Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 97
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Available to download now? I don't get the point you are trying to make.
    Are you confusing Palm's current Plugin Development Kit (PDK) with what the rest of the industry calls a software development kit (SDK)? You know, the kind of development kit that allows developers full access to the entire device for feature and performance reasons? It's this sort of partial solution that keeps developers like DataViz saying:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dataviz
    We are continuing our efforts to work with Palm to clear the path for a full editing version of Documents To Go. However, given the current environment at Palm, as well as the necessary collaboration with the device manufacturer that is required to bring an app like ours to a platform like webOS, our Documents To Go editor product for webOS is essentially at a standstill.
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by DataViz
    we can only work so hard without help from the manufacturer. Tough to write an robust office suite all in javascript.
    You don't hear complaints like that with iPhone and Android developers. Is it any wonder the Palm app library remains so small compared to iPhone's and Android's? A true SDK is essential for HP, especially if they plan to have a competitive tablet device.
    Last edited by Kupe; 08/14/2010 at 04:22 PM.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    look at the competition trying to go for the true Multitask that Webos Does. Yes there is much more to Webos than Multitasking.
    .
    All though it may not look as nice(or i should say elegant) MANY devices had true multitasking before the Pre/WebOS.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Are you confusing Palm's current Plugin Development Kit (PDK) with what the rest of the industry calls a software development kit (SDK)? You know, the kind of development kit that allows developers full access to the entire device for feature and performance reasons? It's this sort of partial solution that keeps developers like DataViz saying:
    and
    The definition of a software development kit isn't getting full access to a platform. It's a kit to develop software for a platform. Palm has an SDK, mojo. Along now with the PDK, which allows native code.

    I agree Palm should have had the PDK stuff baked into the SDK when they launched it, but it's here now and is working well with great performance.

    Still waiting on the hybrid apps which will be very interesting.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by njbianco View Post
    All though it may not look as nice(or i should say elegant) MANY devices had true multitasking before the Pre/WebOS.
    I don't join in these discussions too often, but this isn't quite correct. There is a difference between "true multitasking" and "multitasking".

    Yes, many other devices have had basic multitasking, but very limited in functionality. WebOS is the first to bring that full functionality to mobile devices. I'm not saying it's perfect yet - nothing is ever 'perfect'. But out of all the OS's out on the market, it is the only one that is actually considered 'true' multitasking. As time moves on, and mobile operating systems evolve, this will become a standard (expected) function of all devices.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    But out of all the OS's out on the market, it is the only one that is actually considered 'true' multitasking.
    It most certainly is not the only one. What webOS has is a prettier way (from a visual point of view) of "managing" multi-tasking. This does NOT make it "truer" than some other OSes.

    Your argument is like saying a command-line only Linux install does not have true multi-tasking because it lacks the pretty "ALT+TAB" you find on Windows.
    Last edited by taharka; 08/15/2010 at 01:35 AM.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    It most certainly is not the only one.
    Name the other on the market right now.... (and don't say Android - that is no where near the same at this point)
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Name the other on the market right now.... (and don't say Android - that is no where near the same at this point)
    You must have responded while I was editing my post. There is more information there.

    Yes, Android is an example. I would say it actually does a better job at multi-tasking than webOS because of how it deals with memory and background services management. What could be argued is whether webOS has a better UI for managing multiple apps (webOS is prettier IMO). However, I would not go as far as saying one is more "true" than the other. They both do a good job at it and have they differences. webOS forces the user to manage the task's lifecycle manually whereas Android takes more of an auto-management approach.

    Switching between apps is about the same on both platforms until you get above 8 apps. Then the argument changes to whether swiping beyond 8 apps easier than just re-launching the app.

    Personally on both the Pre and the EVO, I tend to just relaunch the app if I have much more than 8 or so open.

    When it comes to task management (other than switching between them), I much prefer Android. On the Pre, I always had to flick away apps that I'm no longer using to avoid the infamous TMC. On my EVO, I simply don't worry about that. I let the OS handle it and that works better for me.

    Again, all this is not to downplay webOS's multi-tasking. I simply take issue with your statement that it is the only one with "true" multi-tasking. It is not.
    Last edited by taharka; 08/15/2010 at 02:02 AM.
  8. #48  
    While I don't agree with your argument in the least...I do respect it and I won't debate it. Let's just say that this is the reason there are multiple OS's out on the market. Everyone has different tastes/beliefs. None is better than the other... just different strokes for different folks as they say.
  9. #49  
    Sure, we can agree to disagree. However...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    just different strokes for different folks as they say.
    ^^^^ I completely agree with that.
  10. TOOLEY's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #50  
    It's finally nice to see such individuals come to an agreement, even if it's to be respective of eachothers diffrences.
    This is what I'd like to see more of, instead of this is better than that banter. Thank you Gents. :-)
    Last edited by TOOLEY; 08/15/2010 at 03:45 AM.
  11. #51  
    You have to admit, iOS is such a dull UI. webOS, however undeveloped in comparison to iOS, is much the opposite. what else can I say :-D
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
  12. TOOLEY's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #52  
    thank u
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Editor02 View Post
    You have to admit, iOS is such a dull UI. webOS, however undeveloped in comparison to iOS, is much the opposite. what else can I say :-D
    This is where I disagree.

    iOS while it may be "simpler" is definitely more refined and appealing. Both WebOS and iOS are beautiful to look at but for me personally iOS takes the cake due to its fluidity and simpleness.

    Simple always wins.
  14. TOOLEY's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #54  
    Apples theory, K.I.S.S.

    Keep It Simple Stupid
  15. #55  
    People want simple even if slightly more difficult works better, that's why everyone has windows even though Linux is free
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    Apples theory, K.I.S.S.

    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Exactly - which is apparently the recipe for major sales volume.
  17. TOOLEY's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #57  
    Best sales stratagy, show the device and what the device can do. This is only something now that Palm is getting around to doing, not that its a bad thing.
    It will give Palm n Hp plenty of time to learn about being creative, and that Palms 1st few attempts didnt go so well. But Palm Is LEARNING.

    In my opinion the next new Devices will have Much Better Marketing.

    Theres a Patch for THAT
  18. TOOLEY's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    This is where I disagree.

    iOS while it may be "simpler" is definitely more refined and appealing. Both WebOS and iOS are beautiful to look at but for me personally iOS takes the cake due to its fluidity and simpleness.

    Simple always wins.
    While apple may be more simple (just tap), to me it feels tiring, just about boring.with WEBOS, when im trying the competition i often find myself trying to use the Pres Gestures, its just that natural a feeling to me.
    I played with the iphone 4, n evo, n nexus 1, and ive caught myself doing back swipes far a gesture area when there wasnt one, or trying to throw apps off screen just for nothing to happen.
    These r just my feelings, with the Pre i can be entertained n enjoy moving cards, or just throwing them away, or even reordering the card order, n to me it just feels rewarding.
    Im not just tapping the screen n to me that counts for something.
    Last edited by TOOLEY; 08/16/2010 at 01:01 AM.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    Best sales stratagy, show the device and what the device can do. This is only something now that Palm is getting around to doing, not that its a bad thing.
    It will give Palm n Hp plenty of time to learn about being creative, and that Palms 1st few attempts didnt go so well. But Palm Is LEARNING.
    The Palm entity has been around for 18 years and HP for 75 years. How many more years of learning will they require to 'learn about being creative?'

    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    While apple may be more simple (just tap), to me it feels tiring, just about boring.with WEBOS, when im trying the competition i often find myself trying to use the Pres Gestures, its just that natural a feeling to me.
    I played with the iphone 4, n evo, n nexus 1, and ive caught myself doing back swipes far a gesture area when there wasnt one, or trying to throw apps off screen just for nothing to happen.
    It's called a habit or muscle memory. There's nothing inherently intuitive about either gesture. When the original Pre came out, there was confusion about what the one button below the screen was supposed to to ... because people already had habits (or muscle memory) that told them the button should take them back to the 'Home' screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    These r just my feelings, with the Pre i can be entertained n enjoy moving cards, or just throwing them away, or even reordering the card order, n to me it just feels rewarding.
    Im not just tapping the screen n to me that counts for something.
    Many people who purchase these kinds of phones just want to be productive without an 'entertaining' operating system getting in the way.
  20. TOOLEY's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #60  
    Each company, has to grow n learn. This includes all new employees n sometimes new ideas come up for whatever reason or category.

    About Muscle Memory, each new device requires the ability to learn how to work and become familiar with any new product, unless it's the same product just in a different form (iphone n ipad).
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions