Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Excellent! So fans of other operating systems can heart, secure in the knowledge that if an OS is basically good, then has the backing of a company with deep pockets, it can callenge, and surpass, the leader in less than two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Excellent! So fans of other operating systems can heart, secure in the knowledge that if an OS is basically good, then has the backing of a company with deep pockets, it can callenge, and surpass, the leader in less than two years.
    Anything can happen.

Android has strengths no other platform entirely has right now:

1) Dedicated backing from the largest domestic carrier
    2) Options on all four carriers in several form factors and price points
    3) A mature SDK
    4) The best non-Apple manufacturers all making Android handsets
    5) It's free, and most of the apps are too.
    6) It's on state of-the-art hardware
    7) It's part of a comprehensive multi-platform strategy encompassing browsers, search engines, navigation, and tablets/slates
    8) It's been successfully marketed so people understand its strengths

HP and Palm have...#7. I hope to see them fill in some of the rest and add a few points with the Q1 2011 relaunch of WebOS.
    makes me sick how far android is up verizons ***... Can't walk into a verizon store without one of their reps trying to sell you a droid.
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    makes me sick how far android is up verizons ***... Can't walk into a verizon store without one of their reps trying to sell you a droid.
    That's what any company do when they have something new. When you go to any restaurant. Do they not ask you do you want the newest thing that they have. Well that's how cell phone companies work to.

When the Pre came out for sprint, you couldn't walk into any sprint store without one of the reps trying to sell you a Pre. They sell whats new and hot on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Anything can happen.

Android has strengths no other platform entirely has right now:

1) Dedicated backing from the largest domestic carrier
    2) Options on all four carriers in several form factors and price points
    3) A mature SDK
    4) The best non-Apple manufacturers all making Android handsets
    5) It's free, and most of the apps are too.
    6) It's on state of-the-art hardware
    7) It's part of a comprehensive multi-platform strategy encompassing browsers, search engines, navigation, and tablets/slates
    8) It's been successfully marketed so people understand its strengths

HP and Palm have...#7. I hope to see them fill in some of the rest and add a few points with the Q1 2011 relaunch of WebOS.
    With the exception of the carrier related stuff, pretty much all of the same points can be made about Linux in general. Linux eventually suffered under one of the same stress points Android is beginning to see - fragmentation because of a lack of one "central control".

Have you seen an announcement of Q1 2011 "relaunch of WebOS"? I haven't. As a matter of fact, I seem to remember HP/Palm saing WebOS 2.0 will be out this year.

We shall see...
    The Androiid army matches on!
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I wonder who is making the most money in this business. My bet it is Apple who is laughing all the way to the bank so probably do not care.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I wonder who is making the most money in this business. My bet it is Apple who is laughing all the way to the bank so probably do not care.
    You probably right
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Android is just giving the users what the want.

Droid 2 boasts to have flash out of the box.. (just google droid 2 and flash)

Cannot wait to see what palm has instore.
    Well hopefully the next webOS handset will surpass android. Hope!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    With the exception of the carrier related stuff, pretty much all of the same points can be made about Linux in general. Linux eventually suffered under one of the same stress points Android is beginning to see - fragmentation because of a lack of one "central control".
    "Beginning to see"? I think you mean beginning to wane. Android surveys show that a majority of handsets are now on 2.1 or higher - way up from even two months ago. Froyo updates are coming fast and furious. 1 ghz processors and 800x400 resolution is pretty standard. There will always be odd ducks like the LG Ally or Samsung Intercept, but those are for budget conscious buyers who aren't looking to keep up with the latest and greatest anyway.

Google's next iteration will make new components downloadable from the market and reduce the need for custom skins. They released the Nexus One and are working to get handsets updated to Froyo much faster than it took to get 1.5/1.6 handsets to 2.1.

Have you seen an announcement of Q1 2011 "relaunch of WebOS"? I haven't. As a matter of fact, I seem to remember HP/Palm saing WebOS 2.0 will be out this year.

We shall see...
    I saw an announcement of a tablet, and I can only assume that is when WebOS will truly be relaunched. The features thus far discussed for 2.0 are hardly game changers. Speeding up a slow UI? More APIs available to developers? Easier web app porting? Doesn't exactly scream "new" to customers.

Of course, there could be plenty of surprises, but I'm going on the information we have, not the information we'd like to hear. If I'm wrong, so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Yeah they make the most of their platform currently. iPhone devs also make more money in general.
    One wonders what the numbers would be if Apple wasn't having manufacturing issues. They can't keep up with demand on top of having issues properly manufacturing the white version which many (including myself) are waiting on.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    One wonders what the numbers would be if Apple wasn't having manufacturing issues. They can't keep up with demand on top of having issues properly manufacturing the white version which many (including myself) are waiting on.
    I believe HTC and MOTOROLA had the same issues on Sprint and Verizon networks they didnt have enough phones to go around. I waited close to 3 weeks for EVO for my wife.
    I have owned a phone that ran android, had a sidekick before it, and let me tell you, never been more aggervated with a phone, apps always force closing, needing to powercycle my phone 2x a day, factory reset at least once a month. I had enough. No I never mod-ed it, or used ANY 3rd party software. Now, I have my Palm, and completely satisfied and then some. Very impressed with this phone!
    Last edited by shmutt1980; 08/13/2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shmutt1980 View Post
    I have owned a phone that ran android, had a sidekick before it, and let me tell you, never been more aggervated with a phone, apps always force closing, needing to powercycle my phone 2x a day, factory reset at least once a month. I had enough. No I never mod-ed it, or used ANY 3rp party software. Now, I have my Palm, and completely satisfied and then some. Very impressed with this phone!
    You must have had an android 1.0 device, because that just doesn't make any sense.
    no, it was the mytouch 3g 3.5mm jack
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The volume lead for Android devices is almost certainly going to be permanent. The platform has multiple manufacturers and and literally dozens of handsets with even more coming every week. HP chose not to go this route because they didn't want to get involved in making generic Android smartphones and tablets.
    is this survery comparing the iphone(1 phone) against all the android phones? is that fair?
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mksand28 View Post
    is this survery comparing the iphone(1 phone) against all the android phones? is that fair?
    Considering Apple has the "choice" and funds to produce more than one phone, why wouldn't it be fair? Apple's not fretting over the market share, they can easily play second fiddle (but they most likely don't want to) and still rake in more cash than Android as a whole.

The same goes for their computer line up, they sale less but make more than the average computer manufacture.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast