View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 91 of 182 FirstFirst ... 41818687888990919293949596101141 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 3633
    I think that they did a pretty good job of putting a massive screen on a phone and keeping the phone bezel to a minimum because most phones have an inch above and below the screen of wasted space.
  2.    #1802  
    Feel free to post in this thread but note that the real action on the HTC EVO is in the HTC EVO Forum:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/

- Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 05/25/2010 at 04:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I think that they did a pretty good job of putting a massive screen on a phone and keeping the phone bezel to a minimum because most phones have an inch above and below the screen of wasted space.
    The video revealed the pre is acutally taller than the evo when the keyboard is being used.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    Its kind of funny how cell phones used to be big, then got smaller and smaller, and now they are getting bigger and bigger. Pretty soon we will all be carrying bag phones again.
    I hear ya but I think the interesting thing is how we're starting to do more and more cool stuff that necessitates larger displays -- things that we never would have even imagined being possible 2 or 3 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Also don't forget your Anniversary Rewards!

Sprint
    So - it says my eligibility date is 6/1/2010. Then at the bottom, it says 'Program expires June 6, 2010'. Is it saying I have to act during those 6 days.
    I love my Pre and webOS, definitely sticking with it. My Pre is almost a year old now and is still going strong. Add to it the webOS community and Preware and I am staying put until Palm releases their next generation smartphone. I hope Sprint will release it but if they don't, oh well, it will be adios Sprint.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I am sticking with my Pre until the new webOS device is released. Rumors are floating about a possible July release for a new phone with MUCH better hardware & specs. Palm knows it has to keep an edge in the market, it will have a new device soon, merger or no.

Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Why would I want to pay $10.00 more for something I cannot use? There is a hint of a nvidia tegra powered Palm device in the works.
    As to this, from what I read it's not so much a 'hint' as it was a comment by the Nvidia CEO simply stating that he would be excited to work with Palm on webOS hardware upgrade. He loves webOS and stated it was an incredible platform. But this would only be a far cry of a speculation to say it is 'hinting' toward a current development...
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I'm sticking with me Pre, all I want is Adobe Flash Player .. c'mon c'mon
    C'MON!!
    I'm thinking about giving Android a chance. If the EVO is released, and there is nothing about a new Palm device (confirmed or rumor!), I might jump ship. All I want it something to look forward to. A "leaked" photo, a Palm employee being fired for leaving the Pre II at the bar, something.
    Waiting for a new WebOS device.

I like the hw on the Evo but it is still Android underneath (2.2 or not). No thanks.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I won't be doing anything on June 1. Waiting to see what Palm does. But I would like to see what I can get as an anniversary gift.
    I use a Droid Eris as my work phone. I currently use the Eris for almost everything than my Pre. I only use my Pre for calls and texting. I'm planning on switching. Anti-android crowd here likes to spread mis-information. I understand some people here have a false sense of a vested interest in Palm's future. They will defend Palm liked they did the Treo or Centro. WebOS isn't progressing fast enough for me. I hope Palm turns it around with HP and WebOS turns out to be something more than the Printer OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike929 View Post
    well this be updated to 2.2. I've never had an Andriod phone...just Palm (600,755p and Pre). I heard the update process on Andriod isn't that easy.

Also how are people taking the 29.99 fee to use/add the hotspot ability of the Evo? I already knew about the 10 "extra" charge just by having the phone. But then the rep told me about the 29.99 fee for hotspot.

-Mike
    I plan on using PDAnet from the Android Market to tether.
    Quote Originally Posted by licotto View Post
    I am sticking with my Pre until the new webOS device is released. Rumors are floating about a possible July release for a new phone with MUCH better hardware & specs. Palm knows it has to keep an edge in the market, it will have a new device soon, merger or no.

As to this, from what I read it's not so much a 'hint' as it was a comment by the Nvidia CEO simply stating that he would be excited to work with Palm on webOS hardware upgrade. He loves webOS and stated it was an incredible platform. But this would only be a far cry of a speculation to say it is 'hinting' toward a current development...
    I am aware of none except some guy said he was in a Sprint store and was told that the 'new' Pre had edge to edge screen. Sounded very unsubstantiated, although it would be cool and make some sense. Why not release a perfected Pre?

Hold the ULTRA palm for HP input and the carrier leverage they will bring on release - maybe wait until October to double up on the WebTab hype. I think Droids cool name, holiday release and fun marketing really helped it. Also face it the DSi/ipod generation is driving cell phones - therefore the popularity of gaming/utubing slabs. The Palm "evo" should be a holiday release.
    Really no pictures?

Does it have a tuner built in to android.. app for it by htc? Does it tell the name of the songs and ask if you want to buy them?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    If you truly love webOS and are aggravated with the Pre hardware, and are thinking of crossing over to the Evo 4g, you might be disappointed. I say might. Let me say this first: By no means am I bashing the Evo, or Android for that matter. Nor am I an obsessive Palm/webOS fanatic. I'm simply someone who follows and enjoys good technology.

At first glance, the Evo does have an allure to it. Believe me. And when you first hold it in your hand that allurement turns into Christmas morning. Prior to even engaging the device I found myself staring at the shear dimensions. This phone is BIG. Need an analogy, here's one: The HTC Evo 4g is the Ron Jeremy of the smartphone world. Catch my drift... Make no mistake, the brilliant 4.3in LCD is indeed brilliant. For those of you like me who share the need for a physical keypad the Evo can change your mind. Once in landscape mode to enter text it felt, weird. Weird because entering text was rather enjoyable. So enjoyable I made sure to text friends and family telling them I was texting them from an Evo 4g.

So how about the 8mp camera. I'll say this. The Pre's camera is comparable, but only during daylight. Pre users used to showing off their LED flash should hope not to come across Evo users. Why? It's bright. Bright enough for other patrons to inquire what kind of phone had that bright of a flash. Even after a night of drinks, user error, and dim lighting the Evo's camera took nice photos. Video recording on any phone still has some ways to go. And the Evo is definitely a step forward. I really can't give a fair assessment due in part to again, video recording on a phone as of now doesn't interest me personally.

Next I wanted put this phone's name to the test. I do live in a strong 4g market so signal strength was consistent and did not drop. The 4g widget is simple. Flip on, flip off. So how did it perform? Against a "stock" Pre hands down the Evo outperformed. Streaming Youtube was quick and smooth. No chop or breaks while viewing. Obviously also due in part to the 1ghz snap cpu. However, when compared to that of an overclocked Pre the Evo only slightly outperformed. I do mean slightly. This still leaves me wondering if 4g, as far as phones go, has any true value to paying an additional cost for the service. (As far as 3g/4g aircards for pc's, 4g is noticeably quicker) But, loading websites is a different story.

Now the browser, with Flash. Its nice. Very nice. Viewing sites via 4g with the aid of a fast processor and Flash is refreshing. And quick. Even an overclocked Pre cannot keep up. How much faster? I'll keep it simple and say you can see the difference. But even without Flash, the webOS browser still gets my pick.

At the end of the day the Evo is still Android. Android 2.1 that is. The 2.1 update does bring improvements to Android devices. In my opinion the speed while swiping through pages and browsing the app market is the most noticeable. (Even in non-Evo 4g devices one can see these differences)

I'm on my second Pre. I've lost over 100 contacts via Palm Profile "error". I've spent 3 days dealing with online support, customer support, technical support, and engineering support. In the end, I love webOS. Not because I have a Pre. But because of the progressive abilities of webOS itself. As far as other OS's, I simply can't think of any that could sway me over. Yes, having the ability to access tens of thousands of apps would be great. But in my opinion Android is, well too simple of a user experience. But, to each their own.

If you truly enjoy webOS you should opt to save that Upgrade for a future webOS device. I will say this however, if it weren't for Preware as well as other developers efforts, I would seriously consider the Evo. But thankfully we have them. As far as hardware issues, make no mistake: Palm is a business. They know the competition. They know their short comings. They also know regardless of what carriers they can reach agreements with, that a future webOS device must be a winner.

Bottom line, thanks to the efforts of the webOS community, I'm holding on to my upgrade for a little while longer.
    Nice, honest review. Well done.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    a phone that size may be the only time i may be willing to sacrifice a real keyboard. I hope palm releases something in October, and then hp releases something by this time next year. I'm most likely going to be skipping next generation, and going for the one after.
    How do you feel about the size, is it awkward to pocket the thing?
    I was a bit surprised when by the size of my Pre when I bought it. I hadn't seen it in person before launch day and it was smaller than I imagined. I wonder if the EVO will be larger or smaller than I imagine.