Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mksand28 View Post
    is this survery comparing the iphone(1 phone) against all the android phones? is that fair?
    There are 2 iphone models currently on sale.
    Just wait until Gingerbread is released. Rumor is that it will end fragmentation!
  3.    #23  
    is this survery comparing the iphone(1 phone) against all the android phones? is that fair?
    Is it unfair for Apple to only have one phone?

But yes, the numbers aren't really a fair comparison.
    Android selling so many millions of phones at $0 with contract isn't a fair comparison to iPhone sells.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 08/13/2010 at 05:05 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The volume lead for Android devices is almost certainly going to be permanent. The platform has multiple manufacturers and and literally dozens of handsets with even more coming every week. HP chose not to go this route because they didn't want to get involved in making generic Android smartphones and tablets.
    Exactly. The only reason Android is in the lead is because the market was flooded with handsets. If you have 10 handsets compared to 1 it seems kinda a no brainer. Oh, after I read the article, it looks like that doesn't include the iPhone 4. Lol.
    Last edited by Weaser999; 08/13/2010 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Just wait until Gingerbread is released. Rumor is that it will end fragmentation!
    From what I have read... I don't think it will. I believe devices that meet some type of general minimum spec level will be upgraded to 3.X (Gingerbread). That's rumored to be the 1GHz~ area. At least that's what I got from a couple of articles regarding it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The only reason Android is in the lead is because the market was flooded with handsets. If you have 10 handsets compared to 1 it seems kinda a no brainer.
    Just asking here, but how many devices did Palm have out when a single iPhone surpassed them?
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I don't think anything will "end fragmentation". It may help to reduce it for future phones, but I'm guessing it won't end it.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Just asking here, but how many devices did Palm have out when a single iPhone surpassed them?
    I'm going to guess 6. When the iPhone came out (June 2007), The following Palm devices could be purchased in the US (there were also unique, overseas versions too):

Centro
    Treo 755P
    Treo 750V
    Treo 680
    Treo 700wx
    Treo 700p

And (ha ha) no OS fragmentation. All the PalmOS versions had the same old Garnet version (PalmOS 5) the Treo 600 had back in 2003. The Windows Mobile versions were all on WM6.

After the iPhone came out, Palm answered with the Treo 800 and the Treo Pro, for a total of 8 Palm phones versus the first generation iPhone.
    Of course it's "fair". It is the manufacturer of the iPhone that is restricting the number of devices on which the OS can be installed. While I understand their reasoning, it's their choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'm going to guess 6. When the iPhone came out (June 2007), The following Palm devices could be purchased in the US (there were also unique, overseas versions too):

Centro
    Treo 755P
    Treo 750V
    Treo 680
    Treo 700wx
    Treo 700p

And (ha ha) no OS fragmentation. All the PalmOS versions had the same old Garnet version (PalmOS 5) the Treo 600 had back in 2003. The Windows Mobile versions were all on WM6.

After the iPhone came out, Palm answered with the Treo 800 and the Treo Pro, for a total of 8 Palm phones versus the first generation iPhone.
    I may be wrong but I think he is referring to the:
    Palm Pre - Sprint
    Palm Pre Plus - Verizon
    Palm Pre Plus - AT&T
    Palm Pixi - Sprint
    Palm Pixi Plus - Verizon
    Palm Pixi Plus - AT&T (right?)

and the iPhone 4 launch basically outselling all WebOS products in one weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    I may be wrong but I think he is referring to the:
    Palm Pre - Sprint
    Palm Pre Plus - Verizon
    Palm Pre Plus - AT&T
    Palm Pixi - Sprint
    Palm Pixi Plus - Verizon
    Palm Pixi Plus - AT&T (right?)

and the iPhone 4 launch basically outselling all WebOS products in one weekend.
    Could be, but to be precise, taharka asked, "Just asking here, but how many devices did Palm have out when a single iPhone surpassed them?" My answer seems more correct. Palm was ahead of Apple for at least a few days ( ) before the first generation iPhone 'surpassed' them. It was around the time of my favorite Ed Colligan quote about the possibility of an Apple phone: "We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in."

Two years later, when the Pre showed up, the iPhone had surpassed all Palm phones by millions and millions long before that. But maybe taharka's original post was imprecise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Could be, but to be precise, taharka asked, "Just asking here, but how many devices did Palm have out when a single iPhone surpassed them?" My answer seems more correct. Palm was ahead of Apple for at least a few days ( ) before the first generation iPhone 'surpassed' them. It was around the time of my favorite Ed Colligan quote about the possibility of an Apple phone: "We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in."

Two years later, when the Pre showed up, the iPhone had surpassed all Palm phones by millions and millions long before that. But maybe taharka's original post was imprecise.
    You are correct. I was asking about pre-iphone devices. Palm didn't have anything to surpass by the time the Pre and webOS came into the picture.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12