1.    #1  
    Hi all,

This is an amazing and interesting approach to gaming!

Take care,

Jay

Helicopter game lets iPhone, iPad join forces
    Superb 'Chopper 2' turns iPhone into a controller for the iPad

By Winda Benedetti Citizen Gamer, msnbc.com, updated 2 hours 20 minutes ago

It wasn't long ago that I complained that iPad games had yet to wow me.
    Looks like I can stop my impatient foot-tapping now. The superb "Chopper 2" has landed in Apple's App Store and it's just the kind of mobile game I've been waiting for.

This side-scrolling flight combat game, which is universal for iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches, is not only a well-crafted piece of gaming, it also does something I've been hoping to see more of it puts the player's iPhone and iPad to work together.

The game puts players in control of a battlefield helicopter. You control the machine's flight through embattled skies by tilting your iDevice side to side. (You can also choose to control your helicopter using a touch-screen joystick, but this the less-preferable option.)

As you soar through the air, you'll gun down enemy soldiers, tanks and helicopters, protecting friendly convoys and trains, and saving civilians all while attempting to avoid return fire and flocks of birds.

"Chopper 2" includes 36 missions across 12 locations. The game's graphics (HD on both the iPad and iPhone 4) look great, meanwhile aiming and shooting using the devices' touch screens works like a dream. Simply touch anywhere and slide your finger to aim. In fact, from the music to the in-game typed instructions, the whole package is surprisingly elegant.

But what really sets "Chopper 2" apart is its iPhone-as-controller option.

iPad owners who want to play the game will find that tilting the larger device to control flight is just fine the machine is light enough that it doesn't feel awkward. But connecting an iPhone via Bluetooth and using it as a controller is simply awesome.

Synching your iPhone to your iPad is a cinch. Check under Options and click the Remote Control button and the game will walk you through the process quickly. Then just prop up your Pad and use your phone to steer your copter and take out enemies.

Majic Jungle Software
    The not-so-friendly skies just got more interesting. You can play helicopter combat game "Chopper 2" on an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. But this excellent game is at its best when players combine the iPad with an iPhone.
    For an even bigger "Chopper 2" experience, you can plug your iPad into your TV using a component cable or VGA adapter and then play the game using the iPad as the controller and your TV as the display.

This isn't the first game that's made use of the iPad and iPhone together. If you have the iPad version of "Scrabble," you can download an app to your phone that lets you use it as your own private tile rack.

But "Chopper 2" makes a huge step forward, one that I hope other developers will run with.

I think it's a pretty good bet that a good portion of iPad owners also have iPhones. So I can't wait to see how other games make use of the combination.

You can find Winda Benedetti flying the friendly skies right here on Twitter.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video just never shuts up.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I can't wait to see how other games make use of the combination.
    There are actually other games that take advantage of the iDevice combo. I'm sure the pPad will have an appropriate PDK for easy porting.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There are actually other games that take advantage of the iDevice combo. I'm sure the pPad will have an appropriate PDK for easy porting.
    Scrabble for iPad takes advantage of this too. You hold your tiles on an iPhone/iPod Touch and 'fling' them onto the main board to spell words.