Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 97
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Name the other on the market right now.... (and don't say Android - that is no where near the same at this point)
    Aside from Android (which does multi-task).

    1) Blackberry OS
    2) Windows Mobile (up to 6.5)
    3) iPhone (if you jail break).
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    You must have responded while I was editing my post. There is more information there.

    Yes, Android is an example. I would say it actually does a better job at multi-tasking than webOS because of how it deals with memory and background services management. What could be argued is whether webOS has a better UI for managing multiple apps (webOS is prettier IMO). However, I would not go as far as saying one is more "true" than the other. They both do a good job at it and have they differences. webOS forces the user to manage the task's lifecycle manually whereas Android takes more of an auto-management approach.

    Switching between apps is about the same on both platforms until you get above 8 apps. Then the argument changes to whether swiping beyond 8 apps easier than just re-launching the app.

    Personally on both the Pre and the EVO, I tend to just relaunch the app if I have much more than 8 or so open.

    When it comes to task management (other than switching between them), I much prefer Android. On the Pre, I always had to flick away apps that I'm no longer using to avoid the infamous TMC. On my EVO, I simply don't worry about that. I let the OS handle it and that works better for me.

    Again, all this is not to downplay webOS's multi-tasking. I simply take issue with your statement that it is the only one with "true" multi-tasking. It is not.
    Completely agree. Those that state otherwise are just ignorant to the fact of how well Android 2.1 + operates. 1.X perhaps... But 2.1+ does a wonderful job of managing applications and memory. If you investigated this any, you would easily discover it's superiority over webOS in this manner.
  3. Targon's Avatar
    Posts
    502 Posts
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Completely agree. Those that state otherwise are just ignorant to the fact of how well Android 2.1 + operates. 1.X perhaps... But 2.1+ does a wonderful job of managing applications and memory. If you investigated this any, you would easily discover it's superiority over webOS in this manner.
    WebOS 1.4.5 is supposed to fix the TMC problem, or goes a long way to solve that issue. Then again, UberKernel, F102, F104, F105, SR71, and the rest all solve the TMC issue.

    So, if you use UberKernel or any of the other kernels which support 1GHz, how does the Pre and Pre Plus compare?

    1GHz processor we have
    256MB on the Sprint version, 512MB on the Pre Plus. So, those with a Pre Plus also have what all these new devices have.

    16GB of storage is comparable. Some may want more, but it is acceptable when you compare to the latest devices.


    So really, the only thing the Pre Plus does not have that newer phones have is a larger screen, widgets(which I don't see as a big deal, you either like them or you don't care), and an on-screen keyboard for when you are in landscape mode.

    Basically, I don't see that the Pre Plus is really that far below "the competition". WebOS 2 will have enough significant changes where all of the current "issues" will be resolved.


    If anyone wants to laugh about a weak device, they should look at the Blackberry Torch, which has a 625MHz processor(we have 1GHz at this point via overclocking), and in general, the Pre Plus destroys the Torch in just about every way, except perhaps corporate e-mail.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    So really, the only thing the Pre Plus does not have that newer phones have is a larger screen, widgets(which I don't see as a big deal, you either like them or you don't care), and an on-screen keyboard for when you are in landscape mode.
    Widgets: you either like them or you haven't used them before.
    The other thing that the Pre Plus will be missing once you've done all that you say is a warranty.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Aside from Android (which does multi-task).

    1) Blackberry OS
    2) Windows Mobile (up to 6.5)
    3) iPhone (if you jail break).
    Someone's been visiting the wacky weed farm... If you are being serious, I don't even know how to respond... implying that any of those 3 have true multi-tasking is pure misinformation.
  6. TOOLEY's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #66  
    Thank you, I agree.
  7. #67  
    I know we have choices, and some people choose differently. I've never owned an Android, blackberry, or Iphone phone in my life. I choose to stick with one Operating System, and that is WebOS.

    They say don't knock it, until you try it. I say why get rid of something that you know, for another you don't.
    WebOS Rocks!!
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Someone's been visiting the wacky weed farm... If you are being serious, I don't even know how to respond... implying that any of those 3 have true multi-tasking is pure misinformation.
    Wait, why doesn't Android/Blackberry/Windows 6.5 not have true multi-tasking.

    None of them do freeze state like the iPhone.

    WebOS is the most elegant at handling multi-tasking sure, but behind the scene Android multi-tasks the same way as WebOS except it'll start managing memory when the system needs more memory.

    But UI wise, it supports quick switching but even if your app is not on the last 6 accessed apps, it still can be running in the background.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Someone's been visiting the wacky weed farm... If you are being serious, I don't even know how to respond... implying that any of those 3 have true multi-tasking is pure misinformation.
    All three of those operating systems preemptively multitask.
  10. #70  
    They all multitask but not as elegant as WEBOS but android ( which multitask pretty good ) controls the memory also in the background which is important. The problem with webso I had was if I had 2 cards open I got the memory issues , freezes or the dreaded Too Many Cards Open error and had to reboot. WEBOS is way better in theory but combine that with Androids memory control and it would be a match made in heaven. Supposedly thats what Gingerbread will bring to Android and I would assume webos 2.0 would have something to manage memory. thats the key. not much miltitasking you can do when you can open 2 or more cards half the time due to memory issues.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    They all multitask but not as elegant as WEBOS but android ( which multitask pretty good ) controls the memory also in the background which is important. The problem with webso I had was if I had 2 cards open I got the memory issues , freezes or the dreaded Too Many Cards Open error and had to reboot. WEBOS is way better in theory but combine that with Androids memory control and it would be a match made in heaven. Supposedly thats what Gingerbread will bring to Android and I would assume webos 2.0 would have something to manage memory. thats the key. not much miltitasking you can do when you can open 2 or more cards half the time due to memory issues.
    WebOS doesn't "multitask" elegantly at all, as evidence by "Too Many Cards" errors when you have no programs open. While homebrewing and using Uberkernel helps alleviate this, it also causes more random freezes and pauses.

    WebOS does, however, task switch rather elegantly. The problem is that virtually all of its competitors have way, way more tasks (i.e. apps) that you can do along with faster, more responsive OSes, so the advantage is minimized in any sort of real comparison.
  12. #72  
    Thank you! That's why I mentioned earlier that it's like claiming Windows multitasks better than a headless linux install because Windows has the "fancy" Alt+Tab task switcher. After all, form the point of view of a general, non-geek end user, Alt+Tab is much more elegant than issuing Ctrl+z/bg/fg commands. I don't think anyone would agree that Windows' multitasking is somehow "more true" than that of Linux in any situation. Yet some claim that for webOS.
  13. #73  
    When I can switch between tasks on a iPhone 3G faster than my Pre could "multitask" between apps (even when I didn't get TMC...) the advantage is gone.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    When I can switch between tasks on a iPhone 3G faster than my Pre could "multitask" between apps (even when I didn't get TMC...) the advantage is gone.
    I'm pretty sure you just about can with an iPhone 4.


    (i guess speed is really up to how fast your finger moves and OS response time.)



    But honestly, the multi-tasking on iPhone is one more tap than a Pre. You have to double tap the home button vs. taping the gesture area once.

    But other than that you have a more UI friendly multitasking on the Pre with seeing the whole app, but the swiping left and right is pretty much the same on the iPhone, just with icons instead.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Someone's been visiting the wacky weed farm... If you are being serious, I don't even know how to respond... implying that any of those 3 have true multi-tasking is pure misinformation.
    I am not implying they have multi-tasking. I am stating they have multi-tasking with the appropriate caveats for Window Mobile and iPhone. Blackberries and WM have had multitasking since the PalmOS days. For modern Blackberries, all you need to do is hold down the BB key next to the trackpad/ball to bring up a task switcher.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    They all multitask but not as elegant as WEBOS but android ( which multitask pretty good ) controls the memory also in the background which is important. The problem with webso I had was if I had 2 cards open I got the memory issues , freezes or the dreaded Too Many Cards Open error and had to reboot. WEBOS is way better in theory but combine that with Androids memory control and it would be a match made in heaven. Supposedly thats what Gingerbread will bring to Android and I would assume webos 2.0 would have something to manage memory. thats the key. not much miltitasking you can do when you can open 2 or more cards half the time due to memory issues.
    I have never had a TMC type error with any Blackberry. They are hard to avoid on the Pre.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I have never had a TMC type error with any Blackberry. They are hard to avoid on the Pre.
    Not that hard really. Just reboot before launching any app or new url.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Wait, why doesn't Android/Blackberry/Windows 6.5 not have true multi-tasking.

    None of them do freeze state like the iPhone.

    WebOS is the most elegant at handling multi-tasking sure, but behind the scene Android multi-tasks the same way as WebOS except it'll start managing memory when the system needs more memory.

    But UI wise, it supports quick switching but even if your app is not on the last 6 accessed apps, it still can be running in the background.
    BTW... with Froyo... it's been bumped up to 8.
    I believe you can increase that number... but I can't recall if that is only with a custom ROM or on stock. I'd have to look into it again.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Someone's been visiting the wacky weed farm... If you are being serious, I don't even know how to respond... implying that any of those 3 have true multi-tasking is pure misinformation.
    Implying Android did not was even more "pure misinformation", than stating the other three do not (which they do... even if it is not visually elegant and in a somewhat inefficient manner).
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Someone's been visiting the wacky weed farm... If you are being serious, I don't even know how to respond... implying that any of those 3 have true multi-tasking is pure misinformation.
    When the industry provides a definition of this otherwise mythical 'true multitasking' thing, let us know how it fits in with your made up, seemingly incongruous definition. In the meantime, BB, WM, iPhone (jailbroken), and Android all provide multitasking capabilities.

    Are you perhaps confusing task-switching with multitasking?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions