Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Interesting article on an HP Zeen android tablet that is supposed to be coming out next month.
    HP / Zeen = Microsoft / Kin

They'll be lucky if it sells more than 1000 units. But maybe there will be Zeen (app) integration in future equivalent webOS products?
    Here's a more detailed article from a couple of weeks ago that described the Zeen's features ... which are limited and anemic.
    What this really shows is how unique a CEO Steve Jobs really is. He has boasted that one of Apple's best qualities is the ability to say NO to projects. They know what they want to do, and ignore distractions, even if they have poured a lot of time and money into R&D. HP seems to be just like every other big company that is throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. Where's the vision? It is starting to look like WebOS is just another thing for them to throw against the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Once you have semi-autonomous divisions as in most large companies then you will have divergent strategies. It's amazing to me how much patience Apple had with the tablet concept before they actually launched one. It's no wonder why it's a game-changer. The Zeen isn't going to change anything.
    UG, I am applying simple math to a bit of your post. Once you ADD divergence, you simultaneously SUBTRACT strategy. "Divergent strategies" is a bit oxymoronic. Divergent Strategies is the way MS does business. We see how well that is working out for their mobil endeavors. I contend that HP is just like that, and the Zeen is just further proof of it.

I have long suspected that this is why so many Palm folks decided to walk away. They did not want to be just another play thing for a big, unfocused corporation to toss against a wall and get lost in the mix with everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I have long suspected that this is why so many Palm folks decided to walk away. They did not want to be just another play thing for a big, unfocused corporation to toss against a wall and get lost in the mix with everything else.
    It also doesn't help when the corporate culture at HP has flogged morale down to the point where over 2/3 of their employees would leave the company if offered a job elsewhere for the same pay.

HP Phenomenon: Holy mackerel
    The Zeen is coming, and it's less impressive than anyone imagined. These are the same people everyone thinks will produce a killer webOS pad. Good luck.
    Oh shi, HP is gonna sell an unimpressive product? Better sell my Pre right now - the world is ending and I can only survive it on Apple/Google!

Because Apple never sold any products that didn't have any success, like the Newton, Pippin or Apple TV (before they started giving them away because nobody wanted the old ones).
    Similarly, Google, who is definitely in the service business more strongly than the tangible product business, has Orkut, Google Wave, Google Video... Better buy a Nokia lest you're associated with those failures!
    When there's "KIN" in the topic of the the thread it makes my genitals shrink.
    My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Oh shi, HP is gonna sell an unimpressive product? Better sell my Pre right now - the world is ending and I can only survive it on Apple/Google!
    Sure, A and G have had failures in the past in other areas. But you know what they have both been pretty good at? Phones! In Apple's case, they have also been OK at TABLETS!

HP is trying to make good in the phone and tablet arena. It is their performance in those areas that are relevant. It is perfectly reasonable to look at how they have done in those areas. Guess what? They have royally sucked over the course of their history of making and selling these products.

Nevermind history; what about now? The Zeen shows what they are doing in the here and now. The fact that it looks like just another poorly thought out crap gadget speaks poorly about any other gadgets of that nature still in the works. Now, if we were talking about cheap netbooks, there might be reason to have high expectations. But we're not. We are talking about upcoming pads and phones.
    Google makes no phones, it makes an OS that it gives away for free, and very surprisingly, manufacturers have been taking them up on the gift.

That said, Zeen shows what HP has been doing about a year ago, maybe longer. Developing two products like the zeen/zeus takes some more time than you give it credit for. When HP bought webOS, the combo was already pretty much done, if not quite ready for market. Now it is, so they're selling it instead of burning everything - it's a chance to recuperate some funds spent during development.

At the same time, it does show that HP were thinking about Tablets about as early on as Apple, but they had to go with a subpar tablet OS like Android because they had no solution of their own. But oh, hello webOS! The frameworks and structures are all there.

Don't buy a zeen - (almost) nobody will. I absolutely won't. Android just isn't made for tablets... yet. But I can totally see a zeen app coming for the Palmpad. But of course nobody'll want to buy that because HP is a loser company made of suck and failure. I know, you don't have to tell me.
    First, since they didn't have the software to do oi right, the shouldn't have made it at all. It shows that they had no compelling reason to make the product. That mentality hasn't changed.

Second, when it comes to phones and tablets, hp is full of suck. If they wanted a fresh start, and if they were as big and smart as everyone around here seems to think they are, then someone should have had the good sence to cancel the project.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 09/13/2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: typeo
    Hello, first and last Android tablet from HP. (man is it satisfying to say that)

So this is the prototype, more like to test the waters of the market. Once they get the webOS version ready, they'll know how to perfect it.
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    So this is the prototype, more like to test the waters of the market. Once they get the webOS version ready, they'll know how to perfect it.
    Let me see, they have been failing at Windows tablets for ages. Their first (and last) Android tablet is a laughable debacle, even before it hits the shelves. But their first webOS tablet will be perfected? Really?

I can't wait to see what they come up with. But my expectations are low. It is not like they have thrown out all the idiots who put together the Zeen, or who thought it was a great idea. The Zeen is a good example of how HP is thinking about tablets. It's awful.

Putting webOS on this thing instead of Android would not make it better. It is a useless device from start to finish. If they had purchased webOS sooner, we would be laughing at the webOS powered Zeen. So far, I have seen nothing that shows me that HP gets this market.
    And now you know companies will begin using Android to direct our Internet experience.

You search out a price on something (on Zeen) and HP's store and pricing are going to be what come up, conveniently leaving out all their competitors. No Gmail (presumably to keep Google from their database).

And whatever the hell else they don't want you to see using their "open" software.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let me see, they have been failing at Windows tablets for ages. Their first (and last) Android tablet is a laughable debacle, even before it hits the shelves. But their first webOS tablet will be perfected? Really?

I can't wait to see what they come up with. But my expectations are low. It is not like they have thrown out all the idiots who put together the Zeen, or who thought it was a great idea. The Zeen is a good example of how HP is thinking about tablets. It's awful.

Putting webOS on this thing instead of Android would not make it better. It is a useless device from start to finish. If they had purchased webOS sooner, we would be laughing at the webOS powered Zeen. So far, I have seen nothing that shows me that HP gets this market.
    I think the Zeen is as stupid an idea as one could conceive, but I don't think it really has anything to do with what a WebOS tablet would do. I don't think the two products really have much of anything to do with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think the Zeen is as stupid an idea as one could conceive, but I don't think it really has anything to do with what a WebOS tablet would do. I don't think the two products really have much of anything to do with each other.
    I hope you're right. But it does make me wonder what they were thinking when they came up with this thing. it is not the type of effort that inspires confidence in their next project.
    It's relevant in that it shows that HP is not averse to selling their customers a product that is a dumb idea and badly implemented.
    As opposed to every iteration of Apple TV thus far? Every company releases dud products at some point or another. Clearly, their percentage of hits-to-misses is pretty high in the hits column. This is a "printstation" first, and a tablet - as we think of it with iPad or Galaxy Tab - SECOND. It was debuted at a photo conference, not CES. The guy presenting it to Engadget calls it an interface for the printer.

You would think that they would be wary of putting the HP name on a lame tablet when they have other ones coming soon. I'm thinking that the features of this tablet will ensure that someone at the office won't walk away with it.
    Again, I don't consider this a tablet, strictly speaking. It's like calling a new Vizio TV a giant iPad because it runs "apps". They're simply leveraging what they do well (printers) to try and make a differentiated product. That's not a bad idea. Implementing it like this, however, is a horrible idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    As opposed to every iteration of Apple TV thus far? Every company releases dud products at some point or another. Clearly, their percentage of hits-to-misses is pretty high in the hits column. This is a "printstation" first, and a tablet - as we think of it with iPad or Galaxy Tab - SECOND. It was debuted at a photo conference, not CES. The guy presenting it to Engadget calls it an interface for the printer.

Again, I don't consider this a tablet, strictly speaking. It's like calling a new Vizio TV a giant iPad because it runs "apps". They're simply leveraging what they do well (printers) to try and make a differentiated product. That's not a bad idea. Implementing it like this, however, is a horrible idea.
    Didn't HP say that they plan to incorporate webOS into a whole lot of their product lines? Including printers? I wonder what they would do differently that the Zeen with webOS?
    Look at the video of it from Engadget, though. The demo is of Yahoo, news, weather, Facebook, sports, stocks, RSS, Barnes and Noble books, email, calendar. Clearly, their intention is for the user to use this as some kind of awkward tablet. Why anyone would want to torture themselves by trying to use this as a tablet, though, is beyond me. The interface looks like an Archos media player.
    I thought I read somewhere that the intent was to allow access to those things so that you can print them.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast