Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 97
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Well, right now Webos hp/Palm is the laughing stock of all the OSes right now and if they don't want to be they need to up their game and compete. I won't defend them sorry, but the truth hurts sometimes and right now Palm is sucking and the polls and the sales show it! There are quite a few members on this site including the editors that own more than one device including myself.
    I'll have to disagree on that one buddy. Other companies wish they have the Operating System Hpalm has right now.

    You should do some more studying before laying out such remark. Webos OS is awesome... ask any Iphone, or Andriod users who aren't bias. Ps. ( I'm referring to The OS )
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    There are quite a few members on this site including the editors that own more than one device including myself.
    And do you badmouth all of them equally?
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    it's fine that these things are available now, however a year ago who dare dream of ownong a phone that's 4.3 inches? Who could have thoughy of running at 1ghz. (something the Pre does well with the help of homebrew, not bad for a 1 year phone , don't you think)?

    Yes there have been improvements in what can be done with hardware, when you compare it to the last few years. It's just that simple to see all 1 has to do is look.
    I agree that technology advances. No one is questioning that. So the fact that a phone today can do things it couldn't last year is fine.

    The problem is when you have a phone that today CAN'T do the things that previous generations could. It's especially frustrating when that difference in lack of functionality is between phones developed by THE SAME COMPANY. I shouldn't have to patch, tweak, brew and possibly void the warranty of my phone to keep up. The work done by the devs (homebrew and internals) is impressive but I simply should not "have" to rely on that for basic functionality.

    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    Throughout it all The Pre n Webos still stand strong
    Ace Ventura: Fiction can be fun, but I find the reference section a little more enlightening.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Other companies wish they have the Operating System Hpalm has right now.
    The real question is how many consumers wish for the same thing.
  5. #25  
    Hmm...will I have 20+ years in the tech industry, served as network admin for 4k+ users at the University of Florida, and provided Build Master developer support for Microsoft's R&D with my signature on many products you use today...so I think I have an idea what's going on.

    As a consultant, I tell my clients time and time again "buy and use what works for you." If that's an iPhone fantastic or Android EVO cool...I could care less as long as the tech works and gets the job done.

    Palm Pre and webOS are not perfect, but then neither is IOS 4 running on 3g iPhones (yikes...I know of 3 personally thay bricked their units with that update). My Pre just happens to work, but please note "with plenty of effort." Same could be said about Android, "dont like it...just patch the unit, remove what doesn't work, and make it what you need."

    Most users can't do that and I'll stick with what's easy - webOS! Sorli...


    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    One needs not work for CNet to feel this way. I had a very similar experience and am also in the tech field. I've converted my immediate family to the Pre on launch day. NOT ONE OF THEM is happy with their Pre at this point in time; nor am I. I also spread the word as much as I could during the first few months until PALM let me down over time. It is not people like us that have dropped the ball, it is PALM! All frustrations should be directed at PALM because they are the ones responsible for their product.

    It is infinitely more helpful for journalists to stick to the truth even if it contradicts what was published and believed to be true in the past.

    True, but what "you know" boils down to what you are willing to learn. Having a closed mind about all that is not webOS makes one the exact "sheep/droid/lemming/etc" towards webOS that so many love to claim users of other OSes are.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    it's fine that people own different devices, but when a person is trying to force it or their opinions onto someone than it can become annoying. Yes Palm hasn't shown it's hand yet for new Hardware n in my opinion that's a great move. We know what apple has n what android has, so when Palm releases the new Hardware I'm sure they will be anything but a laughing stock, n people will see that Palm is a serious contender.

    It's Great that Precentral is open to everyone, I'm just tired of all the Webos Bashing that goes on, and that I am not afriad to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    Talk about nit picking as above some people are just never happy. If those are the features that are important to you, than do ur research, dig around a few sites and find a phone that has most of what you would like. Clearly the Pre or pixi at the moement are not for those snobs who feel they must be spoiled.

    I could easily say that any smartphone needs a 10 Ghz processor, a 100 mp Camera and a battery that Last all year on a single charge. Lets come back tto reality, every OS has it's ups n downs. I suggest for all the cry babies, simply do ur homework ( some actual research for once).
    Hmmm. Practice what you preach much? You were wrong to start this thread with the intention of setting up your own 'personal attack' vehicle. But now that the floodgates are open...
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by scytherfwd View Post
    Tooley - a phone is more than just hardware. Hardware makes up the phone, but the software is what makes the phone.

    Right now, there are 4 -5 competitors in the smart phone market.
    S60 - symbian devices made by nokia
    BBOS - blackberrys
    WebOS - Palm
    iOS - Apple
    Linux - Android

    Now think about this for a few... WebOS is linux based... so anything WebOS can do, android phones have the possibility to do. The latest droid phones destroy the pre+ in hardware specs. Massive add catalog .. possibly half crap or more.
    Your list Omits Windows Mobile, which still sells better than the Palm WebOS devices. Perhaps WebOS should be pulled from your list of 'competitors in the smart phone market' as shown in this Gartner survey from Q2 2010:

  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    Webos is just over 1 1/2 years old, since it's been announced, has open the developer interface n become accessiable in such a simple and friendly manner. Not to mention the opening of the app catalog with Paid apps in less than a year to International users.
    And the iPhone released their full SDK with 9 months of the original iPhone launch. Where is WebOS' SDK a year and 3 months after their flagship phone launch?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    For those who Only care about apps, go have ur Iphones n be happy. Certain phones n yes even Os as fragmented as they may be, may appeal to select end consumers.
    Without apps, a smartphone is just a phone. It would seem to me anyone who had a reason to use a smartphone would care about apps ... a lot. That 'select end consumers' number is a pretty big number, wouldn't you say?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOOLEY View Post
    I myself am perfectly happy with my Sprint Palm Pre and as long as the software updates keep coming I'll comtinue to enjoy my Smartphone. I am not one to just leave for the next big thing that will be for only a few months.
    I believe you when you say this. Does it mean you won't be upgrading to a new WebOS devices when/if one is released or are you just being silly?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Hmmm. Practice what you preach much? You were wrong to start this thread with the intention of setting up your own 'personal attack' vehicle. But now that the floodgates are open...
    WebOS advocacy is an interesting thing. The most vocal users come off like they're united over how much they hate every other platform rather than a genuine love of Palm's platform. It's like someone saying "I eat Lucky Charms because I hate the arrogance of Captain Crunch."
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    WebOS advocacy is an interesting thing. The most vocal users come off like they're united over how much they hate every other platform rather than a genuine love of Palm's platform. It's like someone saying "I eat Lucky Charms because I hate the arrogance of Captain Crunch."
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend ... very middle-eastern.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And the iPhone released their full SDK with 9 months of the original iPhone launch. Where is WebOS' SDK a year and 3 months after their flagship phone launch?
    Available to download now? I don't get the point you are trying to make.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    WebOS advocacy is an interesting thing. The most vocal users come off like they're united over how much they hate every other platform rather than a genuine love of Palm's platform. It's like someone saying "I eat Lucky Charms because I hate the arrogance of Captain Crunch."
    If I remember correctly, earlier last year it was the opposite.. the forums were filled with hate on the Pre on a Pre forum from people who owned other phones. Not really sure why android or iPhone users troll these forums. I think most WebOS advocates don't feel the need to buy a new phone every time 3 or 4 new features are added. This is exactly what the cell phone companies want you to do. Soak the customers for the latest and greatest, make it outdated in 3 months so they buy another phone.. rinse and repeat. It's actually brilliant marketing aimed at impulsive buyers who need the latest technology and willing to pay for it. Just like PC CPU's.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    ...people who bought webOS phones for everyone in their family probably could have made a wiser choice and perhaps would have if they listened a little more to the more tempered expectations for the platform.
    Speaking as someone who has actually done that, I agree with you. The only small difference for me (not making excuses) is that the information available at the time showed the Pre as very promising. I had followed it attentively during the CES-to-Launch period and it really seemed like it would be a good phone. My family was very happy...in the beginning. Then the problems started rolling in, Palm's mistakes started adding up and the replacements, the many, many replacements did not help. In the end, it is an easy fix for me and my family (which is why we took the risk in the first place). Palm, it seems, is paying the bigger price; and rightly so.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I think most WebOS advocates don't feel the need to buy a new phone every time 3 or 4 new features are added. This is exactly what the cell phone companies want you to do. Soak the customers for the latest and greatest, make it outdated in 3 months so they buy another phone.. rinse and repeat. It's actually brilliant marketing aimed at impulsive buyers who need the latest technology and willing to pay for it. Just like PC CPU's.
    Do most consumers really buy phones that often or is it just some of us tech guys? I wonder. I have no proof or surveys to quote on this, but I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of consumers don't purchase smartphones this way. Once a year, maybe. I'll have to dig for some surveys on that to see what the real answer is.

    Also, judging from the cries for new webos hardware, I'd say (at least the tech-types of) webos owners are on par with the rest of the world when it comes to wanting to buy new toys.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Do most consumers really buy phones that often or is it just some of us tech guys? I wonder. I have no proof or surveys to quote on this, but I'd venture to guess that the vast majority of consumers don't purchase smartphones this way. Once a year, maybe. I'll have to dig for some surveys on that to see what the real answer is.
    They really don't. Most non tech people I know upgrade their phone every 2-3 years and they get comfortable with what they know. I finally got my wife to move up from her Centro and she really didn't want to. She was perfectly happy with the Centro. I am glad she waited though because webOS is much better now than it was at the earlier versions.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Criticism of webOS serves a useful purpose around here by balancing the pie-in-the-sky speculation that is a natural part of a forum like this. I love how some here start off with the assumption that "webOS is the best platform out there hands-down and everyone knows it" Of course, that makes everything else that follows usually wrong.

    Despite ample evidence to the contrary, some people around here expect HP to immediately jump in to the high-end smartphone race. It's abundantly clear that HP acquired webOS for the intellectual property so that they wouldn't have to rely on other operating systems to run their mobile devices. That doesn't mean that they want to dump cash into building marketshare in an outrageously crowded smartphone race based on specs. That's not what HP does, in general, and it isn't want Palm was able to do with any success.

    If they didn't think it was worth doing with the iPaq, which was probably #2 when they acqured it, then I doubt they will find much promise in webOS's 2% market share.

    I'm sure that they will come up with a serviceable update to the Pre. Probably something in the "Here, we have a phone to go with that" category - like they did with the iPaq line.

    The fact that almost all of Palm's senior management has left should be a good indication that the roadmap that the company had before the acquisition isn't going to be executed. After all, who wouldn't want to work for a well-funded HP subsidiary that is all geared up to launch awesome cutting edge smartphones? Clearly, HP's Palm isn't Palm, Inc. with HP's cash.

    Everyone has a right to pick whatever smartphone platform interests them, however, people who bought webOS phones for everyone in their family probably could have made a wiser choice and perhaps would have if they listened a little more to the more tempered expectations for the platform.
    That is your opinion and your own speculation, so please stop presenting it as fact. You can choose to look at all of the negatives and assume that HP has no ambitions. However, I choose to listen to people like Phil McKinney and Rahul Sood, both very intelligent and successful people, and base my speculation and opinion around that. At the very least, I will wait to see what HP and Palm come out with next and then re evaluate. Until then I'm stuck with the pre regardless. Most people don't jump from phone to phone on a seemingly daily basis as you would find with a lot of people at A|C.
  17. #37  
    The saga continues... HPalm vs Iphone.
  18. TOOLEY's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #38  
    I ll not be upgrading to a new Palm device until my contract is up, in reality why should I. When I'm content it's just that I am content with whatever a purchase or investment I may have made. For me it's the same about the Nintendo Ds for example, why should I buy every release that they have of a new version, I am able to be patient and if I so choose than perhaps updrade to whatever I feel may be enchances or revolutionary in the same Product. As long as there is software support for the Pre, I'll continue to use it, and I'll be just happy with that.
  19. #39  
    Personally, I am just a gadget geek. If I decide to switch or decide to stay with my Pre, it will have nothing to do with hating Palm or preferring one company over any other. It will have to do with what I can do with the toy of choice!

    I would, however, like to state that I think the whole bashing of other phone platforms is just silly. I honestly get the impression that some of you take it so seriously that you couldn't possibly even be friends with someone that doesn't use the same phone manufacturer or OS as you. And, as I already said, this is just silly.

    And as to phones, okay, so yes, we have to add some homebrew and patches to our WebOS phones to enable certain functionalities. But, in reality, out of the box, how many things were missing from this phone that someone absolutely could not live without? It's all really just a matter of personal preference and what you want. Many people have a ton of patches installed and it has nothing to do with them actually NEEDING anything.

    There is a HUGE difference between NEEDING and WANTING!

    It really doesn't matter what phone anyone picks, either. There will always be, at least, one thing that they want it to do, that is does not, so they will have to make some type of adjustment. This is just the nature of technology.

    You pick the one that comes closest to what you want, then find some method of dealing with the rest.

    If you don't think this is accurate, then I suggest you pop over to the Android or iPhone forums and see how many users over there have had to jailbreak their phones, so they can optimize and customize them to their personal use preferences.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  20. TOOLEY's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
       #40  
    Kupe,
    you say I set this up as my own personal attack vechile you should have known from the Name of the thread that My intent is to defend that of Webos. Responsibility for the responsible.

    For those who don't care for ur current phone, you may remember that on many carriers as far as I'm aware give some time for trial, so if you had accepted the chosen phone or os beyond this period than you should be mature to accept ur purchase.

    I'm not trying to say Webos is Better, just saying it's on par n should be recognized as such.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions