pre live in New Jersey.
    Here is the Webster Dictionary's definition of computer multitasking:

"the concurrent performance of several jobs by a computer"

So if a regular person can
    1. Listen to their music...
    2. and text a friend at the same time...
    3. and then get an email notification and reply...
    4. and then get a calendar notification...
    5. and then get a Facebook friend request...
    6. and then get a notification that a storm is coming...
    7. and then text another friend...
    ...while still listening to their music...

Are they multitasking?

I don't think users care if it was time-slicing, time-sharing, or pure magic.

They just want to be able to do their stuff without skipping a beat.

Is there any current smartphone that can't do this?

- Craig
    Clearly we can't play nice together (OT posts removed)...we're done.

<<Thread Closed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345