View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to EVO when you are eligible?

Voters
892. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Yes! I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

286 32.06%
  • No Way! I <3 my WebOS and won't upgrade to any other OS

222 24.89%
  • Maybe, depends on how much it will cost me out of pocket.

80 8.97%
  • Not just yet. I'm happy with my Pre... for now...

286 32.06%
  • What the heck is an EVO?

18 2.02%
Page 9 of 182 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    4.5" Screen? How in the heck do you fit that in a holster on your belt. I don't want to carry a net book around, I want a phone.
    HTC EVO 4G vs. iPhone vs. Nexus One - Engadget Galleries

By Engadget's comparison pics, it's barely bigger than an iPhone. Just well-engineered to maximize screen space.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I understand Palm does not want to make the mistakes of the past, but I would be happy if they did a joint venture with HTC, granted this may not be in HTCs favor. I guess we'll see in the summer if palm can come up with better hardware on their on.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    4.5" Screen? How in the heck do you fit that in a holster on your belt. I don't want to carry a net book around, I want a phone.
    Just like you do any other phone.

We have to remember that phone size is more about efficiency than screen size. The Pre may be comfortable in your hand but the contoured design adds to the waste of surface area so it "feels" smaller than it is. (And I say that as a Pre and iPhone user).

With these crazy 4.3" screens then they are really pushing the efficiency of the visible screen by turning off all that unused space into screen real estate. (Something Palm should have done rather than the gesture area)

So while a 4.3" phone may seem like a goliath in your hands, they won't actually "feel" much different in a holster or pocket than the phone you're carrying around now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Here's what HTC should have done: remove those buttons at the bottom. They don't work very well (on any HTC phone), they're unnecessary and they take up extra real estate. This way, the screen's bigger than the iPhone's but the phone is not taller - so it fits well in your pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I don't know....when I look at those pics, it looks really big. I'm still hoping that the Nexus One will be able to be purchased as part of my family's plan...if so, I'm leaning towards that.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Here's what HTC should have done: remove those buttons at the bottom. They don't work very well (on any HTC phone), they're unnecessary and they take up extra real estate. This way, the screen's bigger than the iPhone's but the phone is not taller - so it fits well in your pocket.
    Isn't the Home Button essential for an Android phone?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I'll be getting it if Palm hasn't at least announced a new phone for Sprint by the time the Evo is released, or my 1 year is up, whichever comes first.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    No thanks buttons are good
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    Seriously, how many threads like this do we need? In the Palm Pre forum?
    While I agree that there's a correct place for these threads, I think their prominence is telling: a *LOT* of Pre owners are dissatisfied and looking to see if others like them are thinking what they're thinking.

I think it's an interesting poll of Pre customer satisfaction. The fact that there are a lot of these threads means that satisfaction is not high, and that there are a lot of people looking for alternatives.

I'm probably one of them.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The Evo is going to be Sprint's new flagship device, that puts the Pre/Pixi as second fiddle. I bet we see some crazy marketing this summer from Sprint toting the Evo with 4G.
    theyve already got ads all over engadget touting the evo.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    While I agree that there's a correct place for these threads, I think their prominence is telling: a *LOT* of Pre owners are dissatisfied and looking to see if others like them are thinking what they're thinking.

I think it's an interesting poll of Pre customer satisfaction. The fact that there are a lot of these threads means that satisfaction is not high, and that there are a lot of people looking for alternatives.

I'm probably one of them.
    lol, I think I'll have to agree with you. The only thing that I'm struggling with right now is, I want an physical keyboard still.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    i dont my physical keyboard on the pre is weak sauce, i use an ipod sometimes and once i became accustomed to the keyboard on it, i think i could live with a vk.
    Hate to say it as I love my Pre but there are going to be Pre-deactivations by the tens of thousands come the upgrade window in June.

I just can't see Palm releasing something before then that could even come close...but I am open to being proven wrong!!
    What can they learn? People like BIG screens and expandable memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post

We have to remember that phone size is more about efficiency than screen size. The Pre may be comfortable in your hand but the contoured design adds to the waste of surface area so it "feels" smaller than it is. (And I say that as a Pre and iPhone user).

With these crazy 4.3" screens then they are really pushing the efficiency of the visible screen by turning off all that unused space into screen real estate. (Something Palm should have done rather than the gesture area)

So while a 4.3" phone may seem like a goliath in your hands, they won't actually "feel" much different in a holster or pocket than the phone you're carrying around now.
    whoa whoa whao... I'll admit, I wasn't too keen on the gesture area, but after using that for so long and then grabbing my gf 3GS, it's a must have.

Maybe it could be smaller or something, but I would hate to see it go completely just for more real estate on the screen.
    gesture area and a physical kb. Oh yeah, WebOS would help as well. Android is better than the joke that has become winmo but it's still not WebOS.

HW specs rock on the EVO. Put WeBOS on it and I'll buy it but otherwise, no true multitasking is a no-sale for me.
    I don't think anyone will learn anything until sales start on the phone.
    So it is bigger than an iPhone, which is already too big for me. To each their own, I guess.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    Seriously, how many threads like this do we need? In the Palm Pre forum?

There is a thread/section of this forum already.

Stop posting about the HTC Evo, no one cares in the PALM PRE forum. Notice I didn't say "no one cares on PreCentral," but that no one cares in this specific forum that is meant for discussion for the webOS devices Palm Pre and Palm Pre Plus, not for other platforms or devices.

Just like you don't see Pixi threads in the Pre forum, why should we see HTC Evo threads in the Pre forum?
    I agree - I think all the constant complaints need to be isolated into their own thread. I long for the day when I can come into this forum and not find any "Pre is dead/or is dying" posts. If you don't like the Pre - that is your right and privilege - get the other phone you admire and migrate to their forum. There is a difference between an "I need help" post and an "attack" post. I love my Pre and if the day comes that I decide to leave it will be reluctantly because the Pre is not meeting my needs. I knew in advance the Pre was a first-year phone and with Sprint that gives me/them a year to meet my needs. I sincerely hope Palm makes it - but if they don't it is no big deal. It is just a tool. I would respectfully suggest the complainers do more research before moving to their next phone.
    If you want a PDA/ pocket computer buy it, if you want a phone for day to day use get a webOS phone. Nothing comes close to the webOS GUI in terms of usage. Also the pre's form factor is great for a phone.

Sucks that they didn't put a OLED in it, who wants to stare at a tft for 2hours to watch a film when your eyes get screwed up after 10mins? The OLED in my Zune HD is amazing, so clear you can hardly tell its a screen and you can stare at it all day and its like watching a wall, no eye strain what so ever, I will never buy a tft/LCD phone again.