Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Still I ask,
    "What have you found that takes more steps to do in Android than in webOS?"
    Uninstalling apps and finding app versions in webOS is a bit faster I think. I know there are apps that help ("shake to uninstall" for example), but stock webOS with orange+tap or patched webOS with gesture+tap is pretty fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I didn't say that, because I don't know how many steps it takes on Android (since I don't use one).
    I was basing my simple math on Milo's report one post before yours - I believe it was the one you quoted.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Not fair to count the sliding-out-the-keyboard step unless we are talking about having the phone already on and unlocked. From the off position (assuming no passwords/passcodes have been installed) I find it much easier to turn on the Pre using the slide-out-the-keyboard approach. It's easier than using the power button on both the Pre and the EVO. However, it's the same number of steps so it's a wash when counting the number of taps/gestures to do a task.
    I was responding to Milo's example in post #74 which presumed the phone was already on, since he was looking at screens and switching between programs, but since there was no typing going on at the the beginning of his scenario, I presumed the Pre had its keyboard retracted since there was no logical reason to have it extended. But you're right, if you always have your keyboard extended whenever your screen is on, it's a wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I was basing my simple math on Milo's report one post before yours - I believe it was the one you quoted.
    I understood what you did, but as I stated before, I didn't say that. You may think that's "the math", but it really isn't. Yes, it takes "more steps" in the examples shown, as they are shown.

As was mentioned, the step to open the keyboard can reasonably be ignored, since opening the keyboard turns on the screen, and the Android screen also has to be turned on (I know, I know, it may already be on, and my Pre typically has the keyboard open, so to me, it's a wash).

Also, if one wanted to use the pre as in the example that was given, the user could apply the setting (not a patch, it's a built in setting) for advance gestures. Then, there's no tapping the button to minimize music, or tapping the button to maximize messaging. Just swipe to get to the program. That eliminates two steps.

And, as the OP mentioned, if the Music app is next to the Messenger app, it's one swipe.

As I said, you can rig scenarios like this ad nauseum. That was never the point.

I'll try to bring us back around to the original discussion (which had nothing to do with the Pre's UI, or a comparison between the two).

The question was whether having a solid reliable voice command system makes "the UI is clunky" comments irrelevant.

I would say that no matter how good a voice command system is, it will never completely replace a visual/touch UI, and thus that visual/touch UI needs to be not clunky (as much as possible).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I was responding to Milo's example in post #74 which presumed the phone was already on, since he was looking at screens and switching between programs, but since there was no typing going on at the the beginning of his scenario, I presumed the Pre had its keyboard retracted since there was no logical reason to have it extended. But you're right, if you always have your keyboard extended whenever your screen is on, it's a wash.
    Why are you assuming there would be "no logical reason to have it extended"? Just about the only time my keyboard isn't extended is when I'm not using the Pre. Most of the programs I use need a keyboard. I seldom use the launcher, thus I need the keyboard to type in the first few letters of my programs, users, web addresses, whatever. Even when I play Glyder2, I leave it open because it makes the Pre easier for my big clunkly hands to hold.

When I'm not using it, and it's in my pocket, the keyboard is closed. About 50% of the time that it's on the charger (during the day) the keyboard is closed. It's also closed at night when it's charging (I don't use it much when I'm sleeping.)
    I do not like Voice Command.
    I would not use it on a train.
    I would not, could not on a plane.
    I should not use it in a rush.
    I sure won't use it on a bus.
    Yes I may be a tazzmo man, but I do not like Voice Command.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That's what apple fans said about multi-tasking...until they got a version of it. I wonder how diffetent this thread would be if it were about Voice Command for webOS.
    I was just joshin...

I certainly think the feature is grand.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why are you assuming there would be "no logical reason to have it extended"? Just about the only time my keyboard isn't extended is when I'm not using the Pre. Most of the programs I use need a keyboard. I seldom use the launcher, thus I need the keyboard to type in the first few letters of my programs, users, web addresses, whatever. Even when I play Glyder2, I leave it open because it makes the Pre easier for my big clunkly hands to hold.

When I'm not using it, and it's in my pocket, the keyboard is closed. About 50% of the time that it's on the charger (during the day) the keyboard is closed. It's also closed at night when it's charging (I don't use it much when I'm sleeping.)
    No worries. If you use your phone with the keyboard extended all of the time then you obviously have a 'logical reason" to do so. When I used my Pre, I liked the small size of the device with the keyboard retracted unless I had to type something which was my "logical reason."
    Ha ha - excellent. That's how I felt about voice command too.

Now if the Android version can be used through a BT headset or through the phone earpiece (instead of the phone speaker), it might be more useful in more places, like:

On a train.
    On a plane.
    In a rush.
    On a bus.
    Nice..
    Uninstalling apps and finding app versions in webOS is a bit faster I think. I know there are apps that help ("shake to uninstall" for example), but stock webOS with orange+tap or patched webOS with gesture+tap is pretty fast.
    Thanks! I agree.

Uninstalling an app from webOS is as simple as press and hold the orange key and tap on the app and then tap delete.

In Android it is clunky to go to the Marketplace app to delete an app. Actually I use AppBrain because it is faster. This is an issue because out of the 800 or so new Android apps a day, I do try out a few.

So far for Android Clunkiness we have:
    1. None of the 25+ Android Music Players are as easy as Music Play (Remix)
    2. Removing an Android App requires going into the Marketplace app.

Is there anything else about Android that is clunky?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/16/2010 at 11:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    MS voice command did this in 2004 on windows mobile. Thanks for catching up Google.
    I was just going back through this thread and saw this.

Great point. My Treo 650 (made by HTC) had an excellent Speech Recognition app. My 600 had a decent Speech Recognition app but not as integrated.

Here it is 2010 and Android has finally beaten a Treo feature from 2004.

Many Homebrew patches just give us back basic functionality we had in our old Treo's. The music player that came with my Treo 600 is worlds better than today's webOS music player.

Here are details on 31 of our most important patches that could be added almost as-is to webOS:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ssing-pre.html

They are just missing basic features. There are 20 more of the most popular patches need to be options.

How could so many great features from our old Treo's have gotten so lost?

Imagine if webOS had the features our Treo's had in 2004.

Imagine if Palm added just 50 of the best Homebrew patches to webOS.

- Craig
    On vanilla android, all you have to do is go in the the app drawer and drag it to the trashcan and it will say drop to uninstall, drop it and and click OK and it's uninstalled.
    Thanks! I agree.

Uninstalling an app from webOS is as simple as press and hold the orange key and tap on the app and then tap delete.

In Android it is clunky to go to the Marketplace app to delete an app. Actually I use AppBrain because it is faster. This is an issue because out of the 800 or so new Android apps a day, I do try out a few.

- Craig
    If you have Vanilla Android you don't have to go to the market to uninstall.

- Craig
    Question: How is comparing 3rd party music players part of this list? I would understand if you compared the stock music players of each platform. But underdeveloped 3rd party apps do not necessarily mean the platform they were developed for is clunky. If that's the case, one could call webOS clunky for it's less than elegant google maps app.

Anyway, to add to the list...
    - Checking app versions (something I tend to do when I'm deciding if I should update). It's the same dead-simple orange+tap on webOS.
    - Pre-Froyo, updating apps had to be done one at a time. For those of us with Froyo however, apps can auto-update (very ).
    Thanks! I agree.

- Craig

There's app removing programs such as AppRemover, that does this extremely easily. Appremover - Select App - Press OK to uninstall.

I also found it hilarious for a mod to fan boy ishly try to prove a point about Android being clunky by comparing music players. LOL

Voice functions > no voice functions. Of course, this board would act like Apple zealots if somehow the Pre had voice functions, like Palm is the second coming of Jesus.

Also, the reason why Android doesn't function exactly like WebOS, one word: PATENTS.
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 08/16/2010 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    On vanilla android, all you have to do is go in the the app drawer and drag it to the trashcan and it will say drop to uninstall, drop it and and click OK and it's uninstalled.
    [EDIT] OK, that is as simple as webOS. webOS would be Launcher > Orange hold and tap app

Question: How is comparing 3rd party music players part of this list? I would understand if you compared the stock music players of each platform. But underdeveloped 3rd party apps do not necessarily mean the platform they were developed for is clunky. If that's the case, one could call webOS clunky for it's less than elegant Google maps app.

Anyway, to add to the list...
    - Checking app versions (something I tend to do when I'm deciding if I should update). It's the same dead-simple orange+tap on webOS.
    - Pre-Froyo, updating apps had to be done one at a time. For those of us with Froyo however, apps can auto-update (very ).
    Fair enough. Remove the Music player comparison.

As to checking for app versions, Android gives pop-up notifications within a few hours after app update. Click to install it, ignore it, or permanently ignore it. That's easier than manually checking apps or going to the App Catalog and running the update check.

As to updating apps, AppBrain allows anyone to update multiple apps at one time.

[EDIT] So at this point we have found no clunky things about Android

What is easier to do in webOS than Android?

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/16/2010 at 07:26 PM.
    I installed the application/update on my Evo, ran it for a few hours and I totally agree with you. Not worth its inaccuracy. I stick to the old one and on occasion use it.

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I installed the application/update on my Evo, ran it for a few hours and I totally agree with you. Not worth its inaccuracy. I stick to the old one and on occasion use it.
    You are saying that the new version of Voice Search (with Voice Actions) is not as accurate as the old version? So you went back to the old version?

Wow. I don't know anyone saying that on any forum or in any blog.

If nothing else the new Voice Search correctly capitalizes and the old version did not even try to capitalize.

Do you know of anyone else, anywhere saying that the new Voice Search is less accurate?

- Craig
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast