View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 94 of 182 FirstFirst ... 44848990919293949596979899104144 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 3633
    Lots of webOS apps seemed watered down. But i guess that's quality over quantity right?
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    you really expected hp to buy palm in july then release a webos device in October? Not possible. Why do you think HP bought Palm? For their outdated patents? HP will definitely support Webos.
    Outdated patents? That's ignorance speaking i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    HP is denouncing and rumor of WebOS in their upcoming HP Slate tablet. You know what that means? Even less interest to invest in WebOS at the moment. People are leaving, HP is putting it on the backburner for now. $2B for Palm is really a small price for the patents they have. HP will use it as they see needed.
    I could see HP adapting it as a simple UI on devices like printers.

But for smartphones & tablets? I'd rather see them working on a webOS version of Sense UI to put on android. The UI is differentiator enough IMO. It's all about the cards and visual multitasking.

Dump the webOS app catalog. That's a game even HP can't win and wouldn't be worth trying to make it profitable. What would be the point in continuing webOS as an OS? HP doesn't need all that to sell devices. Just a different take on Android.

HP has the patents to make it happen now.
    More food for thought: Google Maps takes about 20x longer to load on the Pre and has a lousy, barebones interface compared to the version on my friend's Incredible.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Actually, Sprint Nav is better than Google Maps imo... well, for navigation.
    And for Maps itself, Google does it really well.

And whoever said quality over quantity.... it seems like Android is getting quality and quantity. =/
    I own a couple of Pre's (at least for a little bit longer).

It's not a question of me wanting webOS to fail. It already has.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    O ye of little faith.
    It is easier and better for a company to be in control of all aspects instead of relying on a 3rd party. Better integration, software updates, hardware etc. There are already enough Android devices out there competing with each other with different variations. Some being abandoned with no updates and some waiting months to be updated. Last I heard app developers are not making much on paid applications on Android plus Android did not just happen overnight. It took them over a year to even be noticed and the smart phone market is big enough for more players. If you want WebOS to fail so bad why are you even on this website?

The catalog will get better. Gameloft just released some games for Android and Adroid has been on the market for almost 3 years. Palm got them in just a few months. I don't know what is so great about the Android Market either. The majority of the apps are useless just like they are on all platforms. The App Catalog is generating revenue for Palm and the developers. The majority just steal apps on Android.
    Yeah, Android development is so lame, which is why all the developers are heading there. They just got an Epicurious app. Rhapsody is there. Only Android and iPhone are getting Bitbop, the Fox Mobile version of Hulu. I could go on and on.

Where are the big developer stories on WebOS? Gameloft? Wow, they can port iPhone games with no effort because they have identical guts. So impressive. Where are the 3D games made FOR WebOS? Where's the name brand apps that take advantage of gestures?

It's fine to love WebOS, and Android is far from perfect and has plenty of issues. But let's not paint some fantasy world here.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    It is easier and better for a company to be in control of all aspects instead of relying on a 3rd party.
    Can you cite a successful company where that's true? I'm not trying to argue because Im genuinely curious and couldn't think of one on my own because it seems that no company nowadays does "everything" on their own without any reliance on 3rd party.
    Android developer support came with critical mass and successful sales across three US carriers. Droid branding and advertising helped, but they had already sold several million Android devices before one Droid went on sale.

By contrast, WebOS has bombed on pretty much every carrier with sales only dropping each quarter. "Apps will come" is hardly a certainty.
    Ok. You probably didn't know that before the Droid launched Palm was leading Android.
    When you factor in the old palm OS maybe. But then again, for awhile there, palm was beating iphone too. :P
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Apple and RIM comes to mind.
    Apple I don't agree with because as much as they WANT a closed system, they're a smart company and know when to leverage 3rd party support into survival.

On computers then without Adobe (and debateably, Microsoft) then Apple wouldve struggled even worse through the 90s.) And despite all the complaints of iPhone being so "closed", the App store is almost entirely 3rd party which is why have so many apps that competing mobile OSs are missing.

RIM is a good example but IMO I have no idea why anyone uses them these days. They seem so limiting because they don't play well with others. I have friends who are crazy for BB but if RIM is the best example of a company that exists without 3rd party support then I hope WebOS does NOT model themselves after them.
    I still have the same pre I got back in june. No problems with it.
    Me too! Unfortunately, my volume rocker isn't working for volume down. What I'm going to do is bring my Pre in for warranty replacement. No EVO for me. Pre at least for another year!
    I think Sprint Nav on the Pre is great. The only other phones I ever used it on were an 800w and an Instinct, but I don't remember them having any features the webOS version doesn't have -- except a compass/speedometer display, which we have plenty of apps for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Actually, Sprint Nav is better than Google Maps imo... well, for navigation.
    And for Maps itself, Google does it really well.

And whoever said quality over quantity.... it seems like Android is getting quality and quantity. =/
    I'm not talking about Google Maps, I'm talking about Google Navigation:

Sprint nav is def. more accurate than Google Maps Navigation.

They still have some way to go. I'll be using Sprint Nav on my future Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Sprint nav is def. more accurate than Google Maps Navigation.

They still have some way to go. I'll be using Sprint Nav on my future Evo.
    They're both as accurate as the GPS on the phone. I'm getting the EVO too next Friday but from what I've seen of Google Navigation I don't have much of a reason to use Sprint Nav.
    I am ready for an upgrade next month and I'm really strugling with the fact that the C40 is no where in site.. I truly love WebOs however the hardware on my original Sprint Pre is almost obsolete in todays market, with the EVO coming out early next month with hardware and features like no other phone it will be hard not to give Android a try no madder how much I love WebOs... I will wait about 3 months after the EVO launch before I use my upgrade or unless a launch date for the next palm/HP comes before that wishfull thinking! My question to you is how long will you wait for new hardware? I went from one of the best phones out there and in a yrs time its slowly becoming a phone of the past with the OS of the future!! 1 month, 6 months... You surely wouldn't wait another yr would you???
    How long will I wait? As long as it takes...

While you are right, there is stiff competition from a hardware standpoint, you have to remember this is the same phone you got a year ago - arguably better because of all the we bOS updates.

If you jump ship to the EVO how many software updates do you think you will get in your first year? I really haven't been following Android, but I don't think you will see nearly the same number...

EDIT: Right now the only thing that would make me switch at some point in time in the future would be if Sprint made some statement saying they were not offering any future Palm phones.