Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    So much has gone back and forth, cocentrating on the usability of voice commands (or lack of same) that the premise of the OP (and the title) is being ignored.

• Is voice recognition a good apsect to a device? - Without a doubt.
    • Could it revolutionize the way users input information into a device? - Possibly (but I really don't think so).
    • Is it going to make the UI obsolete, or even irrelevant (which is what the title seems to imply). Nope, not going to happen.

We are visual animals. How something "looks" is important to use. Thus we like goofy good looking girls over intelligent plan girls. Or, to draw a more relevant analogy, we preferred (as a group) the original "pretty" Apple iPhone over the (at the time) more powerful Treos and Blackberries.

We are also very much creatures of "touch". That's why so many users express ... satisfaction ... when closing apps on WebOS. Face it, it's really not much more difficult to select Menu then Close than it is is to minimize (by touch), then flick it away, yet most people prefer the latter.

Complete voice-controlled computers were very popular in science fiction years ago. Remember Star Trek? - they even made fun in one of the movies, where Scottie picked up a mouse and talked into it. Yet Paycheck and Minority Report blew everyone's mind with the characters "moving stuff around" in virtual 3D. (See this to get an idea of what I'm talking about ).

Notice that both types of user interface are increasingly possible, but which one really has the "wow" factor?

Now, I don't think either one is going to be completely usable soon (though "soon" is very much a relative term these days), but the notion that voice input is going to render the visual aspects of a UI "irrelevant" - sorry, not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Notice that both types of user interface are increasingly possible, but which one really has the "wow" factor?
    Can you imagine doing that for an hour? What about for 3 minutes while driving down the express way? What about when needing to make a call while riding your bike? I have an EVO and a BlueAnt S4. In the car, I don't even remove my phone from my belt clip. On my bike rides, my phone stays in my hydration back pack.

Look, gestures in all of the major mobile OSes are fantastic. There is no question about it. What is wrong with ADDING to that mix with voice commands that actually work?

When I'm at my desk, I tend to use gestures. At other times, I tend to use voice commands.

Also, there are times when either approach is not practical. Remember what happened in Minority Report when he "forgot" he was using gestures for a second?
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Look, gestures in all of the major mobile OSes are fantastic. There is no question about it. What is wrong with ADDING to that mix with voice commands that actually work?
    No arguement from me, I'd love to see both. I've stated several times that I miss my voice activated dialing on my Treo. It was the only way I could dial while riding my GoldWing.

However, I don't think voice activation is going to make "UI is clunky" comments irrelevant, which is what the OP posed.

Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Also, there are times when either approach is not practical. Remember what happened in Minority Report when he "forgot" he was using gestures for a second?
    Actually, I don't, (I'm getting old, memory fades sometimes); but I'm smiling thinking of what it would have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    To Ryley and Peterlemonjello:

I felt the same way you did about voice controls (beyond dialing) and "never getting it right."

I use an iphone (and thus won't be able to use these impressive features....) but using Dragon Dictation (free app in the App Store) for simple voice-to-text translation has totally changed my opinion. I use it for text messaging the majority of the time over typing - I can't wait til its integrated INTO test messaging. I also use it for composing emails when I am in the car or using my mobile.

Other than obscure names or jargon, I am blown away by how accurate it is. Sure, I need to speak clearly and slowly, and know their shortcuts for formatting, but you learn quickly how to best make it perform and after that, its indispensable. I don't even mind speaking short messages into it in public! (long ones, not so much....)

Voice recognition has definitely changed.
    I have Dragon Dictation on my iPad and it works well, but again I don't like to speak aloud everything I am doing.

And I don't like talking on my phone in public unless I have to. I think it is kind of rude.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Actually, I don't, (I'm getting old, memory fades sometimes); but I'm smiling thinking of what it would have been.
    Someone was talking to Tom Cruise and extended his hand to shake it. As a normal response, Tom went to shake his had and in doing so swiped what he was working on into the trash. :-)
    If the Pre (or any webOS device) gets voice I would use it from time to time, especially when driving I guess, but it needs to "understad the words coming out of my mouth" (LOL) or I'll trow it out the window (and than realize how dumb that was ).
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    If the Pre (or any webOS device) gets voice I would use it from time to time, especially when driving I guess, but it needs to "understad the words coming out of my mouth" (LOL) or I'll trow it out the window (and than realize how dumb that was ).
    When I was looking at voice dialing programs for my Treo, there were two that I really liked. One was "automatic". You installed it, said any name in your contact list (I had about 200 at the time), and it called the user. It worked. Kind of. Of course, most of the people I needed to call had the same last name as I. To add to the grief, my daughters all started with some sort of K (except my stepdaughter).

I tried another, more expensive program. I had to "train" it, basically record my voice command for each number I wanted to call. I soon discovered that there were only about 25 that I really needed. Yes, it was a pain to set up those 25, but even going down the highway at 55 plus (I won't say how much plus), talking into a microphone on a motorcycle, it worked flawlessly.

Guess which one I liked better.

Yes, accuracy is important. If you can't count on it, it's not really usable.
    You right hparsons, I'm with you, I had something similar on a couple Motorola handsets before, they worked great most of the time I should say, but they still gave me a headache sometimes.

Now let's hear the truth, 90mph?
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
  9.    #49  
    So much has gone back and forth, cocentrating on the usability of voice commands (or lack of same) that the premise of the OP (and the title) is being ignored.

• Is voice recognition a good apsect to a device? - Without a doubt.
    • Could it revolutionize the way users input information into a device? - Possibly (but I really don't think so).
    • Is it going to make the UI obsolete, or even irrelevant (which is what the title seems to imply). Nope, not going to happen.
    My premise was not that this would make the UI itself irrelevant. My premise is that people in this forum have often criticized Android for being clunky and for it taking to many button presses or whatever to switch between apps.

In my opinion, this almost obviates those charges completely because it removes many steps from common tasks. It will grow in functionality as more actions are added. It's very impressive precisely because it works better than the previous voice recognition experiences so many have referenced in this thread.

We are visual animals. How something "looks" is important to use. Thus we like goofy good looking girls over intelligent plan girls. Or, to draw a more relevant analogy, we preferred (as a group) the original "pretty" Apple iPhone over the (at the time) more powerful Treos and Blackberries.

We are also very much creatures of "touch". That's why so many users express ... satisfaction ... when closing apps on WebOS. Face it, it's really not much more difficult to select Menu then Close than it is is to minimize (by touch), then flick it away, yet most people prefer the latter.

Complete voice-controlled computers were very popular in science fiction years ago. Remember Star Trek? - they even made fun in one of the movies, where Scottie picked up a mouse and talked into it. Yet Paycheck and Minority Report blew everyone's mind with the characters "moving stuff around" in virtual 3D. (See this to get an idea of what I'm talking about ).

And yet the most popular device on the market - by far - has until recently had nothing but a row of icons against a black background. No cards. No live wallpapers. No widgets. And its users are consistently more satisfied than any other platform, especially WebOS.

Now, I don't think either one is going to be completely usable soon (though "soon" is very much a relative term these days), but the notion that voice input is going to render the visual aspects of a UI "irrelevant" - sorry, not going to happen.
    Nor was that my premise. It most certainly can reduce "clunkiness", but if people want to hang on to that canard here, they will no matter what anyone presents to them as being different. People seem to prefer "clunk" to just about anything else these days.
    I had a Clie years ago that had Speech Recognition. Even after it trained me to talk the way it wanted, it was so hard and so limited. The Android Speech Recognition up until now was worlds better. Great for a quick command but useless for writing an email. The text was pretty accurate but it did not capitalize the first word in sentences or "i" as in "I will."

But after some time with this new Voice Action, I am stunned. It is on a par with Naturally speaking. And the voice commands are so fast and accurate. Here are the sort of ways that I am using it so far.

* send text to Judy Hildebrand I will be there just after five.
    * listen to Jimmy Buffet
    * call John Chase at home
    * send email to Ted McKee Just confirming our meeting at ten tomorrow
    * note to self Find paperwork for Ted
    * navigate to Olive Garden in [town]

So far it is spot on and even capitalizes right. Someone other than Naturally Speaking finally got this right.

Any place that you are comfortable talking on the phone is a place you can be comfortable with Voice Actions. It is pretty much the same thing.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I had a Clie years ago that had Speech Recognition. Even after it trained me to talk the way it wanted, it was so hard and so limited. The Android Speech Recognition up until now was worlds better. Great for a quick command but useless for writing an email. The text was pretty accurate but it did not capitalize the first word in sentences or "i" as in "I will."

But after some time with this new Voice Action, I am stunned. It is on a par with Naturally speaking. And the voice commands are so fast and accurate. Here are the sort of ways that I am using it so far.

* send text to Judy Hildebrand I will be there just after five.
    * listen to Jimmy Buffet
    * call John Chase at home
    * send email to Ted McKee Just confirming our meeting at ten tomorrow
    * note to self Find paperwork for Ted
    * navigate to Olive Garden in [town]

So far it is spot on and even capitalizes right. Someone other than Naturally Speaking finally got this right.

Any place that you are comfortable talking on the phone is a place you can be comfortable with Voice Actions. It is pretty much the same thing.

- Craig
    Glad to hear that there seems to be much improvement in this technology.

I will however point out that in all your example you are using very common English words and names. I come from an International background and these types of technologies seem to never work well for me.

Try calling/sending an email/txt to someone with name like Rahul Sood.

Try asking for navigation to a restaurant named Lubnan Zaman.

Try asking to listen to enrique iglesias

Usually Voice commands just don't know what to do with names like that. I can only imagine what would happen to people with accents ( I don't have one myself).

Also, I would love to hear if you are still using the feature after about 1 month. My experience has been that most people stop using it after the novelty has worn off. We are just to conditioned to use our hands to navigate a tool such as a phone.
    On my Pre this kind of text takes me about 60 seconds:
    > Tap Launcher
    > Tap Contacts
    > start typing Julia
    > Tap Julia Rashad
    > Tap number to text
    > Type: "I found the yellow jersey and can meet you with it at the north gate bleachers at 4"
    > Tap Send

On an Adroid with Swype its about 30 seconds.

With Voice Actions it is:
    > Tap Voice Search
    > Say "send text to julia rashad I found the yellow jersey and can meet you with it at the north gate bleachers at 4"
    > Tap Send

I can do the Voice Actions text in 10 seconds while I am driving.

Voice Actions works great at home or anywhere that you could have a phone call. It is perfect when driving. It is not good at all when you are in meetings.

So far Voice Actions listens probably better than I do. If it is unsure of a word, it highlights it in blue with options in case it picked wrong.

Many still prefer other speech recognition apps like Vlingo. Pick whatever app works best for you.

- Craig

Also consider: Talk to Me hears your spoken words and says it in other languages.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/13/2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    Also, I would love to hear if you are still using the feature after about 1 month. My experience has been that most people stop using it after the novelty has worn off. We are just to conditioned to use our hands to navigate a tool such as a phone.
    The bigger (and very related) question would be:

Have the voice commands capabilities rendered the complaints about "UI clunkiness" irrelevant?
  14.    #54  
    Awesome examples. I don't think this is the be all, end all of UI technology, but it's definitely a significant leap forward. Maybe it's just the difference between the information paradigms of WebOS and Android that have some people here indifferent or openly hostile to the idea.

Android is laden with widgets and automation apps like Tasker take away a lot of the necessary interaction with your phone and push data to you while handling routine tasks.

WebOS is more about passive data needing to be refreshed, swiped, and rearranged to your pleasure.

I don't think one is better than the other, per se. I think Android is objectively more efficient, but that could always change.
    The bigger (and very related) question would be:
    Have the voice commands capabilities rendered the complaints about "UI clunkiness" irrelevant?
    If the voice command capabilities can totally circumvent the UI at all times (well, most of the time anyway) I'd say perhaps it would. Additionally if voice command capability can greatly improve Android's multitasking that would also greatly contribute to the de-clunking of the UI.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/13/2010 at 02:16 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  16.    #56  
    I also suggest you guys check out Edwin.

You can map it to a hot key, and have some awesome voice interaction while in any app.
    Just tried Google Voice actions on the Evo for the first time yesterday and first impressions: wow.

This isn't something that I will use religiously but it's great having it as an option, especially while driving! It's scary accurate too, I was able to successfully fire off several txt's while driving simply by talking into my phone via my headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    On my Pre this kind of text takes me about 60 seconds:
    > Tap Launcher
    > Tap Contacts
    > start typing Julia
    > Tap Julia Rashad
    > Tap number to text
    > Type: "I found the yellow jersey and can meet you with it at the north gate bleachers at 4"
    > Tap Send

On an Adroid with Swype its about 30 seconds.

With Voice Actions it is:
    > Tap Voice Search
    > Say "send text to julia rashad I found the yellow jersey and can meet you with it at the north gate bleachers at 4"
    > Tap Send

I can do the Voice Actions text in 10 seconds while I am driving.

Voice Actions works great at home or anywhere that you could have a phone call. It is perfect when driving. It is not good at all when you are in meetings.

So far Voice Actions listens probably better than I do. If it is unsure of a word, it highlights it in blue with options in case it picked wrong.

Many still prefer other speech recognition apps like Vlingo. Pick whatever app works best for you.

- Craig

Also consider: Talk to Me hears your spoken words and says it in other languages.
    I know this has nothing to do with the current discussion but, you really go the long way about sending a text message with webos.

I have one of two ways that are more efficient:

>slide keyboard out
    >type Julia Rashad
    >tap sms next to number I want to txt
    >type message
    >tap send

Or (If Ive already sent the person a text/IM in the past)

>Tap Message app
    >slide keyboard out
    >type Julia Rashad
    >tap conversation
    >type message
    >tap send

I'm sure there are even more efficient ways but, I hope this makes texting and IM a little more efficient.

Edit:

I just tested both methods and it took me 25 sec in the both methods to text your message to a contact I have in my phone book.
    Last edited by zulfaqar621; 08/13/2010 at 04:03 PM.
    I know this has nothing to do with the current discussion but, you really go the long way about sending a text message with webos.

I think that this is 91 keystrokes instead of 93 keystrokes? Versus 2 keystrokes?

Please try sending this message to someone using your Pre. You are at about 60 seconds, right? Do you want to be driving while you send this text? Texting while driving is illegal in my state.

I can do it in 2 keystrokes and in 10 seconds with Voice Actions while driving.

The people who use Vlingo say it is easier and faster than even Voice Actions but I have never tried it. But if I can already send a text like this in 2 clicks, that's pretty good for me.

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/13/2010 at 04:07 PM.

>slide keyboard out
    >type Julia Rashad
    >tap sms next to number I want to txt
    >type message
    >tap send

Or (If Ive already sent the person a text/IM in the past)

>Tap Message app
    >type Julia Rashad
    >tap conversation
    >type message
    >tap send

I'm sure there are even more efficient ways but, I hope this makes texting and IM a little more efficient.
    On the Evo, all you have to do (from anywhere) is long-press the home button. That brings up the google voice action prompt, speak your command and viola.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast